PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 Rear sight aperature... change?

Shadow_Walker
June 20, 2002, 00:35
Is there a decent replacement for the L1A1 rear sight aperature or a way to reduce the size of that opening?
I like the rifle , it shoots well, operates well, and is a pleasure to own but that rear sight sucks!:rolleyes:
I'd really like to keep the present sight but reduce the size of the opening... Is there a way to do this procedure that is WECSOG approved and cheap enough for the average working stiff to afford?:confused:
I'm certain the Canadian rear sight would cure the problem but I can't afford it.. Momma says no-go!
If you want, you can answer me off-line or post here for others to read as well.
I will take ALL serious answers under advisement for a 'fix'. Thanks, fellas. I'm sure someone knows how to do this.....

-=[ Shadow Walker ]=-

Vulcan
June 20, 2002, 02:13
You need to bear in mind that this is a combat sight....its purpose is to allow you to automatically center your forward post within the "halo" of the rear aperture without needing to focus on the rear sight. However, I agree that a smaller size would be more conducive to target accuracy and smaller groups. I have considered getting a spare rear site and weld filling the center (after carefully measuring the center) and drilling a new aperture in steps starting at .040 and progressing up in size till the ideal size is found. Also, there are hollow machine screws (I'm sorry the proper name excapes me at the moment) that could be used by drilling out the aperture to the appropriate tap size and installing the bolt with enough protruding through to put on a lock nut. I have done neither yet, only thought about it.

HTH

recce
June 20, 2002, 05:55
There have been a few posts on this. Some have welded and re-drilled as S.W. recomended, or have used something like JB Weld to fill the hole and drilled.

davem3
June 20, 2002, 09:32
I drilled mine out and silver soldered on a bushing I had tapped with 7/32 x 40 threads ~ now I can use any Lyman receiver sight aperture.

MonV
June 20, 2002, 09:43
Someone had suggested blackelectrical tape over the existing apperture and then punch the size hole you need/want. Should work real good. Now that's WECSOGging it!!!

mountain man
June 20, 2002, 09:59
Here's what I did to mine: tap the aperature to 4-40. Drill a tiny hole down the center of a 4-40 allen head screw and thread it into the hole. Re-zero sight. Add hood if desired, I used a little chunk of brass tubing that fit tightly over the screw's head and painted the whole thing flat black. Works like a charm. :)