PDA

View Full Version : WTK: ID this Combo device?

Capt D
September 27, 2017, 18:18
Okay, so I stumble upon this combo device, seen in the link below. Looks like it may be reparked? Anywho, can anyone help me identify its origin? It's got a grenade snap ring, BFA threads, and standard lefty FAL muzzle threads...thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L4Fh81jGEkmJT9OE3

nwobhm
September 27, 2017, 18:30
Strong chance it's Imbel..... or later FN. If FN it'll probably be marked on the flat.

Capt D
September 27, 2017, 23:37
Strong chance it's Imbel..... or later FN. If FN it'll probably be marked on the flat.

No markings on the flats that I can readily see, but unsure...any photos for comparison anyone has? Also, what are some other telltale signs?

nwobhm
September 28, 2017, 03:51
The wrench flat location is all I'm using. It's typical of Imbel. Some later FN used that location too. Most FN and all DSA are near the center.

gunplumber
September 28, 2017, 09:13
Looks like standard IMBEL to me. But you're not a newbie, and that's a simple question - so is there anything atypical that has you curious as to it's source?

Capt D
September 28, 2017, 12:54
Looks like standard IMBEL to me. But you're not a newbie, and that's a simple question - so is there anything atypical that has you curious as to it's source?

Not really...but, though I'm not a newb, believe it or not I've got no experience with Imbel or Argie type FALs lol Nor any other that has such a combo device. This device came with the StG bbl I'd just gotten, and do not need any other 'FAL seeds' laying about (this device just sold -- was the reason I'd posed the inquiry)

gunplumber
September 28, 2017, 14:03
Well for reference there are

FN wrench flat at the bottom
FN wrench flat at bottom and tangent roll-pin hole (RH thread)
FN center section reduced (FNC and maybe CAL)
IMBEL wrench flat at middle
IMBEL wrench flat at middle and an R on a flat - no idea what it means, it's not RH
Argy same as IMBEL
Argy blued commercial replica no GL or BFA (long discussion of this - passionate disagreement)

Also as noted, there may be FN with the middle flat

4markk
September 28, 2017, 14:33
Did South Africa make their own or just use FN?

bigstick61
September 28, 2017, 15:44
Did South Africa make their own or just use FN?

My understanding is that the R1 was made entirely in South Africa. The earlier rifles were made by FN.