PDA

View Full Version : current issue 'tan" 30 rd mags

gew98
December 03, 2017, 09:30
A buddy got a sack of these flat new mags. Neat tan color with light blue followers. I got three off of him. Anybody have any experience with them.

Mebsuta
December 03, 2017, 11:39
First I have heard of it. Here's a picture.

http://imge-ws.tg89.com/123456x1/forum/201608/18/092848bb2zionidcli8dc3.jpg

cowbilly
December 03, 2017, 12:14
A buddy got a sack of these flat new mags. Neat tan color with light blue followers. I got three off of him. Anybody have any experience with them.

Blue followers are latest issue if it is milspec/USGI, bullet rides slightly higher in order to ensure the new M855A1 tip does not tear up feed ramps or nose dive into the aluminum receiver where the barrel extension meets the upper (or at least that is what I was told but I have never seen that happen). I have only run into a few of these as my unit still has the brown/tan follower mags. As far as I know, there should be no difference in function/use. They are hard to come by right now on the civilian side.

OMR_RDTandE
December 03, 2017, 12:39
I thought the Gen 3 Pmag in MCT was the latest and greatest for .MIL?

TerryN
December 04, 2017, 01:47

Naw, this is the new-and-improved mag, for use with M855A1 ammo - and regular old M855, too. I've got some info around here somewhere on it, hiding on my desk. Somewhere. :facepalm:

This M855A1 ammo sure causes more problems than it solves, IMHO. It wears out barrels faster, tears up feed ramps, etc.

ETA: Here we go, the Enhanced Performance Magazine, NSN: 1005-01-630-9508. Issued 7 each with all NEW M4A1s. Big Army sez don't order any other mags, and replace them with the new EPM when they become unserviceable. Big Army just officially approved use of P-Mags a couple of months ago - after they had announced the new EPM, which (officially) will replace the P-Mag.

Tuscan Raider
December 04, 2017, 03:54
If he finds any more, let me know.:wink:

lockjaw
December 04, 2017, 05:31

The PMAGs are "approved," but most trigger pullers that I know (including myself) prefer USGI aluminum mags with the most preferred follower.

Mags are common and expendable. If they appear to be in rough shape and and/overly nasty, replace them.

My biggest gripe against PMAGS is that they don't fit flush against each other when stacked. They don't fit well in some mag pouches, especially stacked and don't slide out easily.

In regard to durability, USGI aluminum mags have proven to be more than durable enough for combat for decades. Magazines are also common and expendable. If in doubt, replace it.

hueyville
December 04, 2017, 05:40
Interesting information about the M855A1, have fired about a dozen rounds of my milspec stash so far as my supply seems to have been a one time deal and keeping whats left for zombies. Have fired a few dozen handloaded M855A1 pills in 5.56. All I find is pull downs now but do have a nice load that duplicates milspec velocity with the M855 A1 pull downs, 22 Nosler turns them into very interesting projectiles when add 300 fps over 5.56 velocity.

Used my old original load development information to use in 7.62 NATO with sabots and while guessing the actual speed limit up close to 5,000 fps, if push past 4,100 fps in sabot they spin off in goofy directions like angry bees. Did get about 50 fps more out of M855 A1 in 7.62 cases using a compressed load of H322 to get darn decent accuracy considering my experiences with sabots. Some day going to find a sabot that stabilizes bullets better than what's currently available.

Wish Barnes or someone would start turning them out of copper or brass. Get too fast and plastic compounds start slipping the rifling or bullet doesn't spin at same rate as sabot OR the little bullets just don't like 5,000 fps as we're never designed for such speeds and spin drift goes haywire. At 25 yards a M855 stays stable and accurate enough at 5,000 fps but not even wasted any M855A1 to play with that fast yet. At 4,200 fps and 4,300 they began to trend into knuckle balls and ceased adding powder.

Have been able to buy several bags but not seen any lately so until get a goofy number in stock will be conservative with testing. But augmenting my small supply of real deal with 530 5.56 after load workup, 250 22 Noslers and 150 7.62 sabot loads ate 1,000 total projectiles with initial load development work. This discussion of advanced barrel wear might be huge issue in 22 Hornady. My first barrel from White Oak Armament was told to expect 1,000 rounds of tack driving before throat began to smoke itself and by 2,000 rounds would be a 250 yard zombie rifle at best due to overboard cartridge erosion issues. Now to see if warning was conservative or spot on.

Hefty cost if true and barrel needs to be replaced every 2,000 rounds or half that for varmint sniping but have turn bolts that are toast by 1,500 rounds with lots of lapping from 700 to 900 round count using standard bullets. If M855A1 increases this phenomenon then next time Midway puts their AR Stoner 22 Nosler barrels on deep discount will need another pair to lap then send for melonite. In process of documenting first AR Stoner barrel lifespan and sent the backup barrel from first buy off for melonite. Once shoot the stock barrel out will do the same with the deep salt bath unit and see if adds enough barrel life to pay for the process.

