PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Q?

Trypcil
October 21, 2017, 22:26
Who made Stainless steel barrels for Fals? I acquired one, no gas hole drilled and no markings at all - I took the chance, and maybe damned because of it!:|

nwobhm
October 22, 2017, 05:01
Badger made some for DSA

Trypcil
October 25, 2017, 04:07
Badger via DSA, I imagine. So presumably 9x16 LHT - anyone ever melonite one of these SS barrels? Perhaps a 'Crocs special' is in the making, if you know what I mean!

jhend170
October 25, 2017, 08:19
Badger via DSA, I imagine. So presumably 9x16 LHT - anyone ever melonite one of these SS barrels? Perhaps a 'Crocs special' is in the making, if you know what I mean!

If you do be sure to have that gas port drilled BEFORE you have it melonited. Drilling melonited material is a real PITA afterwards.

I'd go a step further and do something to break the barrel in (if you care) before the meloniting, either by assembling and shooting it in, or lap it a little. If there are any imperfections in there before the meloniting they will be much more resistant to wearing in after.

Otherwise should make for a nice, long wearing barrel, guaranteed to shoot the nads off a flea at 100 paces with all that "stiffening," but you know, don't talk to actual FAL Neanderthals about that as they won't understand. "Croc" of something indeed...

Shootability
October 25, 2017, 09:08
I had a match grade Ar10 SS barrel nitrided and it shoots even better after the nitride! Well worthwhile as well as easier to clean

raubvogel
October 27, 2017, 08:50
A few years ago I remember some companies would melonite whatever part you wanted if it was not too small and would fit in one basket (ex: barrel(s) with a bolt and a gas block and pistol for good measure). Idea was to maxmize the use of the salt bath. But now they charge per barrel.

Trypcil
October 28, 2017, 13:04
So who are the top ranked Melonite QPQ services providers, that come to mind - the googlies don't seem to come up with much in a search!

https://i.imgur.com/ls0v9PXh.jpg
and
https://i.imgur.com/G7IboyZh.jpg

what about that? ^^^ ?

OLDMANPBK
October 28, 2017, 13:41
Perhaps a 'Crocs special' is in the making, if you know what I mean!
I've had this unmarked, target crowned beastie banging around in my parts bin for a few years. I might try to make a "Croc" out of it this winter.
https://i.imgur.com/MLUZZVql.jpg

Trypcil
October 28, 2017, 14:07
I have a Lithgow nos gas block so I will get the barrel drilled diagonally, as the parts Bin before the barrel, was all mixed Brit and Aussie, and I have a Brit rcvr on the way. I see yours Oldman, appears vertical - an Izzie perhaps?

OLDMANPBK
October 28, 2017, 14:20
I see yours Oldman, appears vertical - an Izzie perhaps?

Yeah, it's set up now for an Izzy HB gas block so I would have to get creative to fit an inch GB to it. But hey, I got all winter to figger it out.

Trypcil
November 05, 2017, 19:56
Who can point me in the right direction, as to a Melonite QPQ service, of repute? The Googles seem cluttered with fluff! - dang it!