PDA

View Full Version : what to make spacer out of?

fnogger
November 24, 2017, 10:34
So I'm putting an A2 fixed stock on my AR9. I want to keep using the carbine spring and 9mm heavy buffer it functions fine with now (in the 6 pos stock).

So, I need to account for the extra internal length of the rifle vs. carbine tube, and that way the spring and buffer should never even "know" they've moved to a new house. Which means I need to build a spacer about 3" long, figure it has to be cheaper than $15 in quarters. Lighter too.

What material? A quarter is .94 inches in diameter, and fits perfect, don't think a 1" oak dowel will fit. Thinking 7/8" dowel and a rubber band wrapped around it? Maybe screw a little rubber foot onto the end to make it act kinda like a extra buffer... Perhaps some sort of heavy duty PVC pipe with a cap on it?

Suggestions from the WECSOG graduates are appreciated.

OMR_RDTandE
November 24, 2017, 10:45
So I'm putting an A2 fixed stock on my AR9. I want to keep using the carbine spring and 9mm heavy buffer it functions fine with now (in the 6 pos stock).

So, I need to account for the extra internal length of the rifle vs. carbine tube, and that way the spring and buffer should never even "know" they've moved to a new house. Which means I need to build a spacer about 3" long, figure it has to be cheaper than $15 in quarters. Lighter too.

What material? A quarter is .94 inches in diameter, and fits perfect, don't think a 1" oak dowel will fit. Thinking 7/8" dowel and a rubber band wrapped around it? Maybe screw a little rubber foot onto the end to make it act kinda like a extra buffer... Perhaps some sort of heavy duty PVC pipe with a cap on it?

Suggestions from the WECSOG graduates are appreciated.

Well, I usually hand turn a piece of UHMW plastic, but any dense, oil resistant material should work. This does assume you have access to some sort of either wood or metal lathe. A drill press may substitute for a lathe, in a pinch.

You're just trying to space the spring from the end of the buffer tube, so anything that won't collapse under recoil, should work.

MistWolf
November 24, 2017, 13:13
Do you already have a stock in hand? If not, take a look at the Magpul fixed length carbine stock. It fits on a carbine RE and LOP can lengthened with the thicker butt pad and a WECSOG PVC spacer between the stock and end plate

CG&L
November 24, 2017, 13:55
I always use a copolymer acetal or homopolymer(also known as Delrin) for these applications.
Tough and oil resistant.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1510&step=2&top_cat=181

yovinny
November 24, 2017, 16:22
Let me look, I've a bunch of delrin rods in the shop.
If all you need is like 3", I'll mail it to ya.
I know I've got 1", not sure about 7/8",,, and my lathe isent set back up yet since it's last move...

fnogger
November 24, 2017, 16:48
Went trolling through Lowes, ended up with the oak dowel. Put a quarter on top just to give the spring a nice flat metal surface to rest on

May consider slightly longer maybe via a rubber bumper to restrict overall travel of teh bolt. test fire tomorrow :)

yovinny
November 24, 2017, 21:17
I found 4-5" long drops of both 7/8 & 1" delrin rod.
Just call me a pack rat,,lol..:)
If ya need them, pm me your address.
Cheers, yv