PDA

View Full Version : Stg58 lower converted to Para - recoil plate cit?

johnnycobra
October 10, 2017, 22:06
Hey all, I have an stg58 lower that has had the tang removed. Did the nose cut on the upper, but am finding that some para topcovers have a tab that hits the recoil plate and needs a cut all the way from the top of the recoil plate by the rear site down to the spot where old recoil spring would be
Which topcovers require this cut, or how have you made this cut on your conversion?

bigstick61
October 11, 2017, 00:09
Don't know about the "how" part, not being a gunsmith or machinist, but this is what the recoil plate on my FN hiduminium type 1 para lower looks like:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4499/37629507201_c5128cb9f9_b.jpg

gunplumber
October 11, 2017, 08:44
It's a clearance cut and doesn't have to be square. I do a plunge cut with an 1/4" endmill to appx same width.|

I'm not sure of why the tab is there

4markk
October 11, 2017, 10:19
The only reasons I could think of were:
1) provide detent for the guide rod so the main area sits flat against the recoil plate.
2) reduce lateral movement of the cover, possibly due to automatic fire.

gunplumber
October 11, 2017, 10:58
The only reasons I could think of were:
1) provide detent for the guide rod so the main area sits flat against the recoil plate.
2) reduce lateral movement of the cover, possibly due to automatic fire.

1. Not following. Would only apply if the guide rod plate sat forward of rear of the cover. (Like on a DSA. Which is what causes the DSA to fail. And they know this. And they sell them anyway - 5 years after being put on notice. Except now they are nickel coated defective parts. It's the Chicago way!)

2. the nub is smaller than the clearance so has no contact for lateral rgidity.

nwobhm
October 11, 2017, 13:05
The standoff cut is capped by a paratrooper sight. When the upper and lower are locked/closed the nub is locked under the front ledge of the paratrooper sight. That coupled with the nose cut locks the paratrooper top cover to the upper receiver.

gunplumber
October 11, 2017, 13:07
The standoff cut is capped by a paratrooper sight. When the upper and lower are locked/closed the nub is locked under the front ledge of the paratrooper sight. That coupled with the nose cut locks the paratrooper top cover to the upper receiver.

Except it's not, because then it wouldn't open.

308/223shooter
October 11, 2017, 13:57
Theory I read was it kept the no nose para cover from launching itself off the receiver, if the take down catch was accidentaly hooked on something during a para jump. Just what I read somewhere.

nwobhm
October 11, 2017, 14:49
...it keeps the para cover from launching itself off the receiver...

FIFY

Except it's not, because then it wouldn't open.

Yes it does. The lower rotates into position.

johnnycobra
October 11, 2017, 15:23
Theory I read was it kept the no nose para cover from launching itself off the receiver, if the take down catch was accidentaly hooked on something during a para jump. Just what I read somewhere.

Wouldnt you also need to pull the topcover rearward far enough to get the ejection port side "rail" or the topcover loose OR hit the topcover from the side hard enough to compress the sidecover out of the groove in the receiver?

That would be a heck of a bounce! I guess anything is possible when jumping out of an airplane.

gunplumber
October 11, 2017, 16:10

There is no factory "no nose" para top cover. That's a US commercial market invention to avoid a nose cut.

nwobhm
October 11, 2017, 17:14
Wouldnt you also need to pull the topcover rearward far enough to get the ejection port side "rail" or the topcover loose OR hit the topcover from the side hard enough to compress the sidecover out of the groove in the receiver?

That would be a heck of a bounce! I guess anything is possible when jumping out of an airplane.

The nose cut also works as a capture for the B/C group upon removal. You guys are overthinking this. The nose and stand off are just extra insurance that it doesn't come apart in the field.

308/223shooter
October 11, 2017, 17:39

I had a Belgian cover with a ground off nose. You had to hold on to the cover when you opened the action, or it'd remove itself, along with the springs, from the receiver.
I may still have it some where about the shop, or not.

johnnycobra
October 11, 2017, 18:47
I get the nose value. The rear tab and extra recoil machining makes no sense that I can see. Maybe if something hooked on the ejection port when you jumped out of a plane? That may rip the cover off and the rear tab may help?

PvtJoker
October 13, 2017, 00:00
I've still got the StG-58 lower that DSA converted and installed on my para when I got it. I took it off and replaced it with an aluminum lower, so I've been trying to sell this one since. It appears to not have had the recoil plate altered on it and it was used with a nose cut top cover that came on the rifle back in 2009. I will try to get a picture or two up tomorrow if it would help. Or, if you are interested in it, I might do some trading if you happen to have a couple of the lightweight para metric pattern mags?

ETA: possible trade pending...