PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question About Franken FAL Value

diger440
October 17, 2017, 23:46
A couple years ago I built a FrankenFAL, now I want to part ways with it for a new project (Semi Bren or RPD). I have never been "into" collecting FAL's. I built this one just based on what I thought "My FAL" should be. Really I am just a weirdo who likes researching guns and the challenge of building rifles other than ARs and AKs (although I like those also, there is just no challenge)

I am very humbly seeking opinions from those in the know theses rifles, what would be a fair price to ask? I am not looking to cut a fat hog I just really dont have a value because I paid for parts when they were available and supplied elbow grease.

With that said here are the details

G-1 kit from Sarco (all the furniture less the sling and PG was sold off)

Coonan Type 3 receiver (custom serial to the lower)

New chrome lined Argentine barrel from Sarco

Passed all Go/No Go/ Field gauge tests with the factory locking shoulder

Stoll type brake (not a flash suppressor)

New Israeli HB stock and handguard (correct gas tube spacers for the light barrel). The buttplate is a HB minus the hinged piece.

Ironwood (I think) Birch grip (only 3 applications of Tung oil in the photo, it has gotten better with age)

DSA extended selector (factory grip and selector still present in addition to other small factory parts)

6 or 8 milsurp mags (varying MFG, the only one I know is Steyr w/ witness holes )

1977 SUIT Trilux and top cover and one of those super crappy LED illuminators from the late 1990s (got it off gunbroker as an assembly) I bought a new tritium holder and a tritium vial (I never got quite so far as to mount the vial into the holder)

I didnt refinish the small pieces E.G. cocking handle, front sling swivel, gas block and gas valve (it is a closed ear type) and I never paid to have the HB stock inletted for the G1 sling swivel nor have I bought a HB swivel. So the small parts are representative of the wear and patina of a G1 by-way of Turkey.

Exactly 10 rounds fired with South African surplus

I am not advertising, really I am begging for knowledge and educated opinions.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/447/y4bG7E.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1296/cGuQ7z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1052/kbDrXR.jpg

WESOMATIC
December 14, 2017, 08:33
I think the general rule is the value of the sum of the parts.
That said, I would expect that to be a parted out price.

def90
December 14, 2017, 08:38
Worth more parted out than as a whole rifle. Sell the SUIT scope and top cover separately as you will get more money that way. I would say $600-700 tops for rifle as a whole minus scope. Your elbow grease has no value when selling a parts kit rifle.

WESOMATIC
December 14, 2017, 11:16
While we're talking prices, what's an Argentine made receiver worth?

def90
December 14, 2017, 11:17
I think argentine receivers sell in the 5-600 range.

WESOMATIC
December 14, 2017, 11:30
I've got one on an L1a1 that I'm going to replace with an inch cut imbel.
Trying to decide if it's blasphemy to build an Imbel kit on it or trade it for a GL

MAINER
December 15, 2017, 10:18
I've got one on an L1a1 that I'm going to replace with an inch cut imbel.
Trying to decide if it's blasphemy to build an Imbel kit on it or trade it for a GL

Righteous FAL with an Imbel kit on the Argy and a couple years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but these days of few kits and nearly no genuine receivers, I'd go for the whole hog, Imbel/Imbel.

Actually, I did just that on my last and final FAL.........really, I'm serious this time. :facepalm:

My two cents worth, for what it's worth.

meltblown
December 15, 2017, 10:42
While we're talking prices, what's an Argentine made receiver worth?

Depends. If someone is building a NOS Argy kit, they can get up around $700 with no CAI import stamps.