fal fiend
November 09, 2017, 18:45
Were the parked. paint etc ?

mp
November 09, 2017, 19:18
Rust over park

fal fiend
November 09, 2017, 19:34
lower i have has some black paint on it/ recoil tube, pistol grip stud is in black paint

meltblown
November 09, 2017, 19:42
Rust over park

With a generous application of pitting solution

SAFN49
November 09, 2017, 19:51
^^^^ Damn you guys beat me too it! :rofl:

fal fiend
November 09, 2017, 21:33
thanks for all your help/ NOT/ lol

pistolero1911
November 10, 2017, 16:48
Cat piss optional.

Seriously I am working on a Cuban/Nicaraguan FAL and want a BFPU distressed finish. Neighbor has a cat.....

embatp
November 10, 2017, 16:55
I would guess paint over park.....itís possible maybe some of the early ones may have been blued but thatís a guess....

pl521
November 10, 2017, 17:56
A few samples in this thread methods used in finishing a Cuban FAL.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386753

Louis
November 10, 2017, 19:17
The lower I received in my Cuban kit was actually in great shape. It looked to be standard paint over park.

fal fiend
November 10, 2017, 19:25
/what kind of black paint do u use

lew
November 10, 2017, 19:57
I used Rustoleum 7777 on my Portuguese m962 clone. It does a fantastic job of replicating FN's paint.

Tikiman001
November 10, 2017, 23:25
Almost all the ones I've seen had rusty flash hiders.

Abominog
April 29, 2018, 08:25
I recently got a Cuban kit including barrel. Upon removal of the stock exposed a like new recoil tube with nice black paint over park. The rest of the rifle is also paint over park though of course the paint is badly worn. Of interest is that many parts are dated 1955.

The PG is plastic and from what I can see in period photos that is correct. Interesting that FN appears to have employed the plastic PG so early.

Lee Carpentieri
April 29, 2018, 09:21
Well, According to Mr. Stevens, Castro ordered the Fal's in 1958. I believe that 1957 was the year of change over to plastic with the Pistol grips and the Phenolic fiber glass hand guards. My Cuban lower is 4594 with the upside down triangle and what's left of the paint over park.

C2A1
April 29, 2018, 09:57
All my kits have plastic grips but have wooden hand guards and buttstocks. One has an A buttstock.

Kingtubby
April 29, 2018, 10:29
A Rusty patina indicative of its salty existence

embatp
April 29, 2018, 12:00
All my kits have plastic grips but have wooden hand guards and buttstocks. One has an A buttstock.

Cubans? Iíd like to see pics of that....

Abominog
April 29, 2018, 12:04

Cuban marked lowers? Sarco or other source provided the wood? Ie are they correct and original configuration?

Abominog
April 29, 2018, 15:43
Keep in mind that the Batista government procured FN's FAL prior to Castro doing so. According to Cashner, Castro carried a Venezuelan FAL during the insurgency.

Castro later procured FN FALs. One post on Gunboards cites Batista purchasing them after 1958 due to US refusal to arm Cuba. This is rather well documented and known, however Batista also procured FNs earlier. Thus, we have two- possibly three- major procurements of the FAL by "Cuba", with a probably 8 years or so between first and last.

Thus far, all the photos I've seen are Type B FH, Type C wood stock, plastic PG. If anyone finds a photo of something else, post it up.

Photos of both wood HG and synthetic exist. Many HG that came on kits are black, mine are dark brown with two bullet hits on one.

mctotten
May 03, 2018, 17:17
My newer cuban lower is paint over park... the older one looked more like paint over blue.. but it is paint over whatever now.. four digit #9288.

Madjackusmc
May 16, 2018, 06:51
I picked up a couple Cuban fals from Sarco, about a year ago, as so many have stated, paint over park was the standard, one of mine was from Batista's time, the other definitively used by Castro, as the soldier carved that on the wood stock before it rotted into "not enough wood to fill", at the time I got it.
Both are G-1's, one deeply pitted lower, brazed on gas tube, and probably hand cycled, the other, earlier, little pitting, no stock, and most parts useable in the build.
Two or three others were in my shop, friends also doing the same thing, and they were all in the similar condition, no real difference between pre-Castro and post. They all built up very nicely, and run quite well.
Another thing I noted, several have the flash suppressor like the L1A1, with 9/16ths 24 right hand thread, a lock ring, and pin, and this would be how someone put "an L1A1 flash suppressor on a metric fal", as questioned some time ago. I got a barrel from one, and with sharp rifling, straight, and have such a suppressor on it.
I bought a couple "demilled uppers", to get the full scope of shapes and dimensions for both original barrel and receiver profiles, and out of this found the metric, right hand threaded suppressor. They also all had the Belgian original "bulged chamber end" of the barrel, from before the tapered form was produced. Those two Cubans produced very nice finished rifles, one of the best deals I've done.
Semper Fidelis,
John McClain