PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 located & removed from a "Hoarders" home

Frontline
October 31, 2017, 17:33
My buddy owns a gunshop in another state. He sent me pics of this L1A1 removed from the estate of a deceased "Hoarder".
Apparently, there was thousands of rounds of various types of ammo, in cardboard boxes, ruined by cat piss and refuse.
There were a couple of other ordinary guns purchased as well, but this L1A1 was the one that caught my eye. He recovered a few magazines for it too! It's a damn shame, but the ammo was found to be entirely worthless. VERY corroded. He did them a favor and removed it from the house. Maybe pull projo's, whatever.
But anyway, here is the L1A1, Honestly, I told him once you get the stink off of it, I'd leave it as is. Discuss.
Link to Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/DoLHz

plinker
October 31, 2017, 18:32
Some paint and the correct rear sight will fix it up, still a shame though. Wonder what the bore looks like.

I the mag well metric cut or inch cut? I've only seen one and it was cut for metric mags.

meltblown
October 31, 2017, 18:34
Little TLC and a blast park and paint. Will solve the cat piss issues. All depends on his heartburn level.

4x401
October 31, 2017, 20:29
Wonder if the putz ever hit anything with it.....:whistling::whistling:

4x401
October 31, 2017, 20:30
My buddy owns a gunshop in another state. He sent me pics of this L1A1 removed from the estate of a deceased "Hoarder".
Apparently, there was thousands of rounds of various types of ammo, in cardboard boxes, ruined by cat piss and refuse.
There were a couple of other ordinary guns purchased as well, but this L1A1 was the one that caught my eye. He recovered a few magazines for it too! It's a damn shame, but the ammo was found to be entirely worthless. VERY corroded. He did them a favor and removed it from the house. Maybe pull projo's, whatever.
But anyway, here is the L1A1, Honestly, I told him once you get the stink off of it, I'd leave it as is. Discuss.
Link to Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/DoLHz

Might want to tell your "Friend" to turn the rear sight around.....:facepalm::facepalm:

G3isMe
October 31, 2017, 22:32
Some paint and the correct rear sight will fix it up, still a shame though. Wonder what the bore looks like.

I the mag well metric cut or inch cut? I've only seen one and it was cut for metric mags.

LMAO some of "you guys" spend a lot of time and money trying to recreate that battlefield pick-up.....:whistling:....:whistling:......:whistling: ....... This guy went so far as to even recreate the quadraped urine stains and tarnish much like a Turkish pack-camel. I wonder if it came with one of those Tapco special slings. Smells like it would fit right in with this collection....

Frontline
October 31, 2017, 23:14
Jeezus, this is legit. I thought you would enjoy the share. If ya'all are gonna kick it in the nutz, then I'll just delete it.

G3isMe
October 31, 2017, 23:29
Jeezus, this is legit. I thought you would enjoy the share. If ya'all are gonna kick it in the nutz, then I'll just delete it.

Oh c'mon, we are just enjoying the post and the situation. Ya don't need to get upset and get your panties in a wad. Lightenup a little....:biggrin: Ya' gonna' need thicker skin over here....

gunplumber
November 01, 2017, 08:54
That will buff out.

I'll bid $500.

Frontline
November 01, 2017, 09:06
I hope he leaves it as is... except for the aftermarket rear sight. What would be a pretty close to correct sight for that SLR that isnt 150 bux, like those diopter sights I keep seeing ads for?
Supposed to get some pics of under the wood forend. I hope its not a corroded mess. The good news is the rifle was standing muzzle end up, in a corner, so maybe all the cat spray and trash stayed low.

308/223shooter
November 01, 2017, 11:16
I hope he leaves it as is... except for the aftermarket rear sight. What would be a pretty close to correct sight for that SLR that isnt 150 bux, like those diopter sights I keep seeing ads for?
Supposed to get some pics of under the wood forend. I hope its not a corroded mess. The good news is the rifle was standing muzzle end up, in a corner, so maybe all the cat spray and trash stayed low.

Rear sight would likely be a standard Inch type.

MAINER
November 01, 2017, 14:11
The guy may have had Bats in his Belfry, but at least he was sane enough to buy an L1A1 on an Imbel. :smile:

Glad your buddy is going to rescue it, could have ended up in the PoPo incinerator. Cat piss can't be all that much worse than Creosote or Camel Dung. :tongue:

Jarhead504
November 01, 2017, 15:23
Brother Frontline: I hope he gives it to you and you could make it right with a new refinish like paint over parkerizing or just a bead-blasted blued. You would have a nice "patrol FAL" that would be allowed more abuse than the "Hammer". Keep us posted with this one.