Good thing is have four total Nosler rifles now so able to spread round count out in my nice barrels and only shoot if coyote or ground hog needs to die. AR Stoner barrel rifle is a range and zombie gun. Friend was bragging about his new range plates and said NO poodle shooter could harm them. Asked him how upset he would be if I proved him wrong and said not at all as an AR 15 could not hurt them would take an AR 10 with specialty ammo. Put three nice holes in first plate at 50 yards and asked him if wanted me to finish of magazine, he knew I had burned him and quit while still friends and it was funny.

Now back to these tan magazines... Wonder how they act with 6.8 spc II and 458 SOCOM? Uncle Sugar may have considered their bastard rifles on design or at least tested these with their specialty rounds. A milspec magazine that was not as case shape sensitive would be a very good thing even if lost one round of capacity. Lancer L7's are only multicartridge magazines have found that work but with 22 Nosler and 6.8 can only load to 60/70% capacity or cases get tilted as make their way up the spout. Even with Lancer not a big fan of polymer magazines, receivers or guns. Bet will have to pay strong for a few of the new tans while still new and not after a tour of duty in Afganistan.

hueyville
December 04, 2017, 06:02
Just did power search and guy listed a few on Gunbroker but they yanked his auction. Did find this interesting information in my search.

GENTEXT/RMKS/1. PURPOSE. THIS MESSAGE PROVIDES UPDATED GUIDANCE REGARDING THE USE OF MAGAZINES FOR THE M4/M16 SERIES AND M27 INFANTRY AUTOMATIC RIFLE (IAR). 2. BACKGROUND. MARINE CORPS UNITS WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE LEGACY MAGAZINE WHEN ORDERING NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) 1005-01-561-7200; THIS NSN WILL DEFAULT TO THE U.S. ARMY ENHANCED PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE (EPM), NSN 1005-01- 630-9508. AUTHORIZATION TO USE THE EPM FOR TRAINING USE ONLY WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 REMAINS THE SAME. 3. ACTION 3.A. PM IWS AUTHORIZES UNITS TO USE THE FOLLOWING POLYMER MAGAZINES WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, M27, AND M249: NSN 1005-01-615-5169 (BLACK) AND NSN 1005-01-659-7086 (COYOTE TAN). UNITS ARE AUTHORIZED TO REQUISITION THESE MAGAZINES WITH UNIT FUNDS. 3.B. PM IWS WILL UPDATE SL-3S FOR THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 TO LIST THE ABOVE POLYMER MAGAZINE NSNS. NO OTHER POLYMER MAGAZINES ARE AUTHORIZED FOR USE. 4. IOT PROVIDE IMMEDIATE AND SUSTAINING ACCESS TO ALL USERS, A PUBLICATION CONTROL NUMBER (PCN) WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THIS MESSAGE FOR ACCESS VIA THE WEAPONS SYSTEM ID NUMBER SEARCH IN SL-1-2.//

No more P Mags for the Marine Corps. Several other blurbs I found seemed to imply these new magazines will replace P Mags in other branches and units. Wonder if they are result of this testing?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2dhs0oz.jpg

If they are popping up on GB already will hit discussion group marketplaces soon. Market to drive price I suspect.

OMR_RDTandE
December 04, 2017, 08:37
Well, let me start by saying while I generally like Magpul products, the Pmag would not be first choice for an AR magazine. The only Pmags I own are either the .300 Blackout specific or a few 20-rounders for hunting. If I were to use a polymer magazine, the Lancers would be my first choice.

What confuses me is I thought Magpul designed the Gen 3 Pmag, and specifically the Medium Coyote Tan polymer color, to meet Army contract specifications. A contract they subsequently won.

Do we know whether, or not, the new Gen 3 Pmags will properly handle the M855A1 rounds? Is this another case of Big Army pushing an internally developed product over an externally developed commercial product?

https://kitup.military.com/2017/09/army-report-buries-magpul-pmag.html

fly2.0
December 04, 2017, 09:33
A buddy had a stack of these ''Tan 2017 stamped'' magazines w/ lite blue followers , still sealed in plastic .
He was asking $15 each :eek: . But I thought that was a little high for me .

Is that a good price for these ?

hueyville
December 04, 2017, 10:20
It's probably a tad high but everything milspec new usually is. I would take few at his price just for testing if he wants to sell and ship PM me. I can PayPal him today.

hueyville
December 04, 2017, 14:19
A buddy had a stack of these ''Tan 2017 stamped'' magazines w/ lite blue followers , still sealed in plastic .
He was asking $15 each :eek: . But I thought that was a little high for me .

Is that a good price for these ?

