PDA

View Full Version : the right way to dismantle a magazine?

chughes
June 19, 2002, 10:37
is there such a thing ?looks like you can pull the floor plate out ,is the the correct way to dismantle the mag im going to have about 10 blued im going to replace all the floor plates just wondering what the correct procedure is thanks for any help

geerhed
June 19, 2002, 11:09
IIRC when I did mine, there's a little hole at one narrow edge. The bottoms of the side panels curl around under the bottom plate. Turn the mag upside down and lock in a vice with some padding. Stick a needlenose tip or something similarly small and rigid in the hole and pull so it slides out of the grooves. Go slowly at first so you can get a hold of the spring or you will have a groove in your face.

Putting the new one in is just as easy, it just requires you to hold the spring down with a screwdriver until you get the bottom plate in enough.

Stranger
June 19, 2002, 11:47
Be careful as you pull the floorplate out. I yanked one out a little too quickly and the spring grabbed me. (I don't use a vice... just a 16 penny nail and my hands.) Apparently, the base of the mag was a little wide, so the sides of the spring didn't catch the flanges as they normally would. Anyway, just make sure you take everything out from the bottom, in the order you see them, and you should be fine. Don't try to pull anything out from the top. :D

Scott S
June 19, 2002, 12:21
For mags with tight floorplates, I clamped a nail in my vise instead of clamping the mag body. Positioned the little hole of the floorplate over the end of the nail and then gave a sharp, but light blow to the back of the mag with a rubber mallet. The blow easily loosened the floorplate, and I then pulled it off using hand pressure.

chughes
June 19, 2002, 12:50
i bought the odds and ends special from dans have taken the floor plates off(thanks for all the help guys)and they look new on the inside,well about 9 do the others are very servicible,am going to have them blasted,and hot blued i hope this will make new again thanks again guys