PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Trying to Mount Optic on STG

jdessell
October 01, 2017, 12:42
Ok, so I got a pretty handsome bonus from the homeowner of a renovation job I've been working on the past couple weeks. Only problem is that it came in the form of a gift card to a local sporting good store that is overpriced. I figured I'd buy a scope for my STG, especially since I already have an ARMS dust cover / scope mount on it. Well I picked out the scope I wanted, picked out the rings. I was going to let them mount the scope so they could bore sight it while I walk around the store.

Guy goes to mount the scope on the rings and the rear of the scope hits the rear sight. After evaluating the issue a while I can see only two solutions that don't involve removing the rear sight(which I'm not going to do). Either I'm going to have to go with a cantilever mount or go with an unmagnified red dot. I really don't want to go with a red dot on this rifle. I need magnification. Can someone with more experience than myself point me in the right direction? I want to mount the scope as close to the bore axis as possible. I wound up not buying the scope once we ran into this issue so my scope options are still open if someone can recommend a good optic / mount combo. Thanks.

meltblown
October 01, 2017, 13:03
You need long eye relief to mount in front of the sight. Or a L1A1 flip down. Warne medium height tend to keep it low without grinding the rail to clear the eyepiece.

Guy that I know who is a real scopeaholic told me that dangerous game scopes have longer eye relief to keep your eye further away for heavy recoil rifles.

fwiw. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/optics/optics_rs_0108_03/

klaus486
October 01, 2017, 14:02
Leupold tends to have the longest eye relief in the business. Something like the 1.5x5x20 would be perfect. Could be mounted low and right in front of the rear sight.

klaus486
October 01, 2017, 14:11
You need long eye relief to mount in front of the sight. Or a L1A1 flip down. Warne medium height tend to keep it low without grinding the rail to clear the eyepiece.

Guy that I know who is a real scopeaholic told me that dangerous game scopes have longer eye relief to keep your eye further away for heavy recoil rifles.

Good article! I plan on putting the Leupold 2.5x20 FXII I already own on my SA58. I got it for a .416 Rigby I don't own anymore.

meltblown
October 01, 2017, 14:17
Here's what I'm using. 4" of eye relief. Don't get too much or you'll run out of rail in the front.

https://www.bearbasin.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MNX66103&CartID=1

J. Armstrong
October 01, 2017, 14:52

Excellent advice, some thing I've been preaching for years.

Also, IMHO, you are better with a lower power scope with the attendant greater field of vision, at least if you envision your rifle in a serious "social" situation.

meltblown
October 01, 2017, 15:00
Rings try Warne PN 201LM for 1" tube. QD for chasing your social situation into the bush.

Invictus77
October 01, 2017, 15:44
This may help.....

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408483

michael_g927
October 01, 2017, 20:08
I ran into this on my SAR with DSA mount and Badger Odinance medium hight rings. Those rings are for sale for a C note. The scope was a 30mm tube with a 42mm obj. Any way, i plan to use an ADM mount.
I would love to see some pics of how you guys managed to get this done as well as hear about accuracy successes or failures.

Trypcil
October 01, 2017, 20:21
Some will say the Arms mount isn't quite up to scratch!?!?! - plus it don't have the holes for a Brass catcher, as the DSarms does. Another thing that those holes are useful for is to protect your precious scope from getting banged up by flying brass - by the construction of a 'brass deflector, made from coathanger wire, and some thin brass plate from a hardware, or craft store and silver solder. The wire fits in the holes and gives you shooting time until you can sort the ejection angle issue out! But thats just me - enjoy your scoped rifle.;)

J. Armstrong
October 01, 2017, 20:25
Speaking for myself, the optics serve primarily as an aid to "aging vision".:(
I'd bet the guys here who are accomplished iron sight shooters could easily meet or beat my best efforts with scope, at least at the ranges I am most likely to use a FAL at, which is almost certainly less than 300 yds tops. All my FAL scopes a 1-4 variables, 20 or 24 mm objective, and by far most of my shooting is down at or near 1x. As mentioned, I don't see much need for larger scopes, in fact I view them as counterproductive. Logically, the long range potential of the more powerful scope would be better matched to a rifle with more intrinsic accuracy than an FAL, and one that would see specialized use only at long range. I know some folks have had very impressive results with FALs at much longer ranges, but I can't speak to that since I have no need to shoot those ranges and indeed, no facility handy that offers that option anyway.

I used an ADM mount on both DSA and Grenadier Precision top covers with very satisfactory results ( a Tapco mount actually worked quite well also, at least with the small scopes I use ). The ADM has gone over to my SCAR and the FALs now use simple QD rings, which seem quite adequate so far.

rheubers
October 01, 2017, 22:49
Leupold tends to have the longest eye relief in the business. Something like the 1.5x5x20 would be perfect. Could be mounted low and right in front of the rear sight.

I had a Leupold VX-Hog 1.25-4x20 in Warne medium rings on an ARMS top cover. The rear of the occular bell lined up with the recoil plate and about an eighth of an inch above the rails. Could bring the rifle up every time with a darn near perfect sight picture.

One of my brothers shouldered it and when he looked through it, said something to the effect of "wow, it's right there".

There is something about the FAL, whether it is stock comb height, length of pull or both that works well with a low power scope mounted in the weeds.

rheubers
October 01, 2017, 23:04
Excellent advice, some thing I've been preaching for years.