BCR: Jarhead

Invictus77
November 01, 2017, 16:18
Honestly, I told him once you get the stink off of it, I'd leave it as is. Discuss.

+1 :bow:

Chester Nimitz
November 01, 2017, 16:49
The wood grips, buttstock, PG and carry handle look like the best selling points. Chrome barrels will not be affected the same way as the exterior metal surfaces. You can even swap out the lower, etc. A great way to start a project and make it exactly like you want. If the price was right I would grab it in a heartbeat.

gunplumber
November 01, 2017, 18:03
I just refinished a friend's 1911 that had been urinated upon, by a cat. He had cleaned the outside but didn't know how to detail strip it. So the acidic urine attacked the parts inside for months. It was horrid. But outside, still pristine.

I've dealt with hoarders too. Strange mental illness. Associated with "hoarding" pets as well.

I'm a collector. The difference between a hoarder and a collector isn't the amount of stuff, but how it is organized (or that it is organized).

jsparky1983
November 01, 2017, 20:58
... I'm a collector. The difference between a hoarder and a collector isn't the amount of stuff, but how it is organized (or that it is organized).

I’ll be showing my wife and certain friends this. This is the best explaination I’ve found yet. Thanks Mark.

Riversidesports
November 01, 2017, 22:53
Going to disagree with Mark on this one

Hoarders don't usually attempt to preserve
Oh, they can be anal on organization...they just don't even grease up things, they let it rust away then stack more over it :facepalm:

Seen this a number of times
relatives did this
not talking a mere twenty long arms, try a few hundred :facepalm:

recall appraising one accumulation...three layers deep in a "bedroom" over at least two generations
sad thing was most of the crap on the surface was 20th century, beneath that were Henry rifles, 1866, 1873s, 1876 Winchesters etc
all gone to funk. I took the funk, sold the rest in a lot to a dealer.

That's a hoarder

Another case a buddy ended up with over 50 Rifles
family discovered them under mattresses, under beds, behind the furnace and water heater. All rusted to fuk
The Great Uncles home. He had been buying since the 20s. I ended up with the ammo, great deal...50 RF Spencer, over 800 rounds. .45 Government still in the wood crates...like close to 2000 rounds. .236 Lee ammo, .30-40 krag, etc most all old Bannerman stock with intact shipping labels on the crates from as early as the 30s

Another hoarder of shit

organization don't mean shit all, it's whether you keep the goods in decent preservation...hoarders generally do not.

TOM DONIPHON
November 02, 2017, 02:41
Hey G3isMe send me your address, I have a sling for you....

raubvogel
November 02, 2017, 05:32
Little TLC and a blast park and paint. Will solve the cat piss issues. All depends on his heartburn level.

“Oh, I don’t know. A little paint, a few flowers, a couple of throw pillows”

AGG
November 02, 2017, 09:31
I just refinished a friend's 1911 that had been urinated upon, by a cat. He had cleaned the outside but didn't know how to detail strip it. So the acidic urine attacked the parts inside for months. It was horrid. But outside, still pristine.

I've dealt with hoarders too. Strange mental illness. Associated with "hoarding" pets as well.

I'm a collector. The difference between a hoarder and a collector isn't the amount of stuff, but how it is organized (or that it is organized).

I consider myself a collector (collectible firearms that are NIB w/all), and a hoarder (acquire accessories, etc., and never sell anything--- but very organized and cataloged)!!! :)

Tony

01BIRDDOG
November 02, 2017, 15:45

I have had some mighty high dollar Harley XR750 parts ruined from mouse piss. Hate the little turds.

EinheitElf
November 02, 2017, 16:19
Clean it make sure safe and leave as is,has character:) I would do $575 on it:wink:

Well,swap the backwards Holland sight and put on a proper inch one..

hueyville
November 04, 2017, 18:39
I would parkerize then Cerakote if internals looked decent but I like spiffing up rough guns. Have one rifle and two handguns getting prepped for Cerakote now so another in the pile would help justify having to clean the Sata Jet.

enbloc8
November 04, 2017, 23:11

I just got done cleaning out a family member's hoarder house. Her big thing was clothes and books. One room was books shoulder-high if not higher...took nearly four months to clean out. Much stuff went to Goodwill...lots of other stuff (especially the clothes) had gone to hell and had to be thrown out.

