PDA

View Full Version : rear sight loose....

G1user
June 19, 2002, 16:51
Need your advice/opinion.
Got a metric G1 FAL with regular sights, and the rear one is a little loose on the ramp/slide rail--it can be wiggled around even when it is locked in a notch.
I would like to fix this just to eliminate a variable, and given the situation, is it better to squeeze it in a vise to bend it; shim it; replace it, or other?

mountain man
June 19, 2002, 16:55
I squeezed mine gently in the vise and it stopped the lateral wobble. I'm thinking of maybe drilling a little hole and installing a ball detent to stop the vertical wobble.

Snakeshot
June 19, 2002, 17:25
Do a search and check recent posts- MUCHO info.:)

G1user
June 20, 2002, 14:27
I looked thru the archives, and people seem to have trouble with lateral (left to right) rear sight wiggle.

My rear sight on the other hand is very solid left to right, but it does have a good bit of wiggle in rotation--that is, it swivels a bit front to back, in effect raising and dipping for about a half a millimieter in height.
This obviously changes the elevation in sighting.

It doesn't appear damaged, just a wide tolerance (gap) in the rails.

I figure shimming is the best solution.
Any other suggestions for remedy?

W.E.G.
June 20, 2002, 16:14
Ed Vanden Berg's solution.

Viking Warrior
June 20, 2002, 19:09
Gary, Is that Glitter on the stock?

;)

Antares
June 20, 2002, 19:35
Originally posted by Viking Warrior
Gary, Is that Glitter on the stock?

;)

Thats what I was gonna say ....

Is the handguard wrapped in purple velvet?

Brian S
June 20, 2002, 20:51
Don't you all know that the sight is supposed to be like that? It builds in some deflection at long ranges!!!

Viking Warrior
June 20, 2002, 23:55
After Liberace died there was rumor somebody had his FAL...
Hmmmm. Looks like Gary has found it.:D

Vanden Berg
June 21, 2002, 10:33
HA...HA...Very funny...."Liberace's rifle", "purple velvet", I get it.

Actually, the finish on the furniture of that rifle is FlexStone. With all the craze about UrbanCamo, I would think that y'all would find it at least interesting. It yields a pretty tough, totally non-slip surface, and it holds up pretty well to solvents and oil.

When I put that rifle out on the table at gun shows, it gets the most attention and is handled more than any other piece displayed, so laugh all you want. I'm laughing too......all the way to the bank.

W.E.G.
June 21, 2002, 12:24
It was kinda funny. (the Liberace thing...)

Anyhow, here's the rifle.

Antares
June 21, 2002, 12:47
Hmmm that gives me an idea to cover my furniture in asphalt ... the ultimate urban camo!

vegeta
June 22, 2002, 09:01
just drop the rifle in wet cement you'll get the same effect hahaha.
or glue some roofing on the thing and call it rooftop sniper camo!
hehe I got it rub that chia-pet goop on it and after it grows foliage it could be called jungle or golf course cammo.

Vanden Berg
June 22, 2002, 09:56
I see how it is. You guys are killin' me. You can build a million guns and nobody will call you a gunsmith.....screw one goat and right away it's..........

vegeta
June 22, 2002, 15:24
hey the rifle looks fine man! I was just picking at you no biggie.
hell I havent even built mine yet so when I finish it I might catch flack too hehe. I hope I didn't hurt yer feelings or nuthin, like I said I was just razzing you a little.

Vanden Berg
June 23, 2002, 09:25
Vegeta, Absolutely....all of the comments were taken in that spirit. How egotistical would we be if we couldn't laugh at ourselves?:D

Snakeshot
June 23, 2002, 09:43
Hey Vanden Berg,

I'm gonna help vegeta work on his rifle today- any special requests? :D

Antares
June 23, 2002, 10:51
The stone actually looks good!

Im startin to seriously think about the chia-fal tho ...

colt88
June 23, 2002, 17:00
Would like to see some close ups of that sight & some info. Would also like some more on the stocks. Are they as rouff as they look? What does it do to your cheek when firing? I really like it

By the way check and see if you have the "s" shaped spring under the sight.

Jen
June 24, 2002, 01:12
Hey Gary!!!

I Fondled your Gun :D

The paint is actually a black/white/gray splatter on the furniture folks, it's not Velvet or Glitter, just looks odd in the pictures but looks pretty neat in person :)

Jen
June 24, 2002, 01:53
For those asking about the A2 Rear Sight on Gary's gun..

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42391

Vanden Berg
June 24, 2002, 14:32
Wow Gary, I've been driving around with YOUR rifle behind the seat of my truck for over a year.....and I didn't even know it (that it was yours).

COLT88, The texture is a little more coarse than bedliner paint, but certainly not too rough to get a good cheek-weld on the buttstock. The "S" spring is retained, but not really functional. Once the rifle has been zeroed and the OE windage screws tightened, all windage adjustments can be made with the A-2 windage knob.