Thanx for the hook-up. Will be nice to test with 6.8 and 22 Nosler then since "optimized" for M855A1 will be simple to know which magazines are loaded with the new ammo as will dedicate them specifically to A1 fodder. The Files and it's members rock, Merry Christmas to all y'all and me too as first December firearms related purchase.

ftierson
December 04, 2017, 17:45
Well, let me start by saying while I generally like Magpul products, the Pmag would not be first choice for an AR magazine. The only Pmags I own are either the .300 Blackout specific or a few 20-rounders for hunting. If I were to use a polymer magazine, the Lancers would be my first choice.

What confuses me is I thought Magpul designed the Gen 3 Pmag, and specifically the Medium Coyote Tan polymer color, to meet Army contract specifications. A contract they subsequently won.

Do we know whether, or not, the new Gen 3 Pmags will properly handle the M855A1 rounds? Is this another case of Big Army pushing an internally developed product over an externally developed commercial product?

https://kitup.military.com/2017/09/army-report-buries-magpul-pmag.html

My understanding is that the PMAG30M3 (Gen3) is now the issue combat mag of the USMC, aluminum mags being retained for practice. I don't know about the USA.

Forrest

fly2.0
December 04, 2017, 18:22
Thanx for the hook-up. Will be nice to test with 6.8 and 22 Nosler then since "optimized" for M855A1 will be simple to know which magazines are loaded with the new ammo as will dedicate them specifically to A1 fodder. The Files and it's members rock, Merry Christmas to all y'all and me too as first December firearms related purchase.

Now I have to buy a Tan rail system to go with my 2 . lol....

https://i.imgur.com/UstZW3Ol.jpg

lockjaw
December 04, 2017, 22:53
Blue followers are latest issue if it is milspec/USGI, bullet rides slightly higher in order to ensure the new M855A1 tip does not tear up feed ramps or nose dive into the aluminum receiver where the barrel extension meets the upper (or at least that is what I was told but I have never seen that happen). I have only run into a few of these as my unit still has the brown/tan follower mags. As far as I know, there should be no difference in function/use. They are hard to come by right now on the civilian side.

Yep, they have been trickling down the pipe for the Army. We are supposed to start receiving these (to go along with our recently converted M4A1 rifles) but the supply cannot keep up with demand... of course those in combat zones get first priority.

It is easy to understand why they are hard come by on the civilian side. If it wasn't for supply NCOs looking for a quick buck and/or a Joe with sticky fingers, civilians would have an even harder time getting their hands on these goodies!

lol....

TenTea
December 05, 2017, 07:12
As a self-confessed mag whore, I fail to understand all the hoopla over AR mags in the dot mil. I thought we had the issue pretty well sorted many moons ago.

https://gun.deals/sites/default/files/15289-DEFAULT-l.jpg

lockjaw
December 05, 2017, 08:26
Never had issues with green follower mags either.

My civilian mags are USGI mags with a mix with green followers and older mags where I swapped out the black followers with Magpul followers and springs (picked up at gun shows, horse trading, thrown out....). My favorites are the old mags with heavy exterior wear and new Magpul guts.

I used to have assorted Magpul generation mags, and tried the latest fanboy favorites, but eventually dumped them all.

I don't have any tan follower mags yet, I have enough of the green and retro-fitted mags to keep me content, and they have all been boringly reliable.

I handle the tan follower mags on a regular basis, but they stay at the unit where they belong. It will be interesting to compare the new blue follower mags when they come down the pipeline.

hueyville
December 05, 2017, 09:09
Now I have to buy a Tan rail system to go with my 2 . lol....

You can always put a Gunskins wrap kit on them and make any color or pattern you want. Another cheaper option is try a sign supply or local sign shop for some flat black wrap material. I have several standard patterns of magazine wraps that I use to know 100% what cartridge and what bullet selection is loaded in a magazine at a glace. Having been one of the first local companies in the vehicle wrap business along with being a Gunskins dealer/installer wrap guns and magazines quite often.

Cool thing is can wrap a gun or magazine which protects it's original finish, the wrap is generally tougher than a standard finish and years later can be removed to find factory finish of gun or accessory in perfect condition. I generally wrap the gun, scope, mounts and magazines then dedicate a rifle to a particular load. If pick up the Tiger Stripe AR or Tiger Stripe magazines am 100% have a 6.8 spc II loaded with Speer 90 grain Gold Dots. If pick up the AR which is same basic build as the Tiger Stripe that has the Reaper Buck pattern with Reaper Buck am spitting out Barnes TTSX copper solids and if grab the Chikenflauge AR with Chikenflauge magazines then 120 grain Hornady tipped bullets in 6.8 are matched to rifle and will hit where optic centered. A great way to keep rifles that use a specialized load protected and magazines sorted. Pattern on both either match or they are wrong.