Nearly two and a half years of my life I had to lose because somebody couldn't get their shit together. :facepalm:

hueyville
November 05, 2017, 23:14
Nearly two and a half years of my life I had to lose because somebody couldn't get their shit together. :facepalm:

So your saying you don't want me to leave you four vaults which don't hold all the rifles again (looking for another), contents of said vaults, four reloading benches, five progressive presses, two turret presses, three single stage, two shotgun progressive presses, 100 sets of dies (standard, match, case forming, bullet pointing), bullet casting bench with three lead furnaces, bullet swaging equipment, multiple lockers of ammo, dozens of fireproof boxes of high cap mags, hundred pounds of powder or so, hundred thousand or so primers, projectiles weighed by fifty pound sacks, dozen lightweight threat Level 3, 3+ and 4 vests in Brit multicam and desert pattern for inch rifles, Austrian Multcam for metric rifles, U.S. multicam for M1a's, U.S. Woodland for 6.8, U.S. ACU for 5.56, U.S. Coyote for 22 Nosler, German Flecktern for H&K's, etc.

Really sure you don't want to then move work vaults and contents, parts to build a couple dozen AR's, a few FAL's, specialized tools including mill, arbor presses, hammer and sear jigs, TIG welders, torque wrenches, vices, drill press, 30 to 50 bullet proof vests and more once the house is sorted. Guess will have to force some other poor soul to sort my 45 years of hording. Your probably one of those guys all the boxes of 1911's would piss off because they are not Glocks so to save you any bother will cut you out of the will.

On subject of your post, wife's parents who lived seven hours from our house one way, bought a big camper, moved their cloths and few personal items into it and moved to Florida to play golf. Father in law called and told us we had 30 days to get all items out of house, some distributed to wife's sisters, disposed of, house cleaned, painted, all maintenance done down to steam clean carpet, keep lawn up and deal with realtors till sold. Took eleven days of moving stuff, then deal with realtor, clients and more added another five. Why am really wrestling with my hoard as it's horrid. Who wants four separate radar systems, ham radio towers, thousands of pieces of electrical hobby pieces, a years food, plus all the mountain climbing and skiing equipment plus bicycle collection with over 20 bikes and five motorcycles just to name some of the stuff. It's utter madness and will suck some hind tit for whoever separates it all if don't thin it down myself but did that once when had cancer then lived so built it all back. Oh, the multiple racks of 80 pound telecom batteries is a weeks work for an experienced crew.

enbloc8
November 06, 2017, 19:41
So your saying you don't want me to leave you four vaults which don't hold all the rifles again (looking for another), contents of said vaults, four reloading benches, five progressive presses, two turret presses, three single stage, two shotgun progressive presses, 100 sets of dies (standard, match, case forming, bullet pointing), bullet casting bench with three lead furnaces, bullet swaging equipment, multiple lockers of ammo, dozens of fireproof boxes of high cap mags, hundred pounds of powder or so, hundred thousand or so primers, projectiles weighed by fifty pound sacks, dozen lightweight threat Level 3, 3+ and 4 vests in Brit multicam and desert pattern for inch rifles, Austrian Multcam for metric rifles, U.S. multicam for M1a's, U.S. Woodland for 6.8, U.S. ACU for 5.56, U.S. Coyote for 22 Nosler, German Flecktern for H&K's, etc.

Really sure you don't want to then move work vaults and contents, parts to build a couple dozen AR's, a few FAL's, specialized tools including mill, arbor presses, hammer and sear jigs, TIG welders, torque wrenches, vices, drill press, 30 to 50 bullet proof vests and more once the house is sorted. Guess will have to force some other poor soul to sort my 45 years of hording. Your probably one of those guys all the boxes of 1911's would piss off because they are not Glocks so to save you any bother will cut you out of the will.

I appreciate that! :biggrin: :wink:

Seriously, once was enough...:facepalm:

Story
November 06, 2017, 21:25
I told him once you get the stink off of it, I'd leave it as is. Discuss.

Concur.

Cat Piss would be great name for a rifle.

gunplumber
November 07, 2017, 08:54
I appreciate that! :biggrin: :wink:

Seriously, once was enough...:facepalm:

Or his "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" book.