PDA

View Full Version : L1a1 Barrel Swap

Hvt98
October 10, 2017, 19:19
Had a "gunsmith" swap a barrel on one of my R1a1. It's an Inch gun with metric barrel and mine work great just want to get a correct a barrel for the gun. He installed a washer and had to custom made another washer for it. He test fired it and send it back to me.

I took it to the range and it shoot 3" to the right after the rear sight was moved all the way to the left and will not move any further.

I contacted him and he told it was because I didn't send him the lower when he did the barrel swap. Well, he never ask for the lower when I talk to him about doing the barrel swap.

Question:

Is the lower receiver necessary to do a barrel swap?

munchoman
October 10, 2017, 19:26
No,your smith is incompetent, most i have dealt with are

Invictus77
October 10, 2017, 19:29
over timed :facepalm:

Hoover 1
October 10, 2017, 19:44
3 inches at what distance?

Thanks

Hoover

pl521
October 10, 2017, 19:51
You don't need the lower to install barrel and time properly.

I remember from one of the threads 'if it shoots right it's too tight and if shoots left, not enough heft'. I think your barrel was over timed.

Invictus77
October 10, 2017, 20:04
You don't need the lower to install barrel and time properly.

I remember from one of the threads 'if it shoots right it's too tight and if shoots left, not enough heft'. I think your barrel was over timed.

YES!

I misread the OP. Mia culpa.

Hvt98
October 10, 2017, 20:26
3" to the right at 25 yard

No more Windage adj available

MAINER
October 11, 2017, 08:19
Your barrel needs to be backed-off and re-zeroed. Some mathamagicion can likely tell you exactly how many degrees, but I'm only on my first cup of Joe and the brain isn't talking to me yet.

The problem now is that the Breeching Washer you have may not provide the 75+ ft. lbs. of torque needed to get the barrel tight enough. It depends on the barrels position relative to 11:00 when hand tightened to determine if a thicker washer is required.

Hvt98
October 13, 2017, 14:07
Smith says the gas block on the new barrel is canted and barrel need to to have new crown.

Thought the front sight as aligned to the rear when torque?

Barrel crown will have effect on accuracy but not to be off paper?

biyf
October 13, 2017, 14:13
Your smith is full of crap. I have only once found a gunsmith shop that I walked into be competent in building FALs, and it turns out the guy is a member here (ftierson). I think he actually referred me to the falfiles.

This is the reason I ended up buying the tools and learning how to do it myself. Over or undertiming of the barrel, improper torque, and lack of understanding in how to headspace a FAL are the most common gunsmith mistakes.

munchoman
October 15, 2017, 21:18
Your smith is full of crap. I have only once found a gunsmith shop that I walked into be competent in building FALs, and it turns out the guy is a member here (ftierson). I think he actually referred me to the falfiles.

This is the reason I ended up buying the tools and learning how to do it myself. Over or undertiming of the barrel, improper torque, and lack of understanding in how to headspace a FAL are the most common gunsmith mistakes.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Hvt98 all that gun hack can do now, is cause more damage

JAYG0351
October 19, 2017, 13:15
I went to a local gunsmith and asked how much to remove the muzzle brake on my L1A1. He said about $50.00, he then said that is an AR15 type rifle right. I said no thanks to his offer and informed him that the rifle is the inch pattern of the FAL. I hate to think of what might have happened to the rifle had I left it with him.

d_s
October 19, 2017, 14:35
Smith says the gas block on the new barrel is canted and barrel need to to have new crown.

Your Smith is right, the gas block is canted, what he left out is that its canted because HE DIDNT INSTALL THE BARREL ANYWHERE NEAR TDC