PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cylinder retaining pin?

chino*74
October 19, 2017, 20:48
I got the gas regulator nut off & everything else but now I have to remove the gas cylinder / tube. There is a drift pin at the front just proximal to the FSB towards the bottom correct? I cannot drift this pin out to save my life, in fact I only see one side of the pin it looks like the other side was peened into the assembly somehow. I am not seeing how this drift pin will come out, without that I cannot remove the gas cylinder & get this regulator nut removed...

That gas regulator nut screws in about 1/3 onto the tube sleeve then it just goes terminally tight. Probably need another one eventually but first I need to get this gas tube off. Any advice appreciated.

meltblown
October 19, 2017, 21:00
Take a small tack and push it the opposite way with a small hammer. Grind a punch or go to HF if it's a roll pin. It doesn't just fall out and doesn't require an FAL PhD

It's not a drift pin and not tapered. You probably have a punch that is too big.

chino*74
October 19, 2017, 21:10
OK, maybe my smallest punch was a might too big. It didn't look too big but I don't have a FAL PHD & thankfully I don't need one LOL...I will try it as U described. Thnx.

TraFALgar
October 19, 2017, 21:13
The little 5/64" dia. pin through the gas tube on the underside of the threaded part of the gas block? Drive it out with hammer and 1/16" punch.
Another fella had the same problem in this thread:
Gas tube retaining pin won't come off (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386439&highlight=gas+tube+pin)

meltblown
October 19, 2017, 21:13
OK, maybe my smallest punch was a might too big. It didn't look too big but I don't have a FAL PHD & thankfully I don't need one LOL...I will try it as U described. Thnx.

Grind a small nail works too

embatp
October 19, 2017, 21:45
Punch in an AK cleaning kit works well...

chino*74
October 20, 2017, 01:03
Got it. That regulater nut is still super tight cannot hand thread it more then a third way on...I reversed it & it threads all the way so it is the inner collar before the threads or the sleeve on the FSB assembly or both...either way I need to open up the inner diameter with some fine grit & a dowel or my dremel or something.

And need to check if I have an extra roll pin laying around.