View Full Version : IRON plus trilux sights

kendwell
June 20, 2002, 09:11
G-1 sights are 3mm lower plane. I am swapping out rear sight
on STG 58 for a G1 rear. The trilux now will clear it. FYI

John Randolph
June 20, 2002, 10:24
no S#!^?

What type of mount are you using on the Trilux?
Do I understand correctly, that with the G-1 sights you can see under the Trilux?

Mosin Guy
June 20, 2002, 10:29
The STG and the G1 use the same LOW line of sight,so theres no advantage that I can see to going to the G sights, your best bet would be to get one of the Either British or Aussie folding rear sights,that way you could fold the rear aperture down when using the Trilux .HTH

John Randolph
June 20, 2002, 10:34
But you'd still have to take the trilux off its mount to use the iron sights correct?

Mosin Guy
June 20, 2002, 10:42
Yes thats correct,the advantage is that your rear sight aperture would fold flat and not be in the way of your Trilux eye piece.HTH

Falfegnügen
June 20, 2002, 10:59
Originally posted by Mosin Guy
...your best bet would be to get one of the Either British or Aussie folding rear sights,that way you could fold the rear aperture down when using the Trilux .HTH

- And you would need to raise the front site to compensate. Easy on an L1A1, not as easy on an FN-pattern "Metric" FAL.

Also beware of the Indian folding rear sights. They look like Australian/British, but are lower line of sight, and also have push-button adjustment. The Indian makes it easier to raise the front, but you can just barely see over the SUIT mount, and the Indian folding rears are usually pretty loose and sloppy. Sloppiness is usually ok in a rifle's action, but not so good on the sights!

I've posted the various rear sight-line dimension on the Falfiles before. Probably in the archives.

kendwell
June 24, 2002, 11:16
Sorry: it was an R-1, not stg. The original iron impacted on the
trilux tube. I just replace the trilux with cover with a plain top
top cover when using iron. Trilux is Brit on original cover. I
am going to try the tritium shotgun bead method when one
can be found Any suggestions?
The G-1 sight clears just enough for light to shine thru. Front
sight did adjust, but i added a little locktite to screw