PDA

View Full Version : Opinions or info on Ithica/Tikka LSA-55

M829A3
November 29, 2017, 02:20
I picked up what looks to be a fairly nice one in .308 for $300. I was looking into getting something for longer range shooting. Was looking at a 7 mag, but it was gone when I decided to pick it up. The Ithaca was on the rack next to the hole were the 7 was. I wasn't going to invest a metric shit ton o' money, before I decide whether I actually like "precision" shooting. So it seemed like a good, cheap place to start.

gunplumber
November 29, 2017, 08:32
I actually like "precision" shooting. So it seemed like a good, cheap place to start.

Not really. Excellent rifle. Not a good base for building a long range rifle. Leave it alone, as a good hunting rifle. You want a long range project, start with a Remington 700 or Savage 110, or today I'd even consider the Ruger RPR.

Blackmore
November 29, 2017, 11:59
I'd have snapped that up in a minute - as a hunting rifle - at that price. Pre M595, IIRC. Finnish quality.

M829A3
November 29, 2017, 13:40
Not really. Excellent rifle. Not a good base for building a long range rifle. Leave it alone, as a good hunting rifle. You want a long range project, start with a Remington 700 or Savage 110, or today I'd even consider the Ruger RPR.

Just looking to see if I like sitting for hours shooting a bullet every minute or so. Don't know if it's for me, so $300 either way was a good investment.

M829A3
November 29, 2017, 13:49
I do have a question. In reading what info there is online, it was indicated that it was a free float barrel. But mine clearly has a factory nub at the very end of the fore grip that presses on the barrel when assembled and tightened up. Is this desirable ? or should it float fully from the receiver forward?

gunplumber
November 29, 2017, 14:21
I do have a question. In reading what info there is online, it was indicated that it was a free float barrel. But mine clearly has a factory nub at the very end of the fore grip that presses on the barrel when assembled and tightened up. Is this desirable ? or should it float fully from the receiver forward?

Generally, on light weight barrels, better accuracy is obtained through pressure bedding. That is, the barrel is floated except for a small pad at the end of the forearm that puts slight upward pressure. This changes the harmonics to a faster vibration over a shorter sine wave.

On heavier, stiffer barrels, a full float is more typical.

M829A3
November 29, 2017, 16:46
Thank you for the explanation.