PDA

View Full Version : M7/M9 Bayonet Lug for FN FAL

Douglas Wozny
December 05, 2017, 13:46
First, let me assure you that I am well aware of the fact that a bayonet attached to the end of a rifle has extremely limited value. Crowd control and guarding prisoners being the only two that come to mind. SO, please refrain from commenting on the value of mounting a bayonet on a FAL. I have designed a mounting lug that would allow the mounting of the M7/M9 bayonet on a FAL with the 22 mm grenade launcher/flash suppressor device. I am interested in gaging the interest in such a part. Although, I might be the only person who would think it would be kool to hang a M7/M9 bayonet on the end of my FAL. If anyone is interested in seeing a concept drawing of the lug PM me with your email address.

bigstick61
December 05, 2017, 19:32
First, let me assure you that I am well aware of the fact that a bayonet attached to the end of a rifle has extremely limited value. Crowd control and guarding prisoners being the only two that come to mind. SO, please refrain from commenting on the value of mounting a bayonet on a FAL. I have designed a mounting lug that would allow the mounting of the M7/M9 bayonet on a FAL with the 22 mm grenade launcher/flash suppressor device. I am interested in gaging the interest in such a part. Although, I might be the only person who would think it would be kool to hang a M7/M9 bayonet on the end of my FAL. If anyone is interested in seeing a concept drawing of the lug PM me with your email address.

I'd have some interest. Is it similar to the lugs used on the FNC?

Douglas Wozny
December 06, 2017, 10:32
The design is was inspired by the bayonet lug on the Galil .308 SAR I once owned which is similar to that found on the FNC. Like is said in the original posting (OP) PM me with your email address and I will sent you a concept drawing.

Dean762
December 06, 2017, 11:43

I think its an very interesting idea. I know you dont want any comments on the value of bayos but the tubular bayonet for the combo device is in my humble a poor design and I would welcome an alternative. Probing for mines is another use most people dont think of when they think of bayonets.

Douglas Wozny
December 06, 2017, 12:59
Probing for mines is another use most people dont think of when they think of bayonets.

But you don't have the bayonet mounted on the rifle when are doing the probing.

Dean762
December 06, 2017, 16:55
But you don't have the bayonet mounted on the rifle when are doing the probing.

Well, not usually but I suppose you could ??

ghf
December 07, 2017, 12:46
And, using a metal object to probe for mines was not one of the approved methods in the US Army "awhile back".

I think that CPT (later COL) Lew Millet in Korea and the Brit Paras in at least one night action in the Falklands would say something about the psychological effect on the enemy of a bayonet charge. I have been told that many men willing to take a bullet in the chest become quite squeamish about having their guts probed w/ cold steel.

Dean762
December 07, 2017, 13:23
And, using a metal object to probe for mines was not one of the approved methods in the US Army "awhile back".

I think that CPT (later COL) Lew Millet in Korea and the Brit Paras in at least one night action in the Falklands would say something about the psychological effect on the enemy of a bayonet charge. I have been told that many men willing to take a bullet in the chest become quite squeamish about having their guts probed w/ cold steel.

Didn't know that but doesn't surprise me. I am with you on the second part although my pick for up close would be an e tool not a bayonet. But you use whats handy I suppose.

Douglas Wozny
December 07, 2017, 13:52

According to FM 5-31 dated 1 November 1943, Section III Mine-Field Breaching and Marking, paragraph 43.12 Prodding Method of Mine-Field Breaching, subparagraph b Method "Either a bayonet or the mine probe, M1, may be used."

I believe the "mine probe, M1" was also metal.

308/223shooter
December 07, 2017, 14:25
A bayo is a good all round item to add to your kit, whether you intend to attach it to your rifle or not. Unless you're lazy, and just want to stick it in the ground, muzzle down, like in the movies.
DO they still teach "butt stroke and bayo thrusting" in basic?

ghf
December 08, 2017, 10:53
Doug, roger. Stand corrected.

Don't go back to WWII, but during my time in ('69- '95), it was emphasized to avoid using metal objects to probe w/ due to magnetic mines.

I think that the EIB test, SQT and/ or Soldiers Manual task reflected this, but cant find the standards anymore.

Checked latest manual that I could find (FM 3-34.210, dtd 27 Mar 2007). Para 4-49 says following:

Probe the lane.
Note. A nonmetallic probe is recommended. When a nonmetallic probe is not available, probing tools can be made of any material as long as they are rigid enough to push through the soil, long enough to attempt to penetrate the ground at least 3 inches (vertical depth) at a 30 angle, and small enough so that a Soldier can continue the probing drill for several hours. Magnetic and
nonmagnetic metal tools, such as bayonets, screwdrivers, pencils, pens, and penknives are suitable for probing when a nonmetallic probe is not available.

lew
December 08, 2017, 12:25
A bayo is a good all round item to add to your kit, whether you intend to attach it to your rifle or not. Unless you're lazy, and just want to stick it in the ground, muzzle down, like in the movies.
DO they still teach "butt stroke and bayo thrusting" in basic?

A pocket knife has far more utility than a bayonet. If you can find space for a bayonet and accommodate the weight, you can probably carry another magazine or maybe a small radio.

That having been said, good luck with your quest, Doug.

Dean762
December 08, 2017, 12:26
Doug, roger. Stand corrected.

Don't go back to WWII, but during my time in ('69- '95), it was emphasized to avoid using metal objects to probe w/ due to magnetic mines.

I think that the EIB test, SQT and/ or Soldiers Manual task reflected this, but cant find the standards anymore.

Checked latest manual that I could find (FM 3-34.210, dtd 27 Mar 2007). Para 4-49 says following:

Probe the lane.
Note. A nonmetallic probe is recommended. When a nonmetallic probe is not available, probing tools can be made of any material as long as they are rigid enough to push through the soil, long enough to attempt to penetrate the ground at least 3 inches (vertical depth) at a 30 angle, and small enough so that a Soldier can continue the probing drill for several hours. Magnetic and
nonmagnetic metal tools, such as bayonets, screwdrivers, pencils, pens, and penknives are suitable for probing when a nonmetallic probe is not available.

So I guess my statement wasn't that stupid after all. Will wonders never cease ? :beer: I agree with 308/223 a bayo Can be a useful piece of kit. My point in mentioning the mine thing is just to remind people that the bayonet has uses going beyond sticking it on a rifle and shoving it in a water based medium. :skull::skull:

Jarhead504
December 08, 2017, 14:52
Old jarhead cheer: 'FIX BAYONETS! FIX BAYONETS! Fix bayonets! " Abolutley motivating to the jarhead and blood-curdling to the opposing side. To be shouted at the top of your young jarhead lungs, in unison with a hundred or hundreds of other young jarheads until the Drill Instructor commands cease and desist.

Go for it. Bayonets make "liberals" go into apoplexy, so installing these lugs, even on a cell phone, would not hurt.

Jarhead

twistie
December 08, 2017, 14:59
When I was in the Aussie army that "under the Geneva convention it was illegal to bayonet someone with a Rusty bayonet" . Ha ha. Never did find out if that was true. cheers