PDA

View Full Version : Dsarms new barrels vs original fn fal Belgium barrels??

pureveggie
October 19, 2017, 12:12
Hi fal world ! What's your take on buying a new 18 inch dsarms barrel vs finding an original fn fal Belgium or Austrian barrel in 18 inch para configuration ?? If anyone out there has excellent cond orig 18 inch barrels for sale?? I'd be interested in talking thanks fal guy nc pm me here and I will put this search out on the mkt place section today!! Comments welcome please comparing these two barrel options!!

jcornss
October 19, 2017, 20:47
The one and only DSA barreled rifle I've owned produced groups around 8moa.

Capt D
October 21, 2017, 10:03
I know you've posted your WTB ads in the MP already, but I just thought I'd mention I got a VERY good deal on a 17.3" Imbel barrel, which appears to be an original para barrel, for $75 in Gunplumber's 'barrel blowout' ad (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418529&highlight=Barrel+blowout). I say it looks original because the crown appears to be untouched, as opposed to Mark's usual outstanding cut/crown work. The bore is pristine, and the only flaw (which was clearly indicated in the ad) was some pitting on the gas block, with a tiny amount on the barrel itself that is covered by the handguard when installed. YMMV, but just a mention, to possibly find something much cheaper than the $400+ you'll likely pay for an original Belgian parts barrel... Happy hunting :fal:

gunplumber
October 21, 2017, 10:19
Plus, DSA has a long history of knowingly selling defective parts. * of which their barrels were among the most egregious. It's The Chicago Way. So how can you possibly trust them?

I have not noticed anything particularly good or bad about DSA barrel accuracy. The issue would be getting one that timed correctly. And had the extractor cut correct so it didn't shave brass.

I would certainly take a used IMBEL over a new DSA, any day, providing the IMBEL was in good condition.

Belgium barrels, in my experience, are nothing exciting either. I would take an IMBEL barrel over an FN barrel in the same condition, every time. It is rare to find an FN barrel that will shoot half as well as an IMBEL. And that's not just because I have IMBEL barrel groups for sale. I sold all my Belgium rifles and bought SAR48s, because the writing on the receiver wasn't worth doubling the price and reducing the accuracy.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419724

*Yeah Dave, you whiny little bitch, did you think threats from your lawyer were going to shut me up? F-ck you! Truth is always an affirmative defense and I have hundreds of pages of truth! You have knowingly sold defective parts for years, and potential customers deserve to know what a piece of shit you are, before spending their hard-earned money.

lockjaw
October 21, 2017, 15:36
Austrian barrels have proven to be among the best shooters in my experience.

I will not touch an Argentine barrel unless it was factor built to the upper. I have been burnt by not one, but two out of spec. Argentine barrels (bore was not concentric). My fault for setting myself up for failure the second time.

Also a lesson hard learned, when buying a barrel (or rifle for that matter), request to see the muzzle with the flash hider removed. I have seen some nasty surprised under those STG58 and Imbel devices!

plinker
October 21, 2017, 17:28
I will not touch an Argentine barrel unless it was factor built to the upper.

I must have got a good one. I bought it new from DSA around '03 IIRC. Shoots pretty well.

Belgium barrels, in my experience, are nothing exciting either. I would take an IMBEL barrel over an FN barrel in the same condition, every time. It is rare to find an FN barrel that will shoot half as well as an IMBEL

What do you think makes Imbel barrels more accurate? Difference in manufacturing?

lockjaw
October 21, 2017, 18:38
I must have got a good one. I bought it new from DSA around '03 IIRC.

The majority of Argentine barrels are fine. I simply had bad luck, and made someone else lucky as they were able to dump their junk off on some other sucker. I turned down one of the Argy barrels down to a carbine and it turned out alright. The other is buried away in the basement somewhere. I don't believe in dumping my bad luck off on someone else.

ftierson
October 21, 2017, 19:39
The majority of Argentine barrels are fine. I simply had bad luck, and made someone else lucky as they were able to dump their junk off on some other sucker. I turned down one of the Argy barrels down to a carbine and it turned out alright. The other is buried away in the basement somewhere. I don't believe in dumping my bad luck off on someone else.

I have two rifles that I assembled with new Argentine open-eared gasblock, biped cut barrels that are great rifles. I picked up one barrel from a member here and I don't remember where I picked up the other (but it was several years before I used it to build the rifle).

I also bought one from Sarco a few years later than the two previously mentioned that was absolute junk. It was a new barrel that had a completely screwed up chamber (gouges and whatall) that the manufacturer had just chromed over. I sent that one back for a refund...

Assuming new barrels, my first choice would be Austrian StG, then Imbel...

