PDA

View Full Version : imbel or FN mags

dakdak
October 19, 2017, 16:50
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have a question: Is the importation of new Imbel and/or FN mags prohibited ?

308/223shooter
October 19, 2017, 17:09
Likely yes

raubvogel
October 20, 2017, 04:05
I thought magazines were not in the scary list (yet)

Incognito
October 20, 2017, 08:16
I am no expert but I thought magazines were still OK for importation. I cannot think of any specific laws or rulings regarding magazines since the expiration of the AW ban than I believe banned the manufacture and import of "high capacity" magazines (that held more than 10 rounds). I still see ads for what appears to be new batches of Easter European AK magazines coming in. And I believe a lot of pistol magazines come from Europe. I'm sure you have to be a licensed importer and run through all the government red tape to import them though.

dakdak
October 20, 2017, 16:18
I thought that was probably the situation. Even though the fedgov does not now ban hi-cap magazines a company or a person would need to have a pretty good piece of change and a good law firm, well versed in the BS surrounding the import of the mags, to get them into the county.

I also wonder how much it would cost for the mags, shipping/duty, lawyers and so forth to import at least a thousand at a time.

Cost factors would also include the exchange rates in Brazil and Belgium.
Factory direct would probably be a b***h !

meltblown
October 20, 2017, 16:45
You getting a pallet? I'd look into ITAR and see. My take is that a dozen or so is one thing a dozen gross is another. Your big deal is going to be the harmonization number assigned. That code will give you a clue as to the duties and regulations. There are a shitload already here in the US. I imagine just the guys here have an average of 50 each.

They maybe allowed but shipping and big tariff may negate any benefit

jsparky1983
October 20, 2017, 16:57
...I imagine just the guys here have an average of 50 each.

^^^^^^^^^^ That.

Lee Carpentieri
October 20, 2017, 18:49
I have a few friends that are importers in the defense sector and high cap mags are still allowed. Now the import level tariffs are based upon either wholesale or for your own retailbusiness. The problem right now is with magazines,Especially Fal mags, Where you going to buy them from as 75 countries are still listed as either using or their Fals are in war reserve.

It's not like you can call or e-mail Imbel or FN Herstal and just order up some magazines because they would most likely call Department of State to see if you have a military import license and if you don't, Expect a visit from the DOS and the FBI and BATFE.

PS, Most times if you do have the import licenses, Your talking about a order of at least 100K in USD or Euro's and that's the least amount for openers.

kalashniKEV
October 20, 2017, 19:51
Importing rifle magazines is perfectly legal from any country that's not embargoed.

I think you would have more of a problem getting them exported from Brazil.

I owned the Taurus CT-9 for a while, which is a long barrel/receiver version of the SMT-9 subgun.

It was a fantastic gun for the money, but the mags are (supposedly) not approved to export.

It's probably some sporting/ military use thing, since there is no issue getting mags for anything else Taurus makes.