PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why I bought it

Retired Bum
October 16, 2017, 17:06
In Jan 1984 the new .32 H&R Magnum cartridge was introduced. H&R made several different revolver models for it and Federal Cartridge offered two factory loads. A 95 grain LSWC rated at 1030 fps and a 85 grain JHP rated at 1100 fps. The released performance date stated that these velocities were from a 4.5 inch barrel. What was not released was that velocities were taken from a 4.5 inch pressure barrel without a barrel cylinder gap. Actual velocity from a revolver 4.5 inch barrel would be somewhat slower.....

I was intrigued by the new round because I saw it as an improvement over the two .32 revolver rounds I hand loaded. The .32 S&W Long and the old .32-20 Winchester. But there was no way I was going to buy one of those crappy ductile iron framed H&R revolvers. Charter Arms announced that they were offering their little Undercover with a six shot cylinder in .32 Magnum. No thanks said I. Then finally Ruger announced that the Single Six Magnum aka SSM would be available later in the year. So I ordered a 6.5 inch model and then went to work putting together everything that I would need to complete the package.

An aftermarket trigger return spring. A replacement set of grips. I bought every box of the Federal ammo I could find. Bought two bullet molds. One RCBS two cavity for the 98 grain button nose wadcutter and one SAECO for the 100 grain SWC. Bought a set of the new Hornady Nitride handloading dies and shell holder. Finally in November the Ruger SSM arrived and I was ready to get down to business. I shot up all of the factory ammo in order to have brass for hand loading. Cast up several hundreds of both bullet designs. Then worked up my own hand loading data based on the data available for the .32 S&W Long.

The Ruger and my handloads shot like a dream. I mounted the SSM in my Ransom Rest and got 1.25 inch groups for ten shots at 25 yards with the LSWC load. A hair better with the WC load. I put somewhere between 2500 to 3000 rounds through the SSM by the summer of 1985. Then I moved on to other projects....

So today I went to my club range with the SSM and 200 rounds of ammo. I had forgotten what a sweet shooting revolver it was. My first .32 Magnum but not my last. I have three others. Another Ruger. The "Buckeye Special" Blackhawk Convertible with two cylinders in .32-20 and .32 Magnum. Two S&W's. A Model 16-4 six inch K frame and the four inch Model 631 J frame. I like all of them but I have to admit that I like that SSM the best.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

SPEEDGUNNER
October 16, 2017, 17:14
You would like one for sure...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/537006-wts-16-4-4-inch-original-box.html

TenTea
October 16, 2017, 20:02
I handloaded for 2 Ruger SSM back in the 90's.
I did not cast bullets like I do now.
I think I used Hornady XTP's.
I thought the H&R mag was a sweet shooter and an accurate cartridge to boot.
Remember shooting the 32 S&W / short / long too.
No longer own them...one was a 6 1/2" and the other 4 5/8"
Glad you are enjoying yours again.

Retired Bum
October 16, 2017, 20:15
SPEEDGUNNER,

$1300 for that used four inch 16-4 with box but no papers or tools.....

I honestly don't know if that is a fair price or not. I know that there is no way I would pay that money for it. But then I don't want it either.

My six inch 16-4 was bought NIB by me and I still have the box and tools and manual. Still looks LNIB but I have put at least 1000 rounds through it over the years. One of these days I will probably put it on consignment sale at a local dealer I have done business with. I will have to think what kind of price to put on it. Probably around $1100-1200 minus the shop's commission. But that is just a guess at this point.

The real jewel is the four inch Model 631 Kit Gun. It was only made in 1990 and only 5000 were produced. I got mine NIB for $500 plus tax. I could probably double my money if I ever sell it.

And so it goes.

The Retired One