PDA

View Full Version : Binding while charging

FN FNG
September 24, 2017, 14:59
Hey guys i'm having issues trying to charge my FAL. The bcg seems to hang up 1" into the charging stroke and I have to mortar it to get it to go all the way back. This is happening on an empty gun btw
What makes it worse is that, when seperated from the lower the BCG slides back in forth in the upper without issue (the same goes for the charging handle).

Could it be that the rat tail is slightly bent and is interacting with the buffer tube?

ETA: where can I buy a new rat tail?

meltblown
September 24, 2017, 15:07
Make sure the T nut that is pinned in the charging handle doesn't protrude too far. If a tad long it will bind the carrier

1911Ron
September 24, 2017, 15:12
A few questions for you, who made your rifle? Is it new or an older factory built or kit? If unknown or unsure post some pictures of the rifle.

The rat tail is riveted in so if it is bent you would need to get another bolt.
Look for any unusual rub marks like on top of the hammer.

I've reread your post and it sounds like your recoil spring maybe dirty or the tube is either bent or there isn't a bevel for the rat tail to pass smoothly.
Look at the recoil plate and look at the bottom of the recoil tube and look for a bevel for the rat tail to pass, if you could take a picture of this area and post it please?

tdb59
September 24, 2017, 15:15
Disassemble the recoil spring and tube, check the tube for straightness and verify that the springs are clean and properly lubed.

FN FNG
September 24, 2017, 15:19
A few questions for you, who made your rifle? Is it new or an older factory built or kit? If unknown or unsure post some pictures of the rifle.

Look for any unusual rub marks like on top of the hammer.

Rifles is a home build on a coonan. I think its argy or belgian parts. The rat tail on this one is only pinned so i can swap it easily

I took the hammer out and the issue was still present.

1911Ron
September 24, 2017, 15:28
Rifles is a home build on a coonan. I think its argy or belgian parts. The rat tail on this one is only pinned so i can swap it easily

I took the hammer out and the issue was still present.

Ok well try that then if that doesn't fix it try some of the others ideas, good luck!

FN FNG
September 24, 2017, 15:59
Disassemble the recoil spring and tube, check the tube for straightness and verify that the springs are clean and properly lubed.

Took it apart (not pointing at my face) and degreased and re-lubed it with remoil. Pushes in and out fine with a screw driver. I can push the bolt back a little with the CH and them cock it with my hands

Look at the recoil plate and look at the bottom of the recoil tube and look for a bevel for the rat tail to pass, if you could take a picture of this area and post it please?

It looks like this one with the little tangental radius by the recoil buffer hole.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/images/products/detail/fal210lowrecstripped3.jpg

1911Ron
September 24, 2017, 16:06
If it looks smooth at the bottom than you should be good to go.

meltblown
September 24, 2017, 16:25
You are doing your checks without the cover attached?

pl521
September 24, 2017, 16:54
I had a similar problem recently; top of bolt was hanging on carrier as it closed on empty magazine. I replaced the carrier and it closed fine. Give it a try if you have access to extra carrier. Hope this helps, good luck.

lew
September 25, 2017, 11:56

The rat tail rivet is super easy to drill out. Replacing it with a new one and riveting that in place is just as simple.

J. Armstrong
September 25, 2017, 12:14
Open the upper/lower or seperate the two. Remove the top cover.
The bolt should slide freely in the rails. If it doesn't, check the rails for straightness, burrs or damage. If okay, then cycle the bolt with