All my 22 Noslers to date are FDE but building a pair of black and will choose a wrap pattern as will be dedicated to a single loading only. Like my green FAL has a dozen green magazines that know are carrying ammo set to scopes dead center but also have another load that magazines have a green and black pattern that are sighted in to the red dot that rides over scope. The black and green magazines are loaded with LeHigh 79 grain Close Quarters High Velocity ammo and the green are a mix of LeHigh 148 grain Controlled Chaos and U.S. M80A1 that out to 125 yards hit close enough to each other that a watermelon dies if dead center it in cross hairs and let either round loose.

Then on my 5.56 rifles know that magazines with Magpul "Ranger Plates" have M855, Magpul L-Plates M855A1, standard floor plates have 55 grain milspec and so on. Have wraps to identify 69 grain SMK's, 77 grain SMK's and they purposely match finish or other distinct feature of rifle they go with so can just grab mags that match rifle or rifle that matches magazines and go. Having multiple M1a's, metric FAL's, L1a1's, tons of AR 15's in pile of cartidges and loadings as well as AR10's in three cartridge combinations and about to add fourth being able to easily identify magazines that have ammo that is sighted for rifle is very important.

Also why keep Cerakote in black, FDE, O.D. Green and more so when need can finish a rifle and a dozen or so magazines to match so all coordinate throughout the life of both. So my advice is build a rifle in FDE to match your new FDE magazines and dedicate a specialty load to them and then let me know when your ready for some green magazines for next specialty build. Has made entire oddness of having 5.56, 6.8 spc II's and 22 Nosler AR's out of vault and around the house easy for even wife to understand. Do not have to worry about her tying to shove a 6.8 magazine into a 22 Nosler rifle or 69 grain match quality 5.56 into a 5.56 sighted in for 55 grain milsurp. It's become a simple system to keep my eclectic mix of rifles, cartridges and loadings all properly segregated.

fly2.0
December 05, 2017, 10:58
Yep, they have been trickling down the pipe for the Army. We are supposed to start receiving these (to go along with our recently converted M4A1 rifles) but the supply cannot keep up with demand... of course those in combat zones get first priority.

It is easy to understand why they are hard come by on the civilian side. If it wasn't for supply NCOs looking for a quick buck and/or a Joe with sticky fingers, civilians would have an even harder time getting their hands on these goodies!

lol....

That strange .^^^^^^ At The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot & Show last Oct. There was 4-6 different tables selling these Tan magazine's , single or by the case . I didn't get any . But they sold out fast for $15 each .
In a few years they will be $10 each or less .

ftierson
December 05, 2017, 12:12
That strange .^^^^^^ At The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot & Show last Oct. There was 4-6 different tables selling these Tan magazine's , single or by the case . I didn't get any . But they sold out fast for $15 each .
In a few years they will be $10 each or less .

Or you won't be able to own them and they'll be a lot more in price...

Forrest

hueyville
December 05, 2017, 13:01
I will go with either or on last two posts. A decade from now will be $100 each or lucky to ger $10 each for them based on surplus dot gov equipment laws and high capacity magazine laws. At $15 each for now will take a chance as want to test. Luckily have already done a little better than that. Soon as test in 6.8 and 22 Nosler will let everyone know how they work or if they work.

If are as much better as dot mil claims will be worth $10 to $15 each if run 300% longer between stoppages and last twice as long they are a bargain. If reduce issues with bolt missing top round of overgassed gun due to rounds bouncing during recoil impulse will solve a lot of crap build issues. Since like collecting metal magazines and are the new kids on the block will be chasing them till have enough to suit me. Anyone have a gross?

Mebsuta
December 05, 2017, 14:23
Somebody will copy the dimensions and start knocking them out sooner or later.

fly2.0
December 06, 2017, 09:40
Or you won't be able to own them and they'll be a lot more in price...

Forrest

Or when the next liberal (Devilcat) get's in office . Then they will be worth hundreds . :beer:

MistWolf
December 06, 2017, 11:01
The new GI mags were designed by/at the request of the Army. It changes the angle of the top round to reduce wear & tear of the feed ramps.

The new MagPul mags also change feed angle. The USMC and recently the USAF have adopted the new PMag as their official magazine.

The general consensus in discussion among those who carry ARs into harms way is that the new GI mag isn't as reliable as the PMag.

HibikiR
December 10, 2017, 11:15
Does anyone know if the USMC test results still stand on the EPM?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/07/21/us-armys-new-magazine-failure-usmc-test-enhanced-performance-magazine-shows-performed-worse-predecessor-pmag/

hueyville
December 11, 2017, 11:06
My first sample shipment of new tan mags. Have more inbound and will take better pictures soon. Finish kind of poorly done but very thick. Will have to see how finish is on future units and once they start shipping black or other colors.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q3b1oh.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/dqn4u9.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/9bhc8x.jpg

Will try and get fresh batteries in flash of a real camera and macro lens mounted for some detailed pics, ran 20 rounds of green tip in binary and functioned flawlessly.

