PDA

View Full Version : I took a double dose of dummy pills tonite....

law4fun
June 19, 2002, 22:29
This should come as no great surprise to those who either know me personally or have come to "know" me here on the FAL files over the last couple of years.....
I took a double dose of dumb a$$ pills tonite....My LB Izzy had become a single shot after the installation of the CAI HTS. So tonite, I was working on it (installing new FSE HTS) and when I went to function test it, it was still a single shot yet was ejecting the spent case and feeding a new round. Yes, I had put the 3 position Izzy selector in the FA position instead of the SA position.
I had read what would happen if put into FA position, but thought nothing about it when the rifle would not work after installing the new parts. So, I take the lower apart again and inspect the new parts and reassemble the HTS, mashing the end of my R thumb in the process. No blood so the WECSOG Gods did not get an offering tonite, but it hurts none the less.
After reassembly, still doing it. I just happened to put the selector over to safe and it HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS! The Izzy selector is "backwards"....Oh well, I guess I could blame it on the medicine I am taking but the medicine is temporary while goofyness is forever.:cool:
The Izzy LB works famously with the new HTS installed. Of course, it would have worked with the CAI parts installed as well if I had put the selector in the proper position.:rolleyes:

Bruce Allen
June 19, 2002, 23:39
My father used to tell me that we are all entitled to one mistake a day.

I usually try to make mine as early in the day as possible, that way I don't have to worry about when it is going to happen.

FWRA
June 20, 2002, 12:39
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

When I had my Custom Israeli HB built I took it to the range for test firing. Boom. (hand extract) Boom. (hand extract) I tried everything, switched the gas from "funny squiggly Israeli character" to the other and back and forth. Figured...maybe the DSA funky "black" gas piston was the problem so I put in the original. Same deal. Even swapped the FSE fire control parts with the originals to no avail. I adjusted the gas until my fingers were raw from the constant changing.

Finally took it back to my gunsmith and he noticed immediately the full auto (a.k.a. single shot) position of the selector position and asked me if I'd left it there during the test. (common sense would dictate that "full down was full auto!) I felt like an idiot but it was a long time since the last Izzy came through my hands and those Izzy characters are REAL easy to understand! :) (NOT!)

A simple selector change and it worked flawlessly. I painted the "fire" setting red and the "safe" setting green just to make sure I never repeated THAT fiasco again. :(

Trust me, you aren't the only one who's had a dose of the infamous "dumb a$$ pills". I must have a whole medicine chest full!

The Israeli rifles are a rare bird for real and I'm sure we wont be the last ones to shoot 'em single shot! :D

FWRA

law4fun
June 20, 2002, 12:52
Mark,
I just got back from Wally World where I picked up a couple of bottles of testors ...insignia red and white. Guess what is gonna get painted? However, the little squiggly for FA will stay parked and unpainted to remind me of my folly (at least after my right thumb gets feeling back into it and is forgotten :D )
I might have to stop back on the way home and get a little bottle of green. That would be a cool change from the traditional red and white.

FWRA
June 20, 2002, 13:18
Originally posted by law4fun
Mark,
I just got back from Wally World where I picked up a couple of bottles of testors ...insignia red and white. Guess what is gonna get painted? However, the little squiggly for FA will stay parked and unpainted to remind me of my folly (at least after my right thumb gets feeling back into it and is forgotten :D )
I might have to stop back on the way home and get a little bottle of green. That would be a cool change from the traditional red and white.

I painted the "full auto" position "florescent yellow" for "caution".

I bought a Brite Sites set of paints that are super durable and normally used on sights of course but they are nice and bright. (red, green florescent yellow, and super bright white.) Not for the "purist" maybe, but darned effective for the Izzy! :D

Best sight paint I've ever found. (sure beats the nail polish I used to use!)

FWRA