PDA

View Full Version : Sten Kits

Blood of Tyrants
June 19, 2002, 16:45
I need info on Sten guns. Is it possible to build a semi-auto gun out of a Sten kit?

If so, is it a WESCOG adventure or better left to a machinists with the proper tools?

Is a semi-auto receiver or tube available?

FALPhil
June 19, 2002, 16:58
Catco used to sell semi-auto Sten kits, but they are sold out now. :p

cushe
June 19, 2002, 17:17
also try jeffshooter@mindspring.com,they're in shot gun news.receiver tubes 39.00 ea.keep me posted.john

droog
June 19, 2002, 19:15
You need a different bolt,different trigger group longer barrel or extention and probably something else that I cant remember right now.:D

kotengu
June 19, 2002, 22:18
There's a guy off the Yahoo Sten groups that has designed a semi-auto kit for the MkIII Stens and is just awaiting BATF approval before selling them. I've seen him post here under the name "vicg" but I don't know how often he checks in.

It WILL take some welding and machining, so it's a little more than a WECSOG project unless you want to explore the "car battery with jumper cables and penny" welding technique along with the Dremeling of a receiver tube......

For the price of the kits and the magazines though it sure seems silly not to buy one. Maybe someday I can do SOMETHING with it (I keep telling myself that anyway......).

7.62FMJ
June 19, 2002, 23:26
When I used to be into Jeeps I met a guy that had a car battery but used some welding rod attached to the battery cables for trail welds. It worked like a tig welder but not sure of the set-up. I know it was a cheap set-up and pretty cool. He got the idea from Petersons 4 Wheel drive.
As far as the sten kit I imagine you could use a fake can for barrel length- the internals I am not sure of.

blackbird
June 20, 2002, 00:20
Originally posted by cushe
also try jeffshooter@mindspring.com,they're in shot gun news.receiver tubes 39.00 ea.keep me posted.john

This is not a semi-auto kit. It takes a lot more than a tube for a semi-auto (try receiver, bolt, recoil springs, trigger group, longer barrel or extention, etc. etc.)...

...and if you own 1) a parts kit 2) a proper size tube and 3) plans or a template (the JeffShooter tubes are #2 AND 3 if they have the bonded template), the ATF can put you away for a long time, even if you don't assemble them. Don't take a chance! Yes, it has happened it is not theory.

buckaroo
June 20, 2002, 13:20
The ATF can't do anything except investigate a possible infraction. Only a federal court can "put you away for a long time." Yes, I know they're all in cahoots, but some of you on this board have brought paranoia and stupidity to great new heights.

sf46
June 20, 2002, 13:31
It seems that someone could make a lot of money selling semi-auto STen kits or guns.

Pyropuppy
June 20, 2002, 19:27
Call Phill Reuman
at Florida Ammo Traders he is a class 2 builder
he can help you out with the semi auto sten
and just about any thing elce you need.
813-806-1958
mon-thur 11-7
phil@floridaammotraders.com
:cool:

blackbird
June 22, 2002, 00:28
Originally posted by buckaroo
The ATF can't do anything except investigate a possible infraction. Only a federal court can "put you away for a long time." Yes, I know they're all in cahoots, but some of you on this board have brought paranoia and stupidity to great new heights.

Buckaroo, there is no need to get personal with your posts.

A lot of people are putting themselves at risk by purchasing parts kits and one of the tubes with the bonded templates. I would venture a guess that most do it unknowingly!

ATF has obtained convictions on exactly this set of circumstances despite the obvious amount of work required to transform this into a working firearm. No, they are not going to come looking under most circumstances, but piss off your wife/girlfriend enough to call the cops and you may just have a surprise on your hands. Last conviction I heard of was a fellow who had this combination of parts when the police came on a domestic dispute. These are usually "add on" charges but charges nonetheless.

Cautious is not paranoid... as for the "stupidity" part, that was uncalled for.

Pyropuppy: I believe FAT is going to be the sole distributor of Vic Grechniw's semi-auto Mk.III kit WHEN and IF it gets ATF approval. His approach includes a different size tube that the the user must finish and will not require an FFL transfer. Details (scant) at www.semiautosten.com and in the Sten group on Yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sten9mm/).

SF46: Outside of the kit for Mk.III mentioned above, CATCO used to sell a kit for Mk.II's and I have heard some finished guns as well. The conversion was somewhat troublesome (jams) and inaccurate (it is a Sten, after all). They are out of kits at this time and there is no indication they plan on making any more (didn't exactly "set the world on fire"). I believe they chose the Mk.II variant because of the removable barrel and rotatable magwell/dustcover feature. The CATCO semi-auto kit was $259 and included a finished new receiver which required transfer to an FFL. It also included a two part new bolt, recoil springs and guides, striker, etc. (lots of stuff to make it a closed bolt). Mk.II parts kits are significantly more expensive than Mk.III's at this point in time. ( http://www.catco.net/eshowcase/listings/52.html )

Keep in mind that a semi-auto STEN is going to require a lengthened barrel (16" min) or be registered as a Short Barrelled Rifle (SBR under 1934 NFA). This makes most non-NFA semi-auto STENs look a little "odd"... kinda like InterOrdnance's semi-auto PPSh with the barrel sticking way beyond the shroud (yech!).

Pyropuppy
June 22, 2002, 07:02
Blackbird
good post
I did not know the details about the sten semi auto kit from from phill he just mentioned it to me the other day when I was in ordering my first FAL .
I try to mention Phill when I can he gave me the LOW ball price on my gun.
I almost felt guilty I need guys like phill to stay in business so I can support my addiction I mean hobby.

All that and he is a super nice guy to sit and talk guns with.
He is realy into class 3 stuff.

falup
June 22, 2002, 18:43
having asked the question to knowledgeable persons the answer was"Almost all charges are brought about by domestic disputes.
That includes almost all convictions." in fact if they are looking at you they will do background checks &actually contact former girlfriends&roomates.This has been the most successfull avenue
&has become routine.

buckaroo
June 22, 2002, 19:39
Originally posted by blackbird

Cautious is not paranoid... as for the "stupidity" part, that was uncalled for.

I didn't mean you, I had been reading other threads and was annoyed by two things:

1) The number of people on gun boards who are wannabe ATF agents and get off on warning people and probably would enjoy hearing about their arrest for some minor technical violation of the stupidest set of laws ever written. These fools are like force multipliers for what is really a very small agency. Every time someone posts a pic of a rifle there's always that one guy asking "Is that a flash-hider, hint-hint?" Or maybe "that telestock is a no-no on a postban, hint-hint?"

2) You're absolutely right--their investigative abilities are worse than the FBI's. They rely on informants and disgruntled family members. This is today's America, where the state is more important than one's own family and people think it's okay to be as vindictive and treacherous as they can with no downside. Check out the book "Snitch Culture" for some good info on this.

There's always someone who thinks they can survive tyranny if they just act docile and cooperate enough.

As far as the semi-auto sten, check out: http://www.semiautosten.com.

They don't have JBT approval yet, but maybe they will soon.