Mebsuta
December 12, 2017, 01:07
The new GI mags were designed by/at the request of the Army. It changes the angle of the top round to reduce wear & tear of the feed ramps.

The new MagPul mags also change feed angle. The USMC and recently the USAF have adopted the new PMag as their official magazine.

The general consensus in discussion among those who carry ARs into harms way is that the new GI mag isn't as reliable as the PMag.

I might become a P-Mag fanboi.

I bought some 3rd generation 10s for research and reloading, and they were flawless, so I bought some 30s to try out. If the 30s work as good as the 10s, I might switch to plastic, or at least use more. I like there are no sharp edges on the P-Mag.

I just cobbled together my first flat-top, so I'm trying to be more modern. It has a GI carry handle on it, but still.

MistWolf
December 12, 2017, 01:40
The 30 round and 40 round Magpul mags work better than their 10 or 20 round mags. My ARs don't always lock back when using the Magpul 20 rounders.

I prefer the Colt aluminum mags when using 20 rounders because my rifles don't always lock back when using the 20 round MagPuls. For 30 and 40 round magazines, I like MagPul. As you point out, no sharp edges. They are easier to load and as you point out, no sharp edges. MagPuls are also easier to disassemble for cleaning. I noticed that although I have aluminum GI and MagPul mags, I would take only the MagPul mags on my shooting trips.

W.E.G.
December 12, 2017, 08:26
Early 20-round Magpul mags were NOTORIOUS for first-round bolt overrides when inserted on a closed bolt, and then charging was (attempted) by the "slingshot" method.

Supposedly, Magpul made some changes in the 20-rounders, and some improvement on this undesirable behavior was achieved.

I got rid of the four Magpul 20-rounders I had for just that reason. They didn't work worth shit for use in National Match format of competition.

Those same 20-round mags seemed to work fine if loaded on an OPEN bolt. But ONLY if loaded on an open bolt.

I never had any problems with any of the 30-round Magpul mags. All of mine are early versions. For whatever reason, there seem to be numerous revisions of the PMAG.

All these different versions of mags give me headaches. I'm old. I've sifted through my magazine stash, and I have determined that the mags I own now work well in the rifles I own now. If I need one of them to be brown-colored, they sell paint at the store. If the color-of-the-day becomes unpopular, they also sell paint-remover at the store.

It is simultaneously liberating, and saddening, as I realize I'm at the point where I don't need to acquire one more rifle or one more magazine unless they ("they" being the cocksuckermotherfuckers in Washington and Richmond) declare it illegal for me to possess box-fed, semiauto rifles. If it comes to that, I've got an 870, and a 336, and a 686 to see me through I guess.

hueyville
December 12, 2017, 09:30
Have never owned a military metal magazine that didn't work or if had issue could not be repaired to 100% function. Still have Vietnam era 20 round magazines that run 100% and got a 55 gallon drum of "malfunctioning" 30 round metal magazines that local base took to scrap yard over 20 years ago. Every single magazine was 100% reliable after a good cleaning and sometimes some repair with feed lip tool. Worst case had to replace springs and followers in some of the heavier used that had seen so much use were shiny aluminum and required a squirt from rattle can to calm down the shine.

On the polymer side pre Magpul was horrific. With pmags have thrown away more than I can count. Have loaded them up, put in rifle and left a month or so to have swell up so bad had to beat out with hammer. Have loaded, put in magazine pouch and by time went to load would not fit in magazine well. Have had two come to pieces on me while in use. Never broken a metal magazine. All y'all Pmag fan boys can have my share. Have about 100 still in wrapper to sell when next panic happens but not taking out of wrapper.

Almost every magazine in a rifle, mag pouch, truck, range kit, overt vest or house loaded for use is metal and always will be. Have a pile of Lancer polymers that use due to color choices to identify specialty ammo. Have three MTM magazine boxes with 18 mags each of 5.56, two with 18 mags of 6.8 and one with 18 mags of 22 Nosler and everyone metal. All my truck mags are metal and the Lancer are all stored in house as don't trust any polymer magazine left in a vehicle in a Georgia summer. Promise they will swell up or something.

Have a huge pile of polymer M10 magazines that piss me off bad. Shockwave is finally making M11/9 metal mags again for $37 each and rather pay $37 each for them than $35 for three polymer magazines that suck. Have at least 20 M11 and double that in polymer M10 magazines that if load more than half full won't fit in gun. Have dozens of polymer Mini 14 magazines that all suck. Bottom line is over past 25 years most polymer magazines purchased have sucked. Over past decade most non-Lancer polymer magazines have sucked. Gen 2 Pmags have given me a lot of trouble when tried and not going to waste money in Gen 3 when I can buy metal for same price that I know work.

