PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the USP

lew
September 25, 2017, 17:01
My buddy has a USP 45, and I'm in the mood to add another pistol to the lineup. We'll run some ammo through it next time we head to the range. Specifically, I'd be looking at the USP 9 full-sized. Seems like it's just as easy to disassemble as my Glock or Hi Power, and the trigger pull is equal, if not better than those- which are well above adequate. Mags look to be pricey (especially compared to the aforementioned), but I'd only be getting a handful (at least at first).

pre1989
September 25, 2017, 17:25
My buddy has a USP 45, and I'm in the mood to add another pistol to the lineup. We'll run some ammo through it next time we head to the range. Specifically, I'd be looking at the USP 9 full-sized. Seems like it's just as easy to disassemble as my Glock or Hi Power, and the trigger pull is equal, if not better than those- which are well above adequate. Mags look to be pricey (especially compared to the aforementioned), but I'd only be getting a handful (at least at first).

I like USP ...The only thing that botthers me is the internal lock

Just remember that they are different safty set ups on them and trigger so remember that

Mags are not that bad unless you are talking Jet funnel mags and that set up ..I have gotten some police trade in mags for the USP for like 20 each used but they work

They are nice guns

lew
September 25, 2017, 18:41
The safety orientation was a bit odd, but I still have a few brain cells left that can be retrained.

Talk to me about this "internal lock". Bullshit safety lock a la '90's S&W's?

VALMET
September 25, 2017, 19:43
I had one in 9mm a few years back. Very smooth and reliable but was a bit blocky for my taste (I had full-size model).

lew
September 30, 2017, 19:04
Shot my buddy's USP 45 and 45 Compact today. Fine pistols, and I shot them well enough, but they don't do anything my Glock won't. I think a G20 would be a fine addition; CZ if I want to branch out.

TXMoose
September 30, 2017, 20:23
Have a look at the P30L

I ended up with this when I went looking for a 9mm USP

lew
October 01, 2017, 21:42
I've shot that and the VP9. Neither appealed to me.

michael_g927
October 01, 2017, 23:16
Lew, i had a G20 from thw second group in country. In my mind its the ultimate pistol. I wish i could get a 10mm AR that uses G20 mags. And i wish there was a 30rd G20 mag.
You mentioned HiPower. I am thinking of picking onw of the surplus ones up for a build i have in mind. I dont mind milling one of those up. How do you like the HiPower?

lew
October 02, 2017, 12:09
Lew, i had a G20 from thw second group in country. In my mind its the ultimate pistol. I wish i could get a 10mm AR that uses G20 mags. And i wish there was a 30rd G20 mag.
You mentioned HiPower. I am thinking of picking onw of the surplus ones up for a build i have in mind. I dont mind milling one of those up. How do you like the HiPower?

The HP is in a league of its own. It is certainly not the ultimate tacticool pistol, but it is a very well-made piece of machinery with a lot of history behind it. It fits my hands like it was custom made; point shooting is a breeze. Mine's an Argentine clone, and I think that's the best example of the type. I had an FN, and, while it was a great shooter, it seemed extraneous. Bro has an FN with the SFS hammer system. Also a great shooter.

My brother has a G29. Even with barnburner 10mm loads, it's easy and pleasant to shoot. Part of me really wants the G40, but the 20 would be more practical as I would have the option to carry it. I'll have to head down to Glockmeister and mess with a 40 to be sure.

It's funny: give me a rifle, and I'll probably enjoy it. Pistols? I could scarcely be more picky and selective.

WILD HOND
October 02, 2017, 13:48
I sold my Glock 19 Gen 4 to get a USP compact 9mm. The best decision I could ever make. But then again different stroke for different folks. At the end of the day it is what suits you better and what you are more comfortable with.

lew
October 03, 2017, 11:50
At the end of the day it is what suits you better and what you are more comfortable with.

Absolutely. With a 1001 types of very serviceable handguns out there, pick what suits ya. Some are legitimate crap, but between most, it's only preference that offers any meaningful separation. That said, it's A-OK to make fun of those fan boys that get wrapped up around any particular type. :shades:

Klaus Von Richter
October 04, 2017, 11:28
I had USP 45, it was a great gun. I traded it off a while back. I still regret it, will probably get another soon.

lew
October 04, 2017, 12:19
I had USP 45, it was a great gun. I traded it off a while back. I still regret it, will probably get another soon.

The full size I shot had noticeable muzzle flip, likely due to the high bore axis and long lever arm made by the pistol grip. The Compact shot very nicely.