View Full Version : G1 10rd border guard mag ?

November 30, 2017, 08:33
Almost nos, excellent at least.
Tried a mp search but didnt find anything,,, so whats one worth today ?
Cheers, yv

November 30, 2017, 09:58
i'll give ya ten bux for it. a buck a round, seems resaonable.

truth is, it's an oddity, maybe valuable to a collector or someone in a ban state. kinda like a dog with three legs.

Douglas Wozny
November 30, 2017, 11:02
What is the provenance that says it is a G1 border guard magazine? Could it be just a cut down standard 20 round magazine?

November 30, 2017, 11:10
I have maybe half a dozen 10 rd FAL magazines.

Pretty sure at least three of them are originals, the others are likely DSA production, but they all work well.
After the AWB sunset, I was finding these singularly on the tables at gunshows and picked them up for 5-7 bucks each.
I have no other information than that and cannot speak to the provenance of your 'Border Guard' magazines.

November 30, 2017, 14:12

November 30, 2017, 15:34
Please post a pic.

Bottom view would be most helpful.

December 01, 2017, 10:21
WOW,,,you guys arent familiar with what I speak of ?

Im just going by what the resident experts here told me a decade or so ago,,,
When I marked the bag it's in and they were bringing $75..

Where is Lee C. when ya need him....:sad:

December 01, 2017, 10:41
I'm very familiar with what you speak of but pictures speak better than words.

You could email a few pictures to me via my profile and I will host them easily.

WOW,,,you guys arent familiar with what I speak of ?

Im just going by what the resident experts here told me a decade or so ago,,,
When I marked the bag it's in and they were bringing $75..

Where is Lee C. when ya need him....:sad:

Douglas Wozny
December 01, 2017, 10:47
I question them being "real" G1 10 round border guard magazines for two reasons. First, what would be the reason to degrade the magazine capacity of the FAL (20 rounds down to 10 rounds) for border guards? Second, every picture and video I have seen of the Bundesgrenzschutz (and I will admit I have not seen all the pictures and video out there but I have seen quite few) armed with G1's all have 20 round magazines in them.

Lee Carpentieri
December 01, 2017, 11:17
As long as theirs no witness holes on the back of the Magazine, They Could be Belgium, BUT the sure way to tell IF their Belgium 10 round mags is, The Original Belgium 10 round mag has TWO separate fold points on each side of the bottom of the magazine that hold the floor plate in place,NOT one solid fold. At one time I had 50 of these magazines all were NOS. Now I have one left for the collection.

I was selling mine for 45.00 each plus shipping up till I ran out last year.

December 02, 2017, 10:27
Ok,,many thanks and sorry for the confusion...

It might have said belgium, it is kind of dark in my storage area and my eyes sure arent what they once were...But I would have sworn it said '10rd FAL BGS'...which i assumed was for G1 and german border guard...
I'll bring it home and get some pics next time I fetch stuff from storage...

Cheers, vy

D. Lehrman
December 03, 2017, 23:10
The times were different and the West German borderguards were only allowed the 10 rd mags in the towers. Allies had just approved a "re-armed" Germany and gone through the building of the wall and finally got to use something other than surplus U.S. small arms. We didn't just treat the Germans as invaluable allies right away, and the 50s through the 60s were very different time in the country. I spent some time there myself. Took the Germans a long time to transition things that appear now to have happened much more rapidly than the gradual creep it was.

The answer, is, yes....they exist and really would need good photos to I.D.; but last of them were selling freely and $45 - $50 until Lee and the Northridge guiys sold last of them. New, I'd expect them to get snapped up easily at that price by the folks with proper G guns, etc. to finish out accessories. These mags were never in deep supply and in the past I've seen them change hands at up to $75 each new.

They are also almost perfect as bench mags at the range if you really want to "get down".

December 03, 2017, 23:32
Anyone have pics of them in use? All the BGS pics Iíve seen show 20 rounders..

D. Lehrman
December 03, 2017, 23:48
....and largely from training pics. I'm sure they had 20s too, knowing the German way...but I only saw 10rd issued. Something to do with district regulations post war perhaps (there were quite a few of those), like the need to issue only maximum 7 rds to Police...but give them an M3 greasegun "just in case" in the rack on the dash.

I only know what was going on among the Germans at the end of the sixties/early 70's. Used to sit (on occasion) in a bunker, and watch the East Germans replant the border mine field right in front (and across the wire) from a West German border guard tower.

December 04, 2017, 03:27
Hmm, wonder how much they differ from the blued Belgian 10rd parade mags (at least that is how they were sold to me) . . . ?

December 04, 2017, 08:07

FWIW,,as for pics, im pretty sure ive seen pics of German troops using 10rd mags for both guard duty and in grenade launching roles...But alas, I dont have or remember exactly where Ive seen those...:(