PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a PS90

Bubacus
October 30, 2017, 19:01
So believe it or not, the FN PS90 is still available up here in MA. Was talking to someone about a few trades and he offered a PS90 in a trade. He claims he has 100 rounds through it. Offering 2 mags and 50 rounds of ammo with it. Anything I should know about different production runs of these? I kind of like the older style without the picatiny rails. How are ammo prices for 5.728mm?

Thanks

canes173
October 30, 2017, 19:14
I've owned one for a bit, sbr'd. It came with the taller factory rail which I replaced with the Tros low rail and used a vortex venom on it. That was decent, but I ended running across a factory black ring sight, which is perfect for what this gun was designed for.
Some guys go crazy for the different trigger packs, and in sure someone can add the info on those.
Ss197 is usually $17.99 for 50 at palmetto, the AE version is $14.99 I believe. I try to stick with the ss197 but haven't had issues with either.

ftierson
October 30, 2017, 19:38
I have a couple that I like a lot, both full length PS90s. There are a couple of generations of them, mostly having to do with the trigger packs and sights. They all work.

With this cartridge, I don't think that the TROS(slightly lower) rail is worth it (the price), especially given that you only drop the sight line about 1/2-3/4 inch compared to the factory rail. With the factory rail and appropriate sights, your line of sight is about 4 1/4 inches above bore. Since this is really a 50-75 yard package (of course, you can shoot farther), the factory rail works OK.

Of course, I'd prefer the rail to be two inches lower, but I'd also like access to Soros's fortune, if you catch my drift.

Currently, I'm running a Burris Fastfire III on one and a Vortex Razor reflex red dot on the other. I tried a Vortex Venom (which is really designed for day pistol gaming) on one when the Venoms first came out and, while a nice sight for some things, it cannot be dimmed enough for low light carbine use. The Razor is usable that way, even if barely. All can be extremely bright for sunny use...

You will really enjoy the PS90.

As mentioned, PSA has been running basically a continuous sale on the Fiocchi produced 5.7x28mm ammo for the last couple of years, $17.99/box of 50 for the FNH SS197SR and $14.99/box of 50 for the American Eagle plated bullet (TMJ) stuff, with 10 or more boxes shipping free...

Get ammo while you can. Who knows what the shit-for-brains in DC plan about limiting ammo sales...

Forrest

Glashaus
October 30, 2017, 19:47
I really enjoy my PS90, lots of fun to shoot, only bad thing about it is that it made me spend more money when I decided that I needed another gun to shoot 5.7 out off and bought a Five Seven

jaflowers
October 30, 2017, 19:48
Great little carbines. As stated above, PSA has the best prices on plinking and varmint ammo and MGW usually has good prices on SS198 for defensive use. If you're going to keep the long barrel get the Imperial Arms barrel shroud, allows suppressor use. Love the SBR for a backpack, emergency rifle.

fnogger
October 30, 2017, 21:42
Buddy had one, fun to shoot, but the optic sucked for me.... too hard to see actual aiming point.

NFADLR
October 30, 2017, 22:59
Dave had one in 1993 or 1994 when I first met him at SOF where I also bought my first transferable FN Para 50.61, OK don't rag on me for this but I traded a FN Rogak for it.

At the time I didn't know what a Rogak was, yes this is me being humble.

I just looked up the name of the man I traded a g series for the rogak for, the Marine passed in 2013.

ftierson
October 31, 2017, 00:18
Buddy had one, fun to shoot, but the optic sucked for me.... too hard to see actual aiming point.

Probably one of the early ones with factory optic, an optic that many disliked for the reason you mention.

As far as I know, current models (for the past few years) ship with a rail and no factory provided optic (although some dealers add an optic to sell as a package).

Forrest

Glashaus
October 31, 2017, 06:21
Probably one of the early ones with factory optic, an optic that many disliked for the reason you mention.

As far as I know, current models (for the past few years) ship with a rail and no factory provided optic (although some dealers add an optic to sell as a package).