If I could examine the barrels before buying, the Argentine ones would be fairly near the top of my purchase list. If I couldn't examine before buying, the Argentine barrels would be near the bottom of my list (too many reports of defective, junk reject barrels being dumped on the market) unless it was from someone whose judgment on such things I trusted.

Forrest

Thorack
October 21, 2017, 20:11
Well,

My opinion is that the hammer forged Lithgow Black Mountain Match Barrels are hands down the best. Made for match rifles with chromed chambers. Have had several new out of the box.

Thorack

gunplumber
October 22, 2017, 09:39
I have no idea why all my factory FNs - and I've probably owned 20 over the years - could not shoot as well as my SAR-48s. I also do not know why people hold some strange spiritual value to "made by FN". They are not the cat's meow. Just look at the rivets on an FN, IMBEL, and Austrian lower - FN has the worst finishing of the three by far! For accuracy - my experience is the Steyer barels are best followed by IMBEL, then FN. Izzy usually the worst.

Argy barrels are hit or miss. Remember the Argy kits that Jerry at Recon originally sold, and that other dude was flogging here? He had never seen the kits, wasn't even in possession of them - was just having Jerry drop ship them and taking a cut. Remember they originally had no barrels because of the Republicans banning them, and then suddenly Sarco and Recon Ord both had barrels?

I thin Argentina rejected a bunch of barrels and these ended up here with no notice that they were defective. They came in without gas blocks, which I know because I have had them from SARCO with the gas blocks improperly installed, and even one with two gas ports(!). So maybe removing the gas blocks converted them to "sporting purposes" and got around the Republican's import ban. In any case, I have had a high percentage of these barrels, when shortened to para length, the ID and OD were not concentric. I don't have metrics but I'd guess from memory about 1-50 IMBELs and 1-3 Argy barrels.

Full length, they shoot fine but no better or worse than IMBEL, so I generally avoid them as not worth the risk.

enbloc8
October 22, 2017, 19:24
Is it possible that the civilian "sporter" FNs were made with leftover and/or "not the best" parts from their regular contracts?

enbloc8
October 22, 2017, 19:26
Well,

My opinion is that the hammer forged Lithgow Black Mountain Match Barrels are hands down the best. Made for match rifles with chromed chambers. Have had several new out of the box.

Thorack

Any idea how they compare against the DEZ Arms L1A1 barrels?

Thorack
October 22, 2017, 20:06
Well,

Lithgow Black Mountain are hammer forged and have a chrome lined chamber, DEZ Arms do not, but DEZ Arms have been magnetic particle inspected. The Lithgow Black Mountain barrels go for twice what DEZ Arms barrels go for.

Thorack

Lee Carpentieri
October 23, 2017, 12:15
Black Mountain barrels have a 6 groove barrel Vs the standard Aussie 4 groove barrels.

pureveggie
October 23, 2017, 21:59
Thanks so much to all the fn awesome dudes out there with so much wisdom and knowledge and integrity abt fals and willing and openly avail to share that knowledge and wisdom freely with beginner students such as myself!! I'm learning so much from all you guys!! Thanks again for sharing the knowledge and for keeping it real!! I'm getting quite an education recently on barrels and learning that there's lots to know and to choose more wisely and to work smarter not harder!! Thanks guys!!! Blessings fal guy nc

Impala_Guy
October 24, 2017, 11:23
Unknown fal barrels are a crapshoot. I had ARS assemble a 50.00 on an LMT type 1 receiver using a Sarco barrel with no markings. Supposedly these were Argentine overruns but who knows. It will shoot sub 2" groups repeatedly with Hirt and Lake City. Yes, I've since painted the stock ferrule and buttplate:

https://i.imgur.com/VJk8CRs.jpg

4markk
October 24, 2017, 11:56
By far my best shooter is an Austrian replacement barrel on an Armscorp receiver.

Oddly, it is also my most consistent. Even when I am having a bad day on other rifles when I pick that one up I can drive tacks. So either it is blessed (which could explain why evil quakes, a light shines and I hear trumpets when I pull it out) or because it is my favorite child and when I pick it up the cloud of uncertainty dissipates (however, I'm not sure that explains those other things).

enbloc8
October 24, 2017, 14:40
Unknown fal barrels are a crapshoot. I had ARS assemble a 50.00 on an LMT type 1 receiver using a Sarco barrel with no markings. Supposedly these were Argentine overruns but who knows. It will shoot sub 2" groups repeatedly with Hirt and Lake City. Yes, I've since painted the stock ferrule and buttplate:

https://i.imgur.com/VJk8CRs.jpg

That actually looked kinda sharp!