PDA

View Full Version : Need info on HP

Guy-epic
November 07, 2017, 15:23
I really want to get a high power pistol to shoot, and likely start to carry after I am proficient with it. I want a FN made HP that preferably doesnít have import markings. I really am not sure what a good price is. Every time I look at them they are priced all over the spectrum. I donít need a rare version, I just want a great reliable pistol that I can trust, and service as needed. Please give me the wisdom.

Douglas Wozny
November 07, 2017, 23:04
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/hi-power-pistols/current-production.html

Click on the dealers tab and find the dealer nearest you. Go the that dealer with money and come home with a High Power. I assume by Everett you mean Everett, Washington. If so, Cabela's in Tulalip or Sportman's Warehouse in Everett.

raubvogel
November 08, 2017, 06:28
Since I am not as demanding as you, I would think an Arcus 98 would fit that nicely. Or a FEG

paco
November 08, 2017, 06:38
move to Belgium :D

They start at 250$ for a used one
FN Herstal

jhend170
November 08, 2017, 11:13
Since I am not as demanding as you, I would think an Arcus 98 would fit that nicely. Or a FEG

This... buy the real deal for the safe and fun, buy the FEG to use as a weapon that delivers lead at high speed and steel at a slower speed, while not worrying about if you hurt it or its value. I believe all the after-market stuff for a HP is perfectly interchangeable as well.

Douglas Wozny
November 08, 2017, 11:18
You may want to go over to 1911forum.com and peruse the Browning Hi-Power forum the information.

MAINER
November 08, 2017, 11:24
Here's two for you. Did you want that with target sights (top one) or standard (bottom).

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714333531

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/715501543

Both are like new from the 80's, made in Belgique. with forged frames. Nuthing wrong with the newer cast as far as I know, btw.

Expect both of these to go anywhere from $1,000 to $1200 and would be a good buy at that.
It is unfortunate that the BHP has lately attained the lofty status as "highly desirable collectable". :cry:
For the prices asked for used HP's, new ones are not much more. "Nothing like the smell of a new High Power in the morning. " :shades:

While I like the HP, the sights suk, for me at least. I can't see the older fixed sights and the "Target sight" looks like it was perched on the slide as an after thought.

I don't know your experience with the BHP, but just a caution if you buy a used pistol, be sure to check that the Magazine Safety hasn't been removed.
Know of an AD from one such pistol.

The BHP is a beautiful, classic pistol, but with the prices of the things, I am gone to the CZ 75 and happy to do so.

hagar
November 08, 2017, 11:56
Buy a CZ75 instead, better value for money.

bigstick61
November 08, 2017, 18:15
I got an Argie FM-made (FN licensed) Hi-Power for $200 with four mags and a couple of boxes of ammo (albeit over a decade ago, now) and more recently, a FN Hi-Power (Israeli police surplus) for $475 with two mags from CDI Sales.

Both have concealed import marks. The Argie has them from CAI under the stocks. The FN has a very minimal one from CDI on the barrel near the muzzle end. The one's that CDI has been selling at their shop and on Gunbroker seem to mostly run in the $350-$550 range, with varying condition, with one or two mags.

This is what the one I bought earlier this year looked like:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/33156748254_65e4a25a4d_b.jpg

Bore condition is excellent, and it mechanically functions well. The trigger is surprisingly good given that the magazine disconnect safety is still present (I can't seem to be able to remove it, unfortunately; the trigger retaining pin may need to be pressed out, and the trigger is the version that doesn't let you remove the disconnect with the trigger installed). The two holes in the frame are for some sort of experimental Israeli optic mount of some sort, supposedly.

I could have gotten one for less with similar finish and without the holes, but I really wanted the ring hammer, lanyard ring, and wood stocks, so I paid a bit extra. There were some otherwise just as nice for close to $400.

Eyeguy
November 08, 2017, 18:41
[QUOTE=bigstick61;4499251]I got an Argie FM-made (FN licensed) Hi-Power for $200 with four mags and a couple of boxes of ammo (albeit over a decade ago, now) and more recently, a FN Hi-Power (Israeli police surplus) for $475 with two mags from CDI Sales.

