PDA

View Full Version : Help removing flash hider please!

jaflowers
November 05, 2017, 21:44
So, recently bought a perfect all original Steyr Import 50.00. Shoots great. I'd really like to take off the long flash hider without destroying anything. I've got a vise and barrel clamps and I've attempted to take it off gently but without any luck. I'm doing this to proactively prevent a banana peel event.

What is the best method for removal? Also, from some of Gunplumbers posts I'm thinking it's a RH thread but would someone please confirm this for me. Thanks for any and all help.

4markk
November 05, 2017, 21:48
It's LH thread ....

Also it is probably the best muzzle device ever developed for the FAL. To name a few of its capabilities, it dampens barrel harmonics and disrupts transitional ballistics. Why would you want to remove it?

OK I just reread your post. Please post a picture of the muzzle device you are talking about. If it is a long Browning, that is different than what I was referring to above.

308/223shooter
November 06, 2017, 01:03
Does it have the early long Browning type hider, with the key on the top of the barrel?

jaflowers
November 06, 2017, 08:59
Does it have the early long Browning type hider, with the key on the top of the barrel?

Yep, that's the one. Obviously you remove the screw and little washer / spacer but after that how do you get a grip on it to turn it without damaging it? Also, RH or LH? Thanks

4markk
November 06, 2017, 09:39
Yep, that's the one. Obviously you remove the screw and little washer / spacer but after that how do you get a grip on it to turn it without damaging it? Also, RH or LH? Thanks

Yup, that is the long Browning. It is strictly a flashhider and it is RH thread.

Personally I wouldn't replace it, you have a valuable rifle there and removing that FH will reduce its value.

meltblown
November 06, 2017, 09:51
Leave it. Buy another forged one just in case

jaflowers
November 06, 2017, 10:38
So the consensus is leave it until it fails/banana peels. Okay, I'll do that then. Any suggestions as to where I may find a forged one as a backup?

My reason for swapping was only to keep the original one intact. Thanks all.

meltblown
November 06, 2017, 10:44
It may never peel on you. Plus you may disfigure the one you have trying to get it off. I have a rifle with one and a spare just in case.

stoicrabbit
November 06, 2017, 11:01

A member here sold a wrench that would fit the browning long flash hider lug.
Before that I had a large nut that I used a file on to fit the lug.
Personally I'd pull the browning long flashhider and store it; replace with a RH Belgian combo device with roll pin.

jaflowers
November 06, 2017, 11:31
A member here sold a wrench that would fit the browning long flash hider lug.
Before that I had a large nut that I used a file on to fit the lug.
Personally I'd pull the browning long flashhider and store it; replace with a RH Belgian combo device with roll pin.

That's exactly what I was looking at doing. Not trying to change up the rifle, just wanting to preserve the only part that potentially fails.

jaflowers
November 06, 2017, 12:02
Thanks for all the replies. MGW had original FN long flash hiders in stock so I ordered up a couple of them as spares for in the future. :smile:

Douglas Wozny
November 06, 2017, 14:32
Thanks for all the replies. MGW had original FN long flash hiders in stock so I ordered up a couple of them as spares for in the future. :smile:

I picked up a couple of those awhile back. They ring when hit! You may want to radius the inside ends of the slot cuts. The original configuration is a stress concentrator.

4markk
November 06, 2017, 21:34
That's exactly what I was looking at doing. Not trying to change up the rifle, just wanting to preserve the only part that potentially fails.

Short of sustained automatic fire, that Browning FH will probably outlive you.

I'm never one to knock collecting spare parts (God knows I have boxes full). But practically speaking it is very remote you will have to replace any part on that FAL.