Also, IMHO, you are better with a lower power scope with the attendant greater field of vision, at least if you envision your rifle in a serious "social" situation.

Yup. Exactly why I replaced my VX-Hog with a VX-R 1.25-4x30mm. Not a parallax free true 1x, but has a slighty larger field of view than the hog with a red dot at the center of the reticle.

J. Armstrong
October 02, 2017, 07:21
I had a Leupold VX-Hog 1.25-4x20 in Warne medium rings on an ARMS top cover. The rear of the occular bell lined up with the recoil plate and about an eighth of an inch above the rails. Could bring the rifle up every time with a darn near perfect sight picture.

One of my brothers shouldered it and when he looked through it, said something to the effect of "wow, it's right there".

There is something about the FAL, whether it is stock comb height, length of pull or both that works well with a low power scope mounted in the weeds.

I have one FAL with a near identical setup except I used a Grenadier top cove. It is, indeed, "right there".

hkshooter
October 02, 2017, 07:34
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4414856&postcount=28

jdessell
October 02, 2017, 15:16

I'm having trouble running out of rail.

jdessell
October 02, 2017, 15:20
Speaking for myself, the optics serve primarily as an aid to "aging vision".:(
I'd bet the guys here who are accomplished iron sight shooters could easily meet or beat my best efforts with scope, at least at the ranges I am most likely to use a FAL at, which is almost certainly less than 300 yds tops. All my FAL scopes a 1-4 variables, 20 or 24 mm objective, and by far most of my shooting is down at or near 1x. As mentioned, I don't see much need for larger scopes, in fact I view them as counterproductive. Logically, the long range potential of the more powerful scope would be better matched to a rifle with more intrinsic accuracy than an FAL, and one that would see specialized use only at long range. I know some folks have had very impressive results with FALs at much longer ranges, but I can't speak to that since I have no need to shoot those ranges and indeed, no facility handy that offers that option anyway.

I used an ADM mount on both DSA and Grenadier Precision top covers with very satisfactory results ( a Tapco mount actually worked quite well also, at least with the small scopes I use ). The ADM has gone over to my SCAR and the FALs now use simple QD rings, which seem quite adequate so far.

By your account then it sounds like a good red dot would probably be the ticket. I'm not completely against that.

jdessell
October 02, 2017, 15:29

I like that setup. Your ARMS mount has more slots than mine. My mount only has 6 cross slots, limiting my mounting placement.

MK ULTRA
October 02, 2017, 21:01
Get a DSA or an ARMS. They have the full rail on the top cover. You'll need a compact scope. 2-7 LEUPOLD will be great. You dont want a long eye relief pistol scope. It will have 8-10" of ER. U want just a longer than normal ER ( 3-5") scope like in the chart.

Good luck.

rheubers
October 03, 2017, 02:05

And there is a VX-R on an FAL! A quality low power variable with the added benefit of a red dot that doesn't look out of place on a classic warhorse.

rheubers
October 03, 2017, 02:20
By your account then it sounds like a good red dot would probably be the ticket. I'm not completely against that.

If you feel a red dot would be beneficial but would like magnification if needed, check out the Leupold VX-R, VX-Patrol (which has a simple ranging reticle) or the Steiner P4Xi (also with a ranging reticle, and rumored to be a true 1x).

While not as "sexy", compact or light as an Aimpoint, Trijicon or EO Tech, you'll be afforded the option of magnification, and the illuminated reticle may come in handy if in the previously mentioned "social situation".

jdessell
October 03, 2017, 04:35
Get a DSA or an ARMS. They have the full rail on the top cover. You'll need a compact scope. 2-7 LEUPOLD will be great. You dont want a long eye relief pistol scope. It will have 8-10" of ER. U want just a longer than normal ER ( 3-5") scope like in the chart.

Good luck.

My dust cover mount is an ARMS.

jdessell
October 03, 2017, 04:36
And there is a VX-R on an FAL! A quality low power variable with the added benefit of a red dot that doesn't look out of place on a classic warhorse.

Specs on that setup?

michael_g927
October 03, 2017, 08:14
I have a SWFA 1-6XHD scope. I use it on my Sig 516. I also have an SWFA 1-4x Classic. They are true 1x and have illumination. They are like Eotechs at 1x and when zoomed up have very useful reticles. Bang for the buck is very high.
SWFA offers their optics in both MOA reticle with MOA turrets as well as MIL reticle on MIL turrets.
Bang for the buck is very high on these and the warranty is awesome!!
I am planning a 3-15x42 Classic 1st FP mil/mil scope next month for my FAL.

meltblown
October 03, 2017, 08:27
My dust cover mount is an ARMS.

Your ARMS is probably an older version. The ones I have are slotted the entire length.

rheubers
October 04, 2017, 01:54
Specs on that setup?

On hkshooter's rig, that is the current ARMS #3 mount with what appears to be Weaver rings, likely medium height but you'd have to ask him.

As for specs for the Leupold, here they are:

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm?selectedSku=

hkshooter
October 04, 2017, 18:28
On hkshooter's rig, that is the current ARMS #3 mount with what appears to be Weaver rings, likely medium height but you'd have to ask him.

As for specs for the Leupold, here they are:

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm?selectedSku=

Nailed it.