PDA

View Full Version : Can Israeli or British FAL sights see over the Trilux Suit dust cover ?

DrDremel
June 21, 2002, 12:41
Can Israeli or British FAL sights see over the Trilux Suit dust cover when the scope is removed? I am thinking of building with an open eared Argentine Barrel and Isreali or Brit rear sight if they can see over the dust cover. That way both sights can be used. My G1 sights are blocked by the dust cover.

DriftPunch
June 21, 2002, 12:46
L1A1 sights are tall enough for you to see over the mount. This is not by accident.

Don't know about the Israeli issue, but I don't think that they ever used their SUITs on FALs. They were for M16s and Galils. This is why they are calibrated for .223. Because of this, if the sights are tall enough, it's an accident.

DrDremel
June 22, 2002, 11:25
Thanks, looks like I will have to order an open eared Argentine Barrel for my next Build, that and a Brit rear sight should do the trick. I want the one set up for the Suit to be able to use the irons as well.

Arby
June 22, 2002, 23:11
I'm not sure about the height of the Argie front sight, but if it is standard with all other 50.00 types, you may need an Israeli front sight post to match the height of an L1A1 rear sight.

For what it's worth, I have an Stg with L1A1 rear sight and an Israeli #4 front post. Works just fine with a SUIT mount. If you go with an Izzy front post, get the spring plate that fits under the sight post and keeps it from freely turning. The spring plate will need a minor modification to fit between the sight ears, but it is quick & easy. HTH.

kendwell
June 24, 2002, 11:09
Why not just replacing the top cover with original when not
using suit: I replaced the rear sight on R-1 with a G-1, which
is 3mm lower. This allowed the suit scope to clear the rear
sight.