I do like using Magpul anti-tilt followers and rubber baseplate when rebuild older metal magazines when they are due for service. Most of my life or death magazines have Tubb Precision AR-15 17-7 SS magazine springs in them as know the flatwire chrome silicon springs Tubb sales are the best made. Use his AR 10 magazine springs and his buffer springs. If a magazine is going in my kit for life or death situations, even if brand new, put a Tubbs spring in it out of the package but I don't take chances with being cheap. Put the OEM springs back for spares if need after world goes sideways.

W.E.G.
December 12, 2017, 10:10
Ive got a box of PMAGs in the wrap.

Im with ya Huey.

They can stay in them bags until I can sell them for enough margin to make the effort worth my time. Should have got rid of them when I was selling-off the $3 AK mags at 600% markup.

Still have a few PMAGs that have been used. People probably pay stupid money for those when the tide turns again.

lew
December 12, 2017, 12:05
You guys are hilarious: I've had 30 and 40 round PMags- all generations- left loaded for years without the covers and they work on any rifle myself, my brother, and my buddies own. Their PMags work fine, too. I've had a few aluminum mags that had the feed lip spread. **** that noise.

Huey: I'll pm ya my address for PMag disposal.:biggrin:

lockjaw
December 12, 2017, 14:51
I typically don't see feed lip failures in USGI mags (resulting from direct blunt force, not wear).

The common feeds issues I observe stem from elongated mag release holes, which can offer with any magazine with hard/inappropriate repeated use (yanking mags out rather than just letting them fall free).

Mebsuta
December 12, 2017, 15:00
If anyone is going to get rich selling magazines, they would need about 20,000 of them when the time is right.

hagar
December 12, 2017, 16:54
As a self-confessed mag whore, I fail to understand all the hoopla over AR mags in the dot mil. I thought we had the issue pretty well sorted many moons ago.

I use more Vietnam era 20 round mags than anything else, and they never fail to work with rounds loaded to just under 2.26 oal. Some of these 20 round aluminum mags of mine probably have 20-30 thousand rounds loaded through them.

Some, actually most of the plastic fantastic mags bind up, or spit bullets out, or just jam. All types, all makes.

gew98
December 12, 2017, 18:45
I traded Pmags for the tan 30's. I don.t/won't trust any plastic magazines. I remember back in the 80's uncle sugar handed out those black plastic Canadian magazines. They were all the rage ..even after it became common knowledge they were junk. They got shifted to issue to national guard units real quick then. When I got out of RA and went directly to ARNG...there were those ugly black useless plastic back bacon magazines in droves. On a good note though there were gobs of 20 rd GI mags still in the ARNG system...they worked.

Mebsuta
December 13, 2017, 03:49
I unwrapped mine and threw away the wrapper, so I'm all in. :headbang:

ICOM7800
December 13, 2017, 17:53
Boy this ought to get people riled up, so here goes...magpul anything =SHIT.Been shooting and owning M-16s and Ars for almost 40 years still do.Screw the plastic shit.My GI mags with green,black,and whatever followers work and function 100%.Oh and don't use shit steel case either.

hueyville
December 14, 2017, 19:26
If anyone is going to get rich selling magazines, they would need about 20,000 of them when the time is right.

Hogwash!!!
If buy at $7 and sell at $30 when opportunity arises thats nice pocket money for more toys. Just have to remember after each panic to restock. Have high capacity magazines piled up well in excess of 1,000 units for AR's just to sell next panic. 100 new in package 30 round AR mags sold during a ban or panic is $2,300 profit and if sell 1,000 it's five figures profit. That's real folding money and now totally restocked plus some post Sandy Hook. When Bush Ban ended had a major restocking period.

Less than two years ago was buying nice milspec surplus metric FAL magazines for $7 each, many as wanted. Bought 200 inch tabs and metric magazines with plan to set up jig for mill to notch mags then use spot welder to attach inch tabs to metric mags. Plan was sell half so the 100 kept and converted would be free as have more inch FAL pattern rifles than metric. That does not count units bought to keep as metrics over a long period. The prices of metric have jumped so fast plans may have changed.

Buy milsurp.com is sold out of metric mags at $20 each for FAL's now. Apex is $25 each for milsurp metric FAL mags rated "fair condition". Sarco only has new repop metric mags (Korean), Gunthings has eight milsurp left in stock at $24 each, Ernst claims plenty of used metric at $25 each now but considering were $7 each two years ago and $25 everywhere I look now don't think am going to effort converting 200 metrics to inch as have source overseas where able to buy new in cosmoline old stock milsurp inch mags for $25 shipped if order 50 at a time. Bought some "poor as is" inch mags recently but would rather pay $25 than mix and match parts, repair feed lips and pitch 2 of ten in junk box.

