PDA

View Full Version : I don't know where to ask this question...

Hebrew Battle Rifle
October 12, 2017, 01:13
...so, here it goes.

I was given 1500 lubed lead semi wad cutter .38 cal bullets. I have no interest in setting up another caliber to reload, but I do want an 1851 NAVY Cap n Ball revolver.

Can I use these bullets in a .36 cal cap n ball revolver?

hueyville
October 12, 2017, 01:38
I wouldn't try it. Trade them over at castboolits for what you need and use flat rate shipping boxes. For right price I might be interested if commercial cast so can be sure of alloy used.

Wildcat
October 12, 2017, 18:15
You'd be better off trading them.

There may be a few annoyances with putting them in the percussion gun, namely....

Size: Cap guns need a slightly oversized bullet so that a seal is created when they get pressed into the chamber. This process shaves a ring of lead off the bullet as it is rammed into the chamber.

Alloy: Cap guns are designed around using soft lead bullets. The ram is not built for using harder cast bullets and the pivot may not last very long stuffing linotype in the cylinder. Note: The guns can -shoot- hard lead bullets if a cartridge conversion cylinder is used (the ram isn't needed to get bullets into the chambers.)

Length: You didn't say what weight the wadcutters are. They might be long for the percussion cylinder and leave very little room for powder.

V guy
October 13, 2017, 11:54
1851 Navy Cap and ball gun, may have an actual .380 size bbl and chamber.

You have .357 lead bullets.

Brother Wayne
October 13, 2017, 16:50
...so, here it goes.

I was given 1500 lubed lead semi wad cutter .38 cal bullets. I have no interest in setting up another caliber to reload, but I do want an 1851 NAVY Cap n Ball revolver.

Can I use these bullets in a .36 cal cap n ball revolver?

.36 caliber cap and ball revolvers use a .375 round ball. .38 caliber semi-wad cutters are going to be .358. That is way to small to make a chamber seal in your .36 Navy. Poor accuracy at best and dangerous cross firing at worst and very likely to occur even with a felt wad under it. Black powder revolvers must use an oversized round ball that will actually shear partially away leaving a small lead ring around the cylinder hole when the ball is seated. I shoot these a lot and have been doing so for over 40 years now. If you would like any information or need any help I'd be more than happy to visit with you about it.

c0wb0y84
October 16, 2017, 19:51
If you decide to sell I may be interested depending on bullet weight.