PDA

View Full Version : FN Issues Mandatory Safety Recall of all FN M249S Rifles

FALonious
October 25, 2017, 16:59
http://blog.defenderoutdoors.com/fn-issues-mandatory-safety-recall-of-all-fn-m249s-rifles/?_ke=bG9uZG9nQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=10232017
McLean, VA – October 20, 2017 | FN America, LLC, announces the mandatory safety recall of certain FN M249S® semi-automatic, belt-fed rifles in both standard and PARA configurations. A recently identified design issue within the hammer group of the rifle may adversely affect the rifle’s reliability. Under certain circumstances, a reset failure within the hammer group may cause the M249S to cease to function, causing an unsafe firing event. To correct this condition and restore consistent, proper and safe operation of the firearm, it is necessary to replace the hammer group.

FN is instructing customers to discontinue use of these rifles immediately and return affected products to FN directly for installation of a new hammer group, at no cost.

Thorack
October 26, 2017, 05:56
Well,

I guess if you shelled out that much coin for a 15lb 5.56 semi auto you can probably afford insured shipping both ways. Ouch.

Thorack

gunplumber
October 26, 2017, 08:14
I suspect the real story is

"someone found a way to make it go full auto and we need to block that"

Like I converted an FN 2000 to full auto with a pink pet eraser - and then there's a "safety recall" to modify the trigger packs to prevent a conversion like my own.

01BIRDDOG
October 26, 2017, 09:15

Like I converted an FN 2000 to full auto with a pink pet eraser - and then there's a "safety recall" to modify the trigger packs to prevent a conversion like my own.

I would say you could take this to the bank......I bet the fix will be a dozy.

brunop
October 26, 2017, 09:45

This.

ftierson
October 26, 2017, 10:40
Yup...

Forrest

Combloc
October 26, 2017, 23:30
Mine is going nowhere until I get a lot more information. I too think something stinks.

D.Brown
October 29, 2017, 07:57
It is your property, it is your choice.

SPEEDGUNNER
October 29, 2017, 08:16

My thought exactly...

Combloc
October 29, 2017, 13:55
Some possible evidence to back up that theory:

https://hi-desertdog.com/belt-fed-rifles-machine-guns/belt-fed-spare-parts/auto-conversion-kit-for-the-m249s.html

Kevin S
November 03, 2017, 18:14
Has anyone here shot the 249S much and have you had any full auto issues?

Abominog
November 03, 2017, 18:21

That’s exactly what it says but in lawyer speak.

Combloc
November 05, 2017, 00:20
Has anyone here shot the 249S much and have you had any full auto issues?

Mine has gone 3-4 round burst a few times but I don't know if it's the rifle or me accidentally bump firing it because the trigger is so light.

gunplumber
November 05, 2017, 10:34
Some possible evidence to back up that theory:

https://hi-desertdog.com/belt-fed-rifles-machine-guns/belt-fed-spare-parts/auto-conversion-kit-for-the-m249s.html

That may get me to buy one instead of two more SCAR 16s. Because if the conversion kit can be registered like any other drop-in auto sear, I'd not have to marry it to the host gun. If I tire of it, or give up my license, I still have a semi.

I wish HDD had a better reputation.