Of course we have option of L4 30 round mags at $45 in average condition and $55 in good to excellent condition. Have been stockpiling these as find deals but don't pay over $35 in good condition. My biggest issue with them is have to bring a big dog or pack mule to help carry them once loaded. My Brit "multicam" rifle rated armor mag pouches hold the 30 round mags and have six loaded 25 rounds each and double the weight of the kit. My bedside FAL is short barrel/short gas and has suppressor with 30 round mag and it's a hag to hump and not even full size. But watching vendors starting to go "out of stock" on the L4's lately and price hop $10 for nice units. We are in a market where any rifle if get a chance to buy inexpensive high capacity magazines I jump. Right now aluminum H&K/CETME mags are cheap and add a dozen to every order from CDNN and others that sell them. Usually throw half dozen steel on order as well.

I may not get rich but the 200 good metric mags purchased two years ago to modify are now worth almost $20 more than paid based on online vendor pricing. Wait another year or so and unless someone finds a warehouse full of nice milsurp metrics will be able to flip mags purchased two years ago and pocket $4,000 but will likely hold longer. If that's not real money to you then do you have a job opening? Will work for magazines. If price were to drop go back to original plan and convert to inch. All total have enough FAL mags to sell 300 and still have more than can ever use. All at market price are in profit margin already.

Have a big box of OEM steel MAC 10 45 and M11 steel mags have been sitting on could make $100 to $200 each easily if sold. Bought in the 1980's when bought my first MAC 10 then traded off for a 9mm version after realizing it was a monster to control then added a pair of M11's in 380. Smyrna/Marietta/Powder Springs was no big deal to hunt magazines as company changed names and owners through Lienad, SWD and Cobray as had one of our locations in Marietta and 500 rental billboards in Cobb/Paulding. Was in on all three versions in steel before the big Zytel fiasco due to pain in @$$ to reload at range, was easier to have big box of mags. Each time company sold seemed like certain gun shops and pawn shops would have piles of magazines that don't know if we're smuggled out by disgruntled employees or sold toward end of each incarnation to try and raise quick cash. Who knew $25 mags would be $150 to $250 based on markings and condition.

Following Bush Ban and ensuing freak out had huge number of milsurp M14 magazines and lots of Springfield mags for my M1a's. Also had a fair sampling from every company up to that point that tried to repop the originals with mixed results. When 20 and 30 round M1a/M14 mags prices started to peak around 1997 as the huge amount made last month's companies were able to get them out three shifts per day all of the off brand units went for big bucks. Mix in all the AR mags had back then and Bush One made me lot of money. Trick is to always have enough of whatever magazine that you can sell a quantity without hurting personal inventory.

Next Sandy Hook/Democrat President election win panic and I will sell all the still sealed in plastic Pmags first. Won't even hesitate minute they go over $20 each. I was getting $25 for decent used and plastic mags during Sandy Hook and $30 for new aluminum AR magazines. Sold all I was willing to then used profit to restock and double down when market bottomed out. Bet starting from Bush Ban and through Sandy Hook with a couple other bumps along the way sure I have put five figures profit in my gun hobby savings just on magazines. No telling how much made on Chinese rifles and AR's during Sandy Hook. Still trying to spend all of it though with last box of Noveske barrels being shipped and having to order four Switchblock gas blocks at internet pricing for them its almost gone plus paid a lot of medical bills with the panic cash. Doubt enough left in that old wool sock to buy a decent scope.

Find it absolutely odd that just two years ago milsurp metric FAL mags were only $7 and now $25 when able to find as many regular vendors list out of stock. Glad I had the idea to convert to inch and double my investment but they tripled before put any labor into them. Say what you want but my my experience is a guy can make good money on magazines if he plays the game right. Sold a whole bunch of AR mags paid less than $1 each for during last panic because were so ugly but got $20 each for them and had a 55 gallon drum full.

Five figures is not rich but its a hobby not a business otherwise would likely have flipped ten times or more total units. Do the math and if that is chump change for hoarding then selling as opportunity arises for few mags you are more than willing to donate to my paypal account since I am so poor don't know the difference between chump change and real folding money. No have not gotten rich but financed over two dozen AR builds, lots more mags and ammo just off Sandy Hook money with parts for another couple dozen builds AR's are cheap now but if live another 20 years bet I see a panic where am able to finance a nice retirement by time finish building rest of parts piled up and sell to people who didnt buy AR's when they were cheap. If see Pmags at $4.99 with free shipping would buy more even though would not ever use them. Still jumping on any good AR 15 mag deal I find with intent to have plenty to support every rifle in inventory and boxes of all types to flip when a national high cap ban is suggested seriously or passed for new units.

