PDA

View Full Version : M1911 A1 cycle issue

308/223shooter
November 03, 2017, 01:29
Got a M1911 A1 in trade today, but the disconnector seems to stick up enough to "catch" the slide if you run the slide slowly. I've never had a M1911 A1 do this before. Is this a issue? The pistol runs well other wise.

TenTea
November 03, 2017, 06:35
The proof will be in the pudding at the range.
If in spec otherwise, might lightly polish the top protruberance and make sure the disconnector hole in the frame is smooth and free of burrs.
Otherwise, an easy replacement part.

gunners
November 03, 2017, 07:45
Rich:

I would first remove the sear spring and LIGHTLY chamfer the edge of the middle "finger" (with a stone) that makes contact with the bottom of the disconnector then reassemble. I do this to all sear springs before I build a 1911. If you are going to be in Seattle anytime soon I'll do it all for a "thank you".

Mark

hueyville
November 03, 2017, 08:40
If runs to suit you on range then might wait and see how it acts after a few hundred rounds. Till I have run 300 to 500 rounds through a 1911 I don't make any alterations as want everything to mesh together before make major decisions. If have not detail stripped and made sure no contaminant or metal shaving is somewhere a good scrubbing of all parts, reassembly with proper lubrication is never a bad idea. In all my super light (2.5 to 3.2 pound) pull triggers always use a Clark four finger spring. In my 3.25 to 4.25 pound pull pistols generally run Cylinder and Slide or Nowlin mainsprings though have a fair number of Wilson springs due to ease of finding off the rack. If pistol is shooting without malfunctions would probably run 500 rounds, do a good detail clean and then see where it's at.

Wrong forum and thread but looking at a Cylinder and Slide Target hammer and sear kit along with their wide trigger and a few other parts. Have a passel of Hi Powers and all are stock except one custom build purchased from guy who had the work done.