PDA

View Full Version : Tool of Unknown Origin...?

Orion the Hunter
December 08, 2017, 00:08
I have posted this a few times...at a few forum sites...over the course of a few years and as of yet, it still remains an unknown.

History: I bought this gadget over...geez...I want to say 25 years ago. If memory serves, it was some tool to a FAL, HK or AK, but I can't remember.

Once it arrived in the mailbox, it went right into the Tools & Parts Bin and there it has remained. Several years ago, when I was digging through parts and pieces, I re-discovered it and am clueless as to what it might go for.

Does anyone recognize this handy little device and what it is used for? Just as it looks, it is a metal handle doo-hicky with a roll-pin attached through.

https://i.imgur.com/bYCTpAH.jpg

Thanks!

NFADLR
December 08, 2017, 00:55
It's either a wrench or a type of indexing tool is my guess.

https://i.imgur.com/bYCTpAH.jpg

Orion the Hunter
December 09, 2017, 05:20
But to what...for what? Kind of an odd gadget..

lysanderxiii
December 09, 2017, 08:21
Depending on the radius, I'd say a homemade gas tube nut wrench.

J. Armstrong
December 09, 2017, 08:55
My first inclination was to say homemade flash hider wrench ( again, depending on size and radius ) with the pin engaging one of the FH holes but a combo device has the holes angled so it wouldn't be for an FAL.

adbm3
December 09, 2017, 10:48
Spanner wrench of some sort. Home made. Looks like it would work on the gas adjustment for the FN49. Or even the front sight extension for the SIG P210-5.

NFADLR
December 09, 2017, 10:57
Ho made is correct as the roll pin isn't at the center of the arc.

Orion the Hunter
December 09, 2017, 17:34
Unfortunately it was so freaking long ago when I bought the darn thing, but I can vaguely recall that I ordered it from a Gun Parts store or something. I too was thinking “Homemade Job”... but noticed the steel is not what I would expect from Homemade...it looks manufactured...yet the roll pin screams out Homemade. Ya, I have learned a valuable lesson to BAG and LABEL oddball parts so 25 years later...I know what I bought!

Frontline
December 09, 2017, 18:45
I collect vintage GI armorer tools, and not knowing the dimensions of the handle, nor the radius of the spanner, but having seen my fair share of roll pins in my day, Im gonna throw out a WILD guess and say a spanner wrench for the EARLY colt receiver extension nut, now known as a castle nut on the modern AR15/M16, but back then it only had a small hole for an indexing pin to engage. The wear pattern on the end of the pin kind of supports my theory.

It could be a local Mfr, which was not uncommon. I still have most of my 'in house' tools used at the armory, simply because they were better than what was available or wasn't at all available.

Again, without anything to reference scale, this is my best guess.

Orion the Hunter
December 10, 2017, 04:18
Son of a GUN...ya know, I also bought a Clone AR way back when and was buying spare parts, Sight Tools, Firing Pins (you know the drill). I may have purchased that sucker for the AR and it eventually found a home in the FAL Parts Bin!

I took another picture of spanner portion here:
https://i.imgur.com/GwrQ0wL.jpg

An here is some measurements:

Full Length: 4"
Thickness: 3/8"
Width: 3/4"
Diameter: 1"
Radius: 1/2"

I will have to dig out that AR and check it out..

Thanks again, you might be on to something here

yovinny
December 10, 2017, 08:21
I too was thinking “Homemade Job”... but noticed the steel is not what I would expect from Homemade...!

The steel looks like typical hot finish bar stock,,,probably the cheapest utility grade bar stock there is, 1018 and Exactly what youd expect for a shop made spanner.
Unless for some special reason, its also made wrong, the pin should be well offset toward the leading or short end...