Boy this ought to get people riled up, so here goes...magpul anything =SHIT.Been shooting and owning M-16s and Ars for almost 40 years still do.Screw the plastic shit.My GI mags with green,black,and whatever followers work and function 100%.Oh and don't use shit steel case either.

Amen says the brothers in the congregation as the choir sings hymns of approval. While I buy lots of modern metal magazines will always have a few hundred military surplus 20's and 30's for life and death zombie outbreaks.

lockjaw
December 16, 2017, 08:38
There is nothing wrong with Magpul magazines. They are excellent mags, and wouldn't feel slighted if I was ordered to go into combat with them.

I prefer USGI aluminum mags. That is my preference.

I also feel that there are better investment opportunities than stashing away pallets of current production Magpul magazines. The market is HEAVILY saturated, and now they these mags are being contracted by Uncle Sugar, it will continue to do so.

hueyville
December 16, 2017, 11:12
Not pallets but enough. Always done well with them and if a ban is passed Uncle Sugar won't be surplus sing them on civilian market. An extra few hundred of various designs is a nice hedge. Watching metric mags pass price of inch in past year has suprised me. If this trend holds will have a couple hundred inch tabs to sell rather then modify metrics to inch. I just ordered a big pile of inch mags cheaper than can buy metrics for first time ever. Since metric is more popular and apparently supply is thinning the extra few hundred metrics bought when $7 will be good investment no matter if any legislation into duce or not.

I don't own a single Glock, never have and probably never will. But when get trade in at LGS I often buy a few from shop to put back. When ten round mags are the rule on vendors shelves the guy with a few dozen good used OEM high capacities will make a few bucks. Have a big box of preban AK47 drum magazines paid $25 each. That's better than investing in gold.

You may think there are plenty but let dot gov start talking ban and they will pop back up to $30 or more a piece just like $7.95 Walmart rimfire stayed at $100 so long. People like me with the boxes, crates and pallets will be setting the price, not the guys with a dozen. I go by history, not guessing and historically have made a lot of money on mags plus I doubt AR mags will ever be cheaper than are now so not like can lose money.

While Slidefire stocks are back to normal prices now, that week or two of total panic cleared over $500 each on a pair. Paid $99 each and the weekend they were $900 on Gunbroker and they suspended sales sold the two still had new in box for over $600 each. Just a week long panic and put a grand in my pocket on two cheap plastic items. Now all my Franklin binary triggers are selling for $150 more than paid for them if wanted to sell. Diversity of inventory means have what need when something is subject of a panic or price spike.

lockjaw
December 16, 2017, 11:57
Squirrel!

FALonious
December 16, 2017, 13:06
https://ssec.si.edu/sites/default/files/explore-smithsonian/squirrelShock_0.jpg

fly2.0
December 19, 2017, 10:04
My first sample shipment of new tan mags. Have more inbound and will take better pictures soon. Finish kind of poorly done but very thick. Will have to see how finish is on future units and once they start shipping black or other colors.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q3b1oh.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/dqn4u9.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/9bhc8x.jpg

Will try and get fresh batteries in flash of a real camera and macro lens mounted for some detailed pics, ran 20 rounds of green tip in binary and functioned flawlessly.

I'm glad i went back and got a couple more before you ....lol...:biggrin:

hueyville
December 19, 2017, 19:48
As an FYI, loaded 25 rounds of 6.8 and into one, acted hinky first few rounds but from, round twenty in chamber and 19 in magazine the one I tested ran the rest flawlessly. If others test same and are consistent being a 20 round 6.8 magazine in a pinch is convenient. Next need to test 22 Nosler and see how it acts. Like 6.8 a 30 round 5.56 AR body with correct floor plate holds 25 rounds of 6.8 and 22 Nosler. Since 22 Nosler uses 6.8 mags am reasonably confident will get similar results. Now that ground hogs are wintering and days short so not enough daylight for evening coyote sniping at local chicken farms not carrying Noslers much but will eventually get them tested.

Thus far in 5.56 have run 55 grain M193, 62 grain M855 and M855A1, 77 grain Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1 and the IMI Razor Core 77 grain fodder through them with no issues. Expect they will be happy with all 5.56 loaded with bullets that don't exceed SAAMI OAL. Have run with gas block turned off hand cycling each round, unsuppressed and suppressed in rifles of various build quality. They kept up fine in the magdump with M855A1 testing over last weekend just fine as did with the M193.

Going to stock up as opportunity arises to keep the pile going in positive direction. Figure get a few dozen new then won't be long before used start popping up cheap. Thus far no complaints except waiting for pile to get big big and no black units available yet. Not interested in painting as need FDE so to paint will be going backwards as assume black will be available soon enough. Thus far have passed all tests they should so need to add enough to at least fill one storage box.