I've purchased several pistols from CDI; BHP, Beretta 85F and a Tangfolio TA90. Seller rates condition fairly and you get to see the actual pistol you're buying. With due diligence on a purchase here I don't think you'll be unhappy.

Glashaus
November 09, 2017, 06:06
Here are the Brownings that CDI currently has on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=2621012&PageSize=24&mfg=1000049

lostmybearing
November 09, 2017, 06:52
I would pick the nicest Mk3 that CDI has . Mk3's are just better pistols to actually use. You should be able to get one from CDI on GB for less than $500 . You may have to be patient and check daily. A good one will come along.

lew
November 09, 2017, 11:51
I picked up an FM M95 (Argentine clone) years ago and carried it until I got my G19. I still carry it on occasion. I liked it better than the FN I bought, and have since sold. I think the FM is the best of the bunch. Keep your eyes peeled for one.

hagar
November 09, 2017, 12:40
Here are the Brownings that CDI currently has on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=2621012&PageSize=24&mfg=1000049

I don't need another Browning. I don't need another Browning.. :facepalm:

But I do think they are wrong on shipping it USPS to a C&R holder. You, as a C&R holder cannot ship it USPS, but you can receive it through them from an FFL dealer. Correct me if I am wrong?

Actually I do own one, one of the last ones Browning made (serial 511NN519XX) with the Tangent sights. The first handgun I owned in South Africa was a Browning Kapitan serial # T370162. Walked into a gunstore here in SC back in 2003 just to browse, and they had it on special for $500 brand new. It left with me, but I do not intend to ever fire it.

pureveggie
November 11, 2017, 01:31
Before you buy a hp to carry as a carry gun I suggest checking out older generation sig sauer 40 and 45 if you want a super accurate and reliable carry gun I carry a 220 strictly and wouldn't carry anything else and you can have an amazing used one for a reasonable price used by police and militaries worldwide for good reason just sayin

kopcicle
November 13, 2017, 01:31
I have four recommendations for P35 CARRY

The thumb safety just isn't enough, height or length wise. Buy it, make it, fit it, but fix it.

The magazine disconnect is an abortion for a CARRY piece. If it is to be used at home It's a forgivable feature. It's influence on consistent trigger feel and release can be modified somewhat but it's best to remove it from a CARRY piece.

Springs, replace them all.

Quit bitching about the sights or replace them .

The P-35 isn't perfect by a long shot. (pun intended)* but with very little work it's close.

*who remembers the "tangent" sight? :-)

J. Armstrong
November 13, 2017, 09:49

The thumb safety just isn't enough, height or length wise. Buy it, make it, fit it, but fix it.

The magazine disconnect is an abortion for a CARRY piece. If it is to be used at home It's a forgivable feature. It's influence on consistent trigger feel and release can be modified somewhat but it's best to remove it from a CARRY piece.

The P-35 isn't perfect by a long shot. (pun intended)* but with very little work it's close.

Absolutely spot on :bow:

Have always carried an Austin Behlert ( RIP ) tuned HP . Recently picked up a CZ75B SA. The CZ is definitely a better pistol for the money than a stock HP, but with the modifications listed above I still prefer the HP. The CZ feels very similar, but definitely not as good as an HP, at least for those of us with normal sized hands.

Since the changes kop mentions are really necessary and in the case of the sights may mean modifying the slide, I believe I would look at an FMAP or FEG rather than a pristine Belgian. JMHO, though.

hagar
November 13, 2017, 10:16
That tangent sight works surprisingly well. I could hit 44 gallon drums at 500 yards with it pretty consistently. And I shot a lot of small game with it in South Africa. But it is a sight for young eyes..

czhen
November 13, 2017, 21:14
In addition, visit the late Stephen A. Camp's who was a great advocate for HP and pistol in general.
His guides (HP and 1911) are good material to have close.

here is the link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj29e7O_rzXAhVB5SYKHd4pDkYQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hipowersandhandguns.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw3mqGplDtso6emK3raIv_0M

btw: I have no bss relate to the above, just a follower of his work from the beginning of his site and in others forum.

Vulcanator
November 13, 2017, 21:52

With exception of the safety, I had everything else done on my MkIII.