PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Pre-ban Palmetto Armory lowers

VALMET
October 17, 2017, 20:40
Any of you gents familiar with the timeframe and # of AR lowers mfg’d by Palmetto Armory (NOT Palmetto state Armory)? IIRC they were one of the first AR manufacturers outside of Colt to mfg receivers. Thanks in advance

SAFN49
October 17, 2017, 23:07
Any of you gents familiar with the timeframe and # of AR lowers mfg’d by Palmetto Armory (NOT Palmetto state Armory)? IIRC they were one of the first AR manufacturers outside of Colt to mfg receivers. Thanks in advance

Back in the day, pre ban, I remember Colt, Bushmaster, and Oly Arms. I don't remember Palmetto. There were a few guys doing low volume AR receivers back then. So anything is possible.

Andy the Aussie
October 17, 2017, 23:53
I saw one out here that dated to the very early 80s, Early A1 profile, dual pushpins with a partial fence on the magazine release. I have some notes on the markings as it was something very unusual for out here (we mostly saw SP1s only).

tdb59
October 17, 2017, 23:58

Palmetto Armory receivers were made by Olympic Arms and often also marked as SGW ( trade name of "Schuetzen Gun Works”) from 79-82 or so.

Tuscan Raider
October 18, 2017, 00:36
Palmetto Armory receivers were made by Olympic Arms and often also marked as SGW ( trade name of "Schuetzen Gun Works”) from 79-82 or so.

The "Stop Sign" lowers.

hueyville
October 18, 2017, 08:50
I have a preban Palmetto lower built AR. It is not associated with Palmetto State Armory and was purchased used FTF in 1981. Was on a rifle that had delta ring installed backwards, a 1:12 twist Colt barrel cut to 14" and didn't run reliably as front site tower was misaligned. Paid $75 for it and later fixed it. It's a fun little rifle with A1 Colt upper now.

gew98
October 18, 2017, 18:33
Back in the day, pre ban, I remember Colt, Bushmaster, and Oly Arms. I don't remember Palmetto. There were a few guys doing low volume AR receivers back then. So anything is possible.

Dont forget SENDRA corp.I had one back in '85 and lost it in 2015 in a fire.

SAFN49
October 18, 2017, 18:47

Yes, I had a SGW that had a registered DIAS back in the day. It ran fine.

SAFN49
October 18, 2017, 18:48
Dont forget SENDRA corp.I had one back in '85 and lost it in 2015 in a fire.

I remember Sendra now that you mention it. Some of those were also converted to RR's.

hueyville
October 19, 2017, 09:50
My preban Palmetto has logo, serial number and all other information "hand engraved" using an electric pencil or Dremel tool with engraving bit. Looks labor intensive but guess back in the day used what you had. It's covered with machining marks but functions perfectly since replaced barrel and reassembled to specifications. Recently dropped a Palmetto State Armory nickle boron bolt carrier with HPT/MPI shot peened Carpenter 158 bolt as had mystery bolt with a gazillion rounds.

lockjaw
October 20, 2017, 16:39
Ha ha... the early examples were machined from a block rather than forged. They were some ugly suckers for sure, but they did the job.

Another nice pre-ban lower were the earlier Eagle Arms. I put them on par with the stop sign receivers. Sendras are nice, but I have seen some examples with spotty finishes.

tac-40
October 20, 2017, 18:18
You guys forgot PWA. That was my first AR and I still have it. Working on its thrid barrel since the first 2 were shot out. The first one was a 24" stainles 1 in 12 twist that was a smooth bore when I swapped it out. Every round out of the muzzle made a neat buzzing sound but could hit anything outside 25 yards.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/501/medium/PWAAR15_001.jpg

VALMET
October 20, 2017, 18:30
Thank you for the info gentlemen. I'd like to find one of these Palmetto lowers.

SAFN49
October 20, 2017, 18:36
There was one of the companies that were doing cast receivers back too. I don't remember the name but they were ugly and looked like the junk they were.

lockjaw
October 20, 2017, 19:07
You guys forgot PWA. That was my first AR and I still have it. Working on its thrid barrel since the first 2 were shot out. The first one was a 24" stainles 1 in 12 twist that was a smooth bore when I swapped it out. Every round out of the muzzle made a neat buzzing sound but could hit anything outside 25 yards.

Yep, gogtta' love the PWA Commandos:

Sgt_Gold
November 16, 2017, 12:35
Thank you for the info gentlemen. I'd like to find one of these Palmetto lowers.

You want to find one marked Palmetto or SGW?

Ductapeman
November 16, 2017, 15:44
The Olympic Arms/SGW lowers were made for Palmetto Arms, a different company from Palmetto State Arms. They were cut from bar stock, and some of them look pretty crude by modern comparison, but they worked. PSA didn't come along until the Ban had ended, I believe.

VALMET
November 16, 2017, 16:46
You want to find one marked Palmetto or SGW?

Palmetto.

ratas calientes
November 17, 2017, 01:06
Gotta love PWAs. I have a few of those pre-bans. :D

medicmike
November 17, 2017, 01:11

My first 3 or 4 AR's were PWAs...don't have any of them anymore though....