Forrest

Correct, the current ones do not ship with a factory optic. This is mine that I bought new last year, it shipped with the rail, there is a rudimentary aperture sight, I put the red dot on it, I know that the set up looks high, but it really works well for me on the PS90

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/tomhaynes47/image_zps609d1c36.jpeg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/tomhaynes47/media/image_zps609d1c36.jpeg.html)

raubvogel
October 31, 2017, 07:16
I wonder how the "operators operating operations" (i.e. mall ninjas) manage to do their ever-so-loved tactical reloads (dumping magazines, ideally in a way they are flying away) in a P90. :wink:

wanneroo
October 31, 2017, 08:56
I wonder how the "operators operating operations" (i.e. mall ninjas) manage to do their ever-so-loved tactical reloads (dumping magazines, ideally in a way they are flying away) in a P90. :wink:

Uh huh, not really happening with this firearm, but I am sure some tactical disco ninja can figure out some sort of arm twist dance to pull it off.

I have only shot a real P90 full auto, not the PS90, but imagine they are about the same in regards to controls. The magazine actually I find a bit fiddly to insert, seat and then remove. It's very different to anything I am used to so it would take a while to adjust. I also found the cocking handle a bit small. I'd say in someways it's almost too compact and small. I'd also wonder how you would clear a serious malfunction. It's definitely a firearm that is an acquired taste.

jaflowers
October 31, 2017, 11:43
Uh huh, not really happening with this firearm, but I am sure some tactical disco ninja can figure out some sort of arm twist dance to pull it off.

I have only shot a real P90 full auto, not the PS90, but imagine they are about the same in regards to controls. The magazine actually I find a bit fiddly to insert, seat and then remove. It's very different to anything I am used to so it would take a while to adjust. I also found the cocking handle a bit small. I'd say in someways it's almost too compact and small. I'd also wonder how you would clear a serious malfunction. It's definitely a firearm that is an acquired taste.

In regards to the magazine removal/replacement and charging handle, there are aftermarket handles and enlarged magazine releases made by ManKave products for the PS90 and they work and help out a lot. Here's a picture of mine and you can see the difference in the CH size and the mag release compare to a factory gun.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/jaflowers/Studio_20171013_215112_zpsv3wywgs9.jpg

ArtBanks
November 02, 2017, 06:06
Mine is an early version. Changed out the crappy optic that came with it for a Black reticle FN optic. Couldn't be happier. That along with the FN 5-7 one feels pretty well armed.
No problem getting ammo and it is not difficult to reload for if you like. While you are at it, the FS 2000 make a pretty awesome addition.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/HomeSecurity017.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/HomeSecurity017.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

4markk
November 02, 2017, 12:40
I have an AR-57 ..... the poorman's PS90.

www.57center.com

Have all the fun at a 1/3rd the cost. :wink:

I've been meaning to test my bump-stock lower on it to see if it has enough recoil to work.

jaflowers
November 02, 2017, 13:51
I have an AR-57 ..... the poorman's PS90.

www.57center.com

Have all the fun at a 1/3rd the cost. :wink:

I've been meaning to test my bump-stock lower on it to see if it has enough recoil to work.

If it doesn't you can always use a Gatling trigger attachment, those do work. :smile:

ArtBanks
November 02, 2017, 13:53
Yep, the AR - 5-7 is a fun gadget. Plays heck on coyotes. Especially with the can. They have no idea where things are coming from and just dance around in circles.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0647.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0647.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

base704
November 13, 2017, 08:21
Yep, the AR - 5-7 is a fun gadget. Plays heck on coyotes. Especially with the can. They have no idea where things are coming from and just dance around in circles.

Semper Fi
Art

How about an opinion of the "Five-Seven"?
I've thought about them for years, and find myself lusting even more, as of late...:(
Can you talk me out of it?

ETA: Talking about the handgun...

4markk
November 13, 2017, 12:22
I've thought about them for years, and find myself lusting even more, as of late...:(

I equate it as a VERY expensive .22 LR, because it takes no time at all to go through that 50rd hopper and it has little to no recoil like the .22.

