PDA

View Full Version : Stoll flash hider effectiveness

StuntManMike
October 05, 2017, 19:01
How effective is the Stoll at flash suppression (assume M80 ball)? Is it comparable to a Vortex or would the Vortex provide an advantage in that regard?

Thanks.

4markk
October 05, 2017, 21:16
In my opinion it is the best muzzle device available for the FAL. The only thing it doesn't do is the main thing the Vortex does do.

StuntManMike
October 06, 2017, 16:14
In my opinion it is the best muzzle device available for the FAL. The only thing it doesn't do is the main thing the Vortex does do.

Are you saying it doesn't do flash suppression well, since that is the one thing Vortex does do well?

MAINER
October 06, 2017, 19:20
The Stoll does a good job as a Flash Hider, but I'm not sure where it ranks on the "Todays Best Damn Flash Hiders" list. I hear the Vortex is #2, second only to the AAC Blackout, so it looks like the Stoll may well not be the greatest FH if that's what is important to you.

For me, the Stoll seems to dampen barrel vibes contributing to accuracy, looks really cool, frightens snowflakes, and my StG came with it. I'm keeping it.

Muzzle flashes aren't a problem for me as I do very little night shooting, but it looks like the Stoll's 60 year old technology can be improved on if needed.

J. Armstrong
October 06, 2017, 20:35
Generally the Stoll is held in high regard, and is certainly more than adequate. I dislike the extra weight, but for those who feel it helps accuracy, that's not a problem.I can tell you that from an unscientific experiment some friends and I did years ago involving a pitch black room and film photography that very little flash gets past the Stoll. An early Vortex, by comparison, was slightly better. Interestingly, a venezuelan replica FH ( which is pretty minimalist ) wasn't far behind at all.

You would get more flash variation from different loads, especially as commercial loads don't, to my knowledge, incorporate any flash suppressants as military rounds do. We noted that even on the small sampling we did - IIRC, Radway Green, S African, MEN and Winchester and Remington commercial loads.

StuntManMike
October 07, 2017, 14:00
Thanks for the replies. I am going to keep the Stoll on the gun.

meltblown
October 07, 2017, 14:24
If you take it off you will need to drastically change your sight adjustments.