PDA

View Full Version : any instances of ...

fnogger
November 19, 2017, 22:57
A post on FB about gas setting got me to wondering...

I've always set my gas to where it would function properly, and then ignored it. I've also never served, participated in 2 way range exercises, or even put more than 100 rounds or so in one sitting through any of the FALs I've owned over the years.

So... any documented or even anecdotal evidence of someone *needing* to adjust gas in the field?

308/223shooter
November 19, 2017, 23:40
I fielded a M-16A1, so didn't have any adjustment available. That said, the troopies using FNs, I never never thought to ask about it. I do remember the only cleaning I ever saw them do, was to pull a patch through the bore. Bloody FNs were more reliable than getting the shits from the local water.

Douglas Wozny
November 20, 2017, 12:16
When adjusting the gas regulator the manual states that after determining the setting that locks the bolt back every time the gas regulator should be closed an additional two (2) "clicks". This setting should take care of everything with the exception of VERY EXTREME situations (bad ammunition, extreme environment, poorly maintained weapon). In general there is not need the soldier to "play" with the gas adjustment under normal conditions.

1911Ron
November 20, 2017, 15:27
When adjusting the gas regulator the manual states that after determining the setting that locks the bolt back every time the gas regulator should be closed an additional two (2) "clicks". This setting should take care of everything with the exception of VERY EXTREME situations (bad ammunition, extreme environment, poorly maintained weapon). In general there is not need the soldier to "play" with the gas adjustment under normal conditions.

I agree, no real need to "adjust" the gas once set unless an extreme situation arose.

tdb59
November 20, 2017, 15:44
Adjusting the regulator can be required for proper function at certain FAL matches in the S.E. United States, or so I have heard.

:angel:

C2A1
November 20, 2017, 18:46
Guys in Syria had problems. They had who knows what ammo and the FAL was passed over for AKs and G3s. It is that article about FAL trafficking that shows the FAL was up in value among the rebels and then tanked. Lybia they had govt, stores they used so they had batches of good dtuff.

klaus486
November 20, 2017, 20:39
So far in the many books I've read about conflicts Rhodesia, Southern Africa, and the British in various places no one has mentioned it. Not once.

I seem to recall someone stating that they always just closed the regulator so they had full gas and never worried about it...but I can't remember where I saw that.

fnogger
November 20, 2017, 21:43
So far in the many books I've read about conflicts Rhodesia, Southern Africa, and the British in various places no one has mentioned it. Not once.

I seem to recall someone stating that they always just closed the regulator so they had full gas and never worried about it...but I can't remember where I saw that.

That's what I'm wondering about - surely there must be a guy somewhere sitting on a bar stool "yeah they were coming and we'd been shooting sooo much my gun was dirty, well, I just cranked that gas valve all the way open and kept going until the muzzle break melted off!" or some BS....

Douglas Wozny
November 21, 2017, 08:24
That's what I'm wondering about - surely there must be a guy somewhere sitting on a bar stool "yeah they were coming and we'd been shooting sooo much my gun was dirty, well, I just cranked that gas valve all the way open and kept going until the muzzle break melted off!" or some BS....

At which point you throw the BS flag and say if it was "all the way open" you just turned your select fire automatic rifle into a manual operated straight pull rifle and it would be really hard to melted the muzzle break off in that mode. Then you walk away. Back in the day we called those gut REMF's or PX Commandos.

meltblown
November 21, 2017, 08:38
Most demill kits I got, the regulator was closed off.

Clonehead
November 21, 2017, 12:24
I just had to adjust the gas on my STG58 a couple of days ago. Normally runs fine on 4 but there was a big drop in temperature (50 degrees to about 30) from my last trip to the range and I needed to close the gas by two clicks to run reliably.

Douglas Wozny
November 21, 2017, 13:23
I just had to adjust the gas on my STG58 a couple of days ago. Normally runs fine on 4 but there was a big drop in temperature (50 degrees to about 30) from my last trip to the range and I needed to close the gas by two clicks to run reliably.

Temperature has a big effect on the performance of propellants. In the field artillery the temperature of the propellant was a factor when we registered. So a drop of 20 degrees F would most likely necessitate an adjustment.