However the round is supposed to be FAR more lethal. Some bullets are supposed to be capable of penetrating standard Kevlar body armor (that is the main issue that FN was receiving grief about).

As for me, the only thing I've killed with them is a stack of paper (both in my wallet and downrange).

Glashaus
November 13, 2017, 13:15

After getting a PS90 I picked up a Five Seven, they are pricey but a lot of fun to shoot. They are a big pistol but not heavy, light recoil and a 20 round mag.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/tomhaynes47/image_zps37df3adb.jpeg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/tomhaynes47/media/image_zps37df3adb.jpeg.html)

Not too many handguns that you can carry around in a shoulder holster and have 60 rounds of ammo in three magazines.

ArtBanks
November 13, 2017, 14:09

If I couldn't talk myself out of one, I sure can't do it for you either.
Suffer comrade.

Semper Fi
Art

ftierson
November 13, 2017, 23:45

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0647.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0647.jpg.html)

Not to hijack this thread from the PS-90 for long and since we've already deviated some with talk of the FN Five Seven pistol, what do you think about the accuracy of your AR-57 upper, Art?

I've had one for a couple of years and haven't played with it too much (it mounts a Vortex Sparc II at the moment), but the couple of times that I've shot it haven't knocked my socks off, accuracy-wise (not up to what I expect from the PS-90). I do have it on an Anderson lower put together with misc. parts, including a milspec FCG (which is at the shittier end of trigger pull for such things, but still...).

I've only shot FNH SS197SR in it.

How about yours...?

Forrest

base704
November 14, 2017, 08:53
Not too many handguns that you can carry around in a shoulder holster and have 60 rounds of ammo in three magazines.

If I couldn't talk myself out of one, I sure can't do it for you either.
Suffer comrade.

Semper Fi
Art

Thanx for the "help"...:facepalm:
I should have known better than to ask people around here. :rolleyes:

ArtBanks
November 14, 2017, 10:51
Not to hijack this thread from the PS-90 for long and since we've already deviated some with talk of the FN Five Seven pistol, what do you think about the accuracy of your AR-57 upper, Art?

I've had one for a couple of years and haven't played with it too much (it mounts a Vortex Sparc II at the moment), but the couple of times that I've shot it haven't knocked my socks off, accuracy-wise (not up to what I expect from the PS-90). I do have it on an Anderson lower put together with misc. parts, including a milspec FCG (which is at the shittier end of trigger pull for such things, but still...).

I've only shot FNH SS197SR in it.

How about yours...?

Forrest

It is as accurate as I need for what it is used for. Never really tried to shoot any kind of groups with it. I shoot so much precision rifle that the little ARs are sort of a toy. Coyotes are big targets and it works well on them.

Semper Fi
Art

4markk
November 14, 2017, 11:43
It is as accurate as I need for what it is used for. Never really tried to shoot any kind of groups with it. I shoot so much precision rifle that the little ARs are sort of a toy. Coyotes are big targets and it works well on them.

Semper Fi
Art

Kinda the same for me ... it's a fun toy. I use a holographic sight and after a hopper or two, I make large holes in the center of the target at 50 yards.

ftierson
November 14, 2017, 18:41
Thanx for the "help"...:facepalm:
I should have known better than to ask people around here. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should go and ask somewhere else...

Forrest

Bubacus
November 15, 2017, 07:31
Took the plunge and picked one up over the weekend. I tried to mount a Browning Buckmark reflex site I like on it, but couldn't get the elevation low enough to zero it. It kind of felt like adjusting a site from the empire state building of gun mounts. I'll look into optics suggested above. Or I may look into the TRO USA Ultra Low Mount:

https://trosusa.com/ps90-accessories/

https://trosusa.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/ps90_aimpoint-mini_acog_comp.jpg

jaflowers
November 15, 2017, 08:52
I've got two of the TROS mounts, one for my mini ACOG and one low picatinny rail. They are both excellent. I use the ACOG on my 16" barrel and my SBR wears a Trijicon Tri-Power. Almost looks like your picture.