PDA

View Full Version : First FAL! Graciously taking info/help

BravoWhiskey13
October 19, 2017, 11:38
Hey all! So I picked up a unmatched #s Rhodesian parts kit at a gun show with an extra barrel for $450. Paint is still intact on the complete lower, and top cover. Handguard is metal, bipod cut. No biggie.

I was looking for a receiver to build a Rhodie clone, but I'm in the home stretch of moving and couldn't find the time. So I went to another show, and picked up a beautiful low number DSA G1 (SN: G00042) for 1300, and came with 5 mags. It was a safe queen with absolutely no wear.

I've been searching the threads on here (albeit I'm no Sherlock Holmes) and I was wondering if it's okay to fire .308 out of my G1 being that the receiver is stamped 7.62x51. BEFORE ANYONE JUMPS TO THEIR KEYBOARDS, I've read the threads on why you shouldn't due to headspacing and pressure and the like, but if I remember reading somewhere that DSA uses .308 guages. So theoretically it should it eat both, right? I've never seen them in the same thread debating eachother though.

Also, does anyone know how to get the flash hider off? Again, I've read up, but I'm not 100% sure on what type of barrel I may have being that its a low SN gun. I don't see a seam between the barrel and the FH, but if I shine a light in the barrel, it appears that the rifling stops as if it had a FH. But I remember reading that some DSA G1s had faux hiders that were actually a part of the barrel.

Feel free to call me out if my questions have been answered, and please link me to them. As I said, I'm not that good with investigating.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me, and if it's easier to chat over PM/email, let me know!

pistolero1911
October 19, 2017, 12:20
First of all, welcome to Falfiles. There is a wealth of FAL information here unlike anywhere else. I would contact DSA directly and get their information on your rifle.

Many DSAs were sold as receivers only and then built by others on parts kits, while some may be DSA factory built. If factory built they could tell you when, and possibly how the FH is attached.

Regarding your Rhodie, if you want a Coonan R1 receiver with a custom serial number to match your lower's number you have to move fast. As of 2018 Coonan will no longer by offering R1 receivers nor custom serial numbers.

1911Ron
October 19, 2017, 12:58
Yes you can, just don't shoot steel cased ammo and yes if you want an R1 upper get one from Coonan fast.

J. Armstrong
October 19, 2017, 17:06
As 1911ron said, .308 is fine, steel case is abad idea. IMHO the FAL is not at its best with heavy bullet .308 loads.

Every G1 I've seen had a visible "seam" or slight gap between the FH and the barrel, so it may well be that you have an integral FH. Not familiar with how DSA did them. My guess would be that they simply silver soldered the standar FH to the barrel - if so it could be removed with a MAPP torch but then you'd want to refish the barrel.:mad:

The original, removable FH isn't the best set up, and it's best not to use it asit tends to batter the muzzle crown over time. Also the locking spring tends to scratch the hell out of the barrel - I used to use a thin screwdriver to pry the spring out enough to clear the barrel to avoid this - it also made removal easier.If it has the permanent DSA hider, I'd leave it - you get the benefit of the very effective FH without the jiggery-pokery of the original setup.

BravoWhiskey13
October 19, 2017, 17:25
As 1911ron said, .308 is fine, steel case is abad idea. IMHO the FAL is not at its best with heavy bullet .308 loads.

Every G1 I've seen had a visible "seam" or slight gap between the FH and the barrel, so it may well be that you have an integral FH. Not familiar with how DSA did them. My guess would be that they simply silver soldered the standar FH to the barrel - if so it could be removed with a MAPP torch but then you'd want to refish the barrel.:mad:

The original, removable FH isn't the best set up, and it's best not to use it asit tends to batter the muzzle crown over time. Also the locking spring tends to scratch the hell out of the barrel - I used to use a thin screwdriver to pry the spring out enough to clear the barrel to avoid this - it also made removal easier.If it has the permanent DSA hider, I'd leave it - you get the benefit of the very effective FH without the jiggery-pokery of the original setup.

Thanks for the info! It's weird because my FH doesn't have cutouts. They're cut in a little, but it's not all the way through If that makes any sense... I wouldn't want the QD FH anyway, threaded is the way to go.

J. Armstrong
October 19, 2017, 17:43
Bingo !!! DSA preban.

BravoWhiskey13
October 19, 2017, 18:06
Bingo !!! DSA preban.

And what exactly does that mean?

01BIRDDOG
October 19, 2017, 18:49
Welcome aboard and post some pic of the Rhodie when you get it finished.

J. Armstrong
October 19, 2017, 18:53
What you have from your description is a "fake" FH which would have been used during the ban period. . Now, someone assembling a "kit" gun on a DSA receiver is possible, but most of us would probably have simply left the FH off. Also, there were relatively few G1 marked receivers sold seperately. I'm thinking it is most likely, then, a DSA built rifle from the ban era. In any event, that means the FH was either machined as one piece with the barrel ( which does not match up to your description ) or it is a "fake" or nonfunctional one that was silversoldered to the barrel. I should mention that I have little firsthand exposure to those G1 DSAs, so someone with more experience will jump in to correct me or add more info. In any event, it would appear that you have a very nice FAL there - if you get a chance to take some pix, we'd all love to see her, and it may help in getting an exact answer to any questions.

You can contact DSA and they can confirm whether it is a production rifle or the receiver was sold by itself.

Now, if it is a kit build, that's not a problem. Most any decent kit gun is actually as good as - more likely, better than - a current DSA built rifle. Shoot it and let us know how it flies - problems are unlikely but if there are any, they here.can almost certainly be addressed with the help of the board, Most likely she'll be fine from the git go.

And ----- Welcome aboard !!