PDA

View Full Version : AR 180 mags and parts ?

Dean762
November 09, 2017, 02:25
Anyone out there have a good source for ar 180 mags in the 20 or 30 rd variety ? Also interested in parts and accessories. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks for looking ! :bow:

Dean :shades:

K. Funk
November 09, 2017, 06:38
I have 1 20 rounder I have no use for. I think it is marked AR-18/AR-15, but I am working from memory. PM me an e-mail address and I'll get you a photo.

Thanks,

krf

Dean762
November 09, 2017, 08:13
I have 1 20 rounder I have no use for. I think it is marked AR-18/AR-15, but I am working from memory. PM me an e-mail address and I'll get you a photo.

Thanks,

krf

Thanks K ! PM sent. :)

bfoosh006
November 09, 2017, 19:21
You might try this... about half way down the page...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/AR_180_Questions/123-642562/&page=2

pre1989
November 10, 2017, 11:36
As someone who has used a AR180 I can tell you for mags

1. Look for the old school black IMI AR mags at least when PSA was blowing them out they were cut both sides for AR/AR180 ..And they do lock in and work
2. Easy way to get mags is just mod AR mags just mesure where the cut is and do it to a AR mag it takes like 30 sec with tools or more with hand ..AR180 mags are just AR mags with another cut on them on the left side
3. Eagle and Thermold both made / still make mags ..Ok for range use the Thermold are expandale to 45 round
4. Org mags wont be cheep esp the 40 rounder ..Alway make sure they are org seem a lot of converted AR mags passed off as factory

As for other parts I think Stormwerzk made or still makes a scope mount , org are not cheep ..THere are a couple of sites that still stock or make small parts /upgrades for the guns as well

Dean762
November 12, 2017, 21:00
Thanks for the responses. Anybody know of a good source for the IMI G2 30 rd mags ?

cwikjr
November 23, 2017, 07:26
Thanks for the responses. Anybody know of a good source for the IMI G2 30 rd mags ?

Cheaper than dirt had the 30 round IMI AR-180 cut mags a while back...

They have these IMI 20 rounders now says they are cut for the 180...

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/imi-defense-g1-m16-ar-15-20-round-magazine-imi-zmg02-813782023026.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search&ecList=6&ecCategory=

You'll have to trim the follower a little to make them interface with the 180's bolt hold open correctly...

Dean762
November 23, 2017, 07:38
Cheaper than dirt had the 30 round IMI AR-180 cut mags a while back...

They have these IMI 20 rounders now says they are cut for the 180...

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/imi-defense-g1-m16-ar-15-20-round-magazine-imi-zmg02-813782023026.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search&ecList=6&ecCategory=

You'll have to trim the follower a little to make them interface with the 180's bolt hold open correctly...

I tried one of these and even though they have the cut they dont work. :confused: Go figure? But thanks anyway.

cwikjr
November 23, 2017, 08:32
I tried one of these and even though they have the cut they dont work. :confused: Go figure? But thanks anyway.

Let me root through my AR-180 stuff I may have one of the IMI 30's that's extra and I'll give it to you...

I've had good luck with converting AR-15 20 & 30 round mags for my 180 also...

As for spare parts they are hens teeth...

You could go with a Nodak 180 replacement lower and use AR mags and fire control groups...

http://nodakspud.com/NDS-18S.htm

Here is a good source for AR-180 info also...

http://ar180s.com/

PM me and I'll scrounge up a mag for you...

Dean762
November 23, 2017, 11:24
Let me root through my AR-180 stuff I may have one of the IMI 30's that's extra and I'll give it to you...

I've had good luck with converting AR-15 20 & 30 round mags for my 180 also...

As for spare parts they are hens teeth...

You could go with a Nodak 180 replacement lower and use AR mags and fire control groups...

http://nodakspud.com/NDS-18S.htm

Here is a good source for AR-180 info also...

http://ar180s.com/

PM me and I'll scrounge up a mag for you...

Thanks. PM sent.

Mr.Gadget
November 24, 2017, 19:49
I just sold some AR 18/180 parts to Numrich gun supply. gas piston/gas block parts-piston ext.

Dean762
November 24, 2017, 19:52
I just sold some AR 18/180 parts to Numrich gun supply. gas piston/gas block parts-piston ext.

I assume that is all you had ? No mags ?

pre1989
November 25, 2017, 19:23
Late I know ..But I have a old box of old Eagle arms AR180 mags ..All plastic but would be probley be ok for range mags if you need some cheepo tinker mags

Also I would be happy to send pics of the AR15 mags I had converted in terms of cut location etc ..Assuming I can find said cut

It is not hard to do ..I have my smith cut all them took like 10 mint to do 15 of them ..Just normal old stock 30 rounder metal mags ( bushmasters and colts )

You probl want to have a org mag to use a template though

Timber Wolf
November 25, 2017, 20:52
Back in the day I made several 20 round mags for my Sterling 180. I simply inserted regular AR mags in the gun and lightly tapped on the mag catch to make a mark on the side of the mag. Then using a cutting wheel in a Dremal I cut the notch. Easy-peezy. Too easy as a matter of fact as I cut a whole bunch of nice Colt mags.:rolleyes:

Over the years I found one Sterling 30 round mag at a gun show and three Armalite 20 rounders marked AR-18 on a local gun board. I think I paid $30 for the Sterling almost 20 years ago and $40 each for the Armalites a couple of years ago. As I recall I was paying $7 for 20 round USGI mags back when I cut them up. The straight-up 180 mags are neat with the factory notch and no hole or bump in the AR15 place.

The only 180 parts I bought where back in the pre-internet days.:uhoh: Think I found them through ads in the Shotgun News. Got a hammer from somebody who had a stash of NOS parts. Got a reproduced bolt hold open from somebody else.

Dean762
November 25, 2017, 21:59
Back in the day I made several 20 round mags for my Sterling 180. I simply inserted regular AR mags in the gun and lightly tapped on the mag catch to make a mark on the side of the mag. Then using a cutting wheel in a Dremal I cut the notch. Easy-peezy. Too easy as a matter of fact as I cut a whole bunch of nice Colt mags.:rolleyes:

Over the years I found one Sterling 30 round mag at a gun show and three Armalite 20 rounders marked AR-18 on a local gun board. I think I paid $30 for the Sterling almost 20 years ago and $40 each for the Armalites a couple of years ago. As I recall I was paying $7 for 20 round USGI mags back when I cut them up. The straight-up 180 mags are neat with the factory notch and no hole or bump in the AR15 place.

The only 180 parts I bought where back in the pre-internet days.:uhoh: Think I found them through ads in the Shotgun News. Got a hammer from somebody who had a stash of NOS parts. Got a reproduced bolt hold open from somebody else.

I understand from another board member that the follower also needs to be cut and the notch on the left side also needs to be modified ? :confused:

Timber Wolf
November 26, 2017, 10:03
I understand from another board member that the follower also needs to be cut and the notch on the left side also needs to be modified ? :confused:

Uh, well maybe. I never modded the follower and my cut mags fed perfectly. I did have to thin the AR15 notch bump on a few that were too wide to go in the mag well easily. For full disclosure, my Sterling came to me missing the complete BHO assembly so when I was making mags for it this feature was not important, if I even knew about it then (long ago).

It turned out the missing BHO and broken (but still functional) hammer on mine were related. It seems that letting the hammer fall with the action open damages the BHO and hammer. Hence my gun was limping around in the wild having suffered that fate. I was fortunate to figure this all out, and get the parts to fix it, even without the power of the internet.

It has been a decade or more since I fired my 180 so I pulled it out of the safe to check things out. A mag-catch cut only mag fed all but the last round. In other words, without the correct follower cut the BHO engages slightly prematurely.

ratas calientes
December 02, 2017, 21:17
I have one 40 rounder that you can have. It does not fit into my Sterling so you can give it a try. Just PM me a shipping address.

Dean762
December 02, 2017, 22:57
I have one 40 rounder that you can have. It does not fit into my Sterling so you can give it a try. Just PM me a shipping address.

Will do. Thanks.