PDA

View Full Version : Who's the go to gunsmith for FN49

Sheppsan
November 14, 2017, 20:07
Possibly going to acquire an Egyptian FN49 in the near future. May need a new barrel and a good going over as it has certainly been used well. Just wondering who the go to smith might be. New to the site and the gun so looking forward to participating.

Cheers, Sheppsan

easttex
November 14, 2017, 20:30
Just off the top of my head, I'd say Gunplumber might be able to fix you up.

Riversidesports
November 14, 2017, 23:58
Pretty sure Mark/GunPlumber has done a few 49's. Not used him but he's 110% on his work as far as I am concerned even if he is a bit of a dick :)

Another we have used in the past was Guy Snelen. We had him do a full rebuild on a rather tired, rusty & worn SAFN maybe 6 years back, new barrel, action build, enamel refinish. Came back extremely nice, impressive even.

No clue if he is still wrenching though, can likely dig up his old email

Do you have a barrel assm ?
We have a couple new old stock 8mm ones on the shelf along with a handful of other 49' bits.

Is your stock original ?
Century fagged up a mess of rather poorly done repro stocks. Don't know if I'd sink any money into one of those thus fitted up.

Sheppsan
November 15, 2017, 06:58
Gun fought my eye when I was looking at a K31, so just took a cursory look. Know it is Egyptian and des not looked rebuilt. Now Iíve done some reading, Iím going to go back for a second look, but am assuming it will be in need of some care. Asking price is $600.

easttex
November 15, 2017, 08:16
Gun fought my eye when I was looking at a K31, so just took a cursory look. Know it is Egyptian and des not looked rebuilt. Now Iíve done some reading, Iím going to go back for a second look, but am assuming it will be in need of some care. Asking price is $600.

$600 probably isn't a bad price.

gunplumber
November 15, 2017, 09:00
If you've got the barrel, it's $150 labor, $40 return ship. Locking shoulders are $45 if I can't use your old one. I really should have taken advantage of Sarco's 10 for $200 NIW 8mm barrels, back in the day . .

lockjaw
November 15, 2017, 09:45
If you pick it up, and assuming headspace pans out, clean it, shoot it, clean again, and then shoot for accuracy.

My Egyptian had a really dark and fuzzy bore when I initially picked it up for a song. After some TLC and putting rounds down range, she turned out to be a better shooter than my "pretty" Century build (which basically used NOS parts including receiver).

lew
November 15, 2017, 11:55
Years ago, I had Ken Kubin at Global Military Gunsmithing rebarrel an Egyptian. Good price, and it ran like a top after that.

Riversidesports
November 15, 2017, 17:36
If you've got the barrel, it's $150 labor, $40 return ship. Locking shoulders are $45 if I can't use your old one. I really should have taken advantage of Sarco's 10 for $200 NIW 8mm barrels, back in the day . .

Decent price GP. 49's are not something I'd trust Joe the gunschmidt with, pretty easy to twist receivers.

SARCO had bought up a mess of their parts when the old dude who owned Springfield Sporters passed and the family had their auction selling off the warehouses of firearms.
Even after that SS still had new barrel assms for thirty odd bucks up until maybe 4 ? years ago.

Sheppsan
November 15, 2017, 21:45
Appreciate you all chipping in with helpful advice. I'm going to scope out the rifle again Friday and if it looks all original I think I'll get it. From what I've read $600 seems a reasonable price if it is still seems to be in reasonable shape. Springfield Sporters still have 8mm NOS barrels for $35.

Regards, Sheppsan

Riversidesports
November 15, 2017, 22:32
Appreciate you all chipping in with helpful advice. I'm going to scope out the rifle again Friday and if it looks all original I think I'll get it. From what I've read $600 seems a reasonable price if it is still seems to be in reasonable shape. Springfield Sporters still have 8mm NOS barrels for $35.

Regards, Sheppsan

That it seems they do...must have found more in the warehouses:

http://www.ssporters.com/product-p/1844-1.htm

another poster here, SAFN had a brief tutorial on modding up German MG13 mags for the 8mm 49's

something else
does it have the dovetail on the left side of the receiver for the scope base ?
most Egyptians didn't but some did

$600 is Okay
I'd offer $500 and when they refuse see if you can get it down to $550 out the door as an unknown.

remember though you really should not run the cheap Arab ammo through these things...Turkish fodder will ruin your 49'