PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise please from the 1911 gurus

Invictus77
October 15, 2017, 20:19
The 1911 I shot in B17's vintage match has historically shot flawlessly for three plus decades I have had it. Recently I thought I had a bad mag not feeding correctly and pulled the mag out of rotation, but did not really give it too much thought.

During the match however, I had numerous failures to feed properly with several different mags. The new round would start up the ramp but then jam. While I know most or all of those mags have all been used in this and other 1911s, I loaded up so many mags for the match I can't say which ones were which now.

The gun was clean & well lubed and I don't see anything obvious that has changed mechanically, so I am wondering of this could be a weak/worn return spring issue. The same spring has been there for thousands of rounds and at least seems to my mind to be the probable culprit.

Am I on a good track or chasing off on a rabbit trail thinking return spring with this type of issue????

TIA gents

TenTea
October 15, 2017, 21:14
Get a Wolff Gunsprings service pack for Govt Model with a 16# recoil spring, for starters and go from there.

meltblown
October 15, 2017, 21:35
Springs are cheap.

tdb59
October 15, 2017, 22:34
Change the recoil spring.

I replace handgun recoil springs within every 2,000 rounds, but I am a freak and springs are cheap.

Invictus77
October 15, 2017, 22:45
Thanks Gents. The recoil spring was my thought and the Wolf spring set is already inbound.

I luvs me some buncha 1911 stuff, but I am far from a technical guru on the 1911 and truly appreciate the input from those who are :bow:

I love this place :biggrin:

TenTea
October 16, 2017, 07:17
Be mindful that the "hammer spring" inside the mainspring housing (arched or flat) is just as important as the recoil spring to slide operation.
23 lb. is the standard rating, but some will use a lessor weight to get the trigger pull lightened.
You will get a fresh one from Wolff and won't hurt to install that one either.
Good luck!

Wildcat
October 17, 2017, 20:41
IF that doesn't work......

One thing I did to diagnose a feed issue:

Make up a batch of dummy rounds.

Reassemble the pistol without the recoil spring.

Load up any suspect mag with the dummys and hand cycle the magazine worth of dummys by manually drawing the slide back and forward.

Good way to isolate a sticky disconnector, a rotten mag, an edgy extractor, overlength rounds, or an improperly deburred barrel hood.

J. Armstrong
October 17, 2017, 20:57
Be mindful that the "hammer spring" inside the mainspring housing (arched or flat) is just as important as the recoil spring to slide operation.
23 lb. is the standard rating, but some will use a lessor weight to get the trigger pull lightened.
You will get a fresh one from Wolff and won't hurt to install that one either.
Good luck!

Good point - this exact issue caught me out twice until a friend edumacated me !!