PDA

View Full Version : Locking Shoulder Replacement Question

Hoover 1
October 09, 2017, 19:03
I would like the opinion of the board on this.

I have a L1A1 / Imbel unmarked metric receiver where I noted that the locking shoulder had moved slight out after a recent session.

I tapped it back in but the forced required was very low.

I removed the locking shoulder (marked "4") and the "shank" measured .2955 inches and the locking shoulder hole in the receiver measured .296 inches. A slip fit instead of an interference fit.

The end of the locking shoulder shank was crudely chamfered but the region that engages in the receiver appears to be untouched/finish intact.

With the exception of the chamfer, I find it hard to believe that the locking shoulder shank was undersized as it came from the factory. But.......

The question.

I understand that the standard locking shoulder shank should measure .2974 inches and the "1" shank is .2982 inches, should I go with a standard or the "1" oversized replacement locking shoulder to correct the issue?

Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

Invictus77
October 09, 2017, 19:11
If it were me in that situation, I would dab a bit of Loctite on it and push it back in before any other steps costing time/dollars and see if it works it's way out again.

It is you, not me, so YMMV.

Hoover 1
October 09, 2017, 19:30
If it were me in that situation, I would dab a bit of Loctite on it and push it back in before any other steps costing time/dollars and see if it works it's way out again.

It is you, not me, so YMMV.

I left that part out. I used a bit of red lock tite in the shank region only and it backed out slightly.

If you can provide any additional guidance, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

4markk
October 09, 2017, 21:08
LocTite aint going to do it.

Since you say the hole is 0.296, the standard 0.2974 should do it. The 0.2982 is probably going to be too tight. That is providing the hole is not actually bigger than 0.296.