PDA

View Full Version : Izzy HB Rcvr

Bones2586
December 01, 2017, 09:32
So...being new to the FAL addiction, have a question.

If one were to get the parts to build an Izzy HB Fal, am assuming a Metric receiver would be used vice an Inch variant. What's the difference between the Type I, II, and III that COONAN offers? They all seem to offer a cutout for a carry handle or not, and work with metric kits...

Thanks in advance, most appreciated! Cheers!

justashooter
December 01, 2017, 09:38
type 3 does not have lightening cuts toward rear tails of receiver. i would go with type 3 as generally correct for an HB izzy.

4markk
December 01, 2017, 10:20
Izzy HB lowers are cut for a Type 1 upper receiver. The main issue with the HB is the barrel thread pitch is different than the upper receiver. So you will have to either chase the barrel threads or the receiver threads.

The Pigpen
December 01, 2017, 11:24
Izzy HB lowers are cut for a Type 1 upper receiver. The main issue with the HB is the barrel thread pitch is different than the upper receiver. So you will have to either chase the barrel threads or the receiver threads.

I just removed an izzy HB from and imbel and reinstalled an imbel barrel.
Would that mean the threads on the HB barrel had already been chased?

Hvt98
December 01, 2017, 13:07
Same here. Have 2 Century build rifleon Imbels. Fits my Coonan type 3 receiver like it made for it...

Century already chased the threads?

I just removed an izzy HB from and imbel and reinstalled an imbel barrel.
Would that mean the threads on the HB barrel had already been chased?

4markk
December 01, 2017, 16:50
Ironically, both metric and inch receivers use inch measurements. The FAL & L1A1 barrel threads are 1" x 16tpi. The Izzy barrels are (were) metric thread M25x1.50.

Since they are very close, all you have to do is chase the barrel threads with a 1x16 die. If your Izzy barrel effortlessly goes onto a standard metric receiver, then someone chased the threads already.

embatp
December 01, 2017, 17:50

I heard or read that about the izzy falo only being on type one receivers but that doesnít seem to make any sense....what proof can you offer?

The Pigpen
December 01, 2017, 17:55
Ironically, both metric and inch receivers use inch measurements. The FAL & L1A1 barrel threads are 1" x 16tpi. The Izzy barrels are (were) metric thread M25x1.50.

Since they are very close, all you have to do is chase the barrel threads with a 1x16 die. If your Izzy barrel effortlessly goes onto a standard metric receiver, then someone chased the threads already.

I dont know about effortlessly since after I took the HB off I didnt have any reason to put it back on, but it came off as youd expect and was timed correctly prior to removal.

Thanks for the info.

4markk
December 01, 2017, 19:38
I heard or read that about the izzy falo only being on type one receivers but that doesnít seem to make any sense....what proof can you offer?

What proof can I offer about what?

J. Armstrong
December 01, 2017, 20:50
type 3 does not have lightening cuts toward rear tails of receiver. i would go with type 3 as generally correct for an HB izzy.

I would disagree. All the Israeli lowers I have ever seen were cut for type 1 receivers. I know the type 2 was developed to forestall cracking that was showing up on heavily used ( i.e. full auto ) FALOs. I would presume Israel adopted the type 2 for that reason, although since they didn't retain the FALO in service for very long, I'm not positive about that. 44Markk is probably correct. In any event, a type 1 receiver is most certainly more "correct" than a type 3.

embatp
December 01, 2017, 21:50
What proof can I offer about what?

That izzy falo rifles only had type one receivers

4markk
December 01, 2017, 22:09
That izzy falo rifles only had type one receivers

Please show me where I said that. That is YOUR statement, not mine. Why would I have to prove YOUR statement?

embatp
December 01, 2017, 22:45
In post 3 you said izzy hb lowers are cut for the type one receiver.....

garandguy10
December 01, 2017, 22:59
If you can find one, the old Entreprise Arms "Israeli" receivers have the proper Israeli Barrel thread pitch.

J. Armstrong
December 02, 2017, 08:15

Which is true. That does not preclude them from putting type 2 uppers on them, though.

Now I would guess that some type 2 cut Izzy lowers were made, but never having seen one, that is admittedly only conjecture on my part.

4markk
December 02, 2017, 08:20

Exactly, the LOWERS are Type 1. That is a far cry from they ONLY had Type 1 UPPER receivers, which YOU stated.

Before we lost most of the pictures, there were some that showed Type 2 receivers on the Makleon. I personally never saw a pic of a Type 3. Seeing how it was adopted in 1955 and started to fall out of favor by the mid-60's, definitely supports that most had Type 1's and some may have had Type 2's, but probably not any Type 3's in any large numbers.

VALMET
December 02, 2017, 08:41
Iíve never seen a Type 3 rec Izzy HB outside of an SAR-48 or a US build.

embatp
December 02, 2017, 10:42
Which is true. That does not preclude them from putting type 2 uppers on them, though.

Now I would guess that some type 2 cut Izzy lowers were made, but never having seen one, that is admittedly only conjecture on my part.

I have at least 3 izzy type 2 lowers....

J. Armstrong
December 02, 2017, 12:56
I have at least 3 izzy type 2 lowers....

Good info :beer:

randy762ak
December 02, 2017, 13:07
I Built an IZZY HB on an DSA Receiver and had to rethread the barrel internal in the frame -No big deal at all !

G3isMe
December 03, 2017, 02:56
:worthless:

Capt D
December 03, 2017, 03:23
:worthless:

Food for thought...unserialized, repainted NOS Izzy T-2 lower (compared to an original finish 114xxx s/n# StG lower):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wAdJ5l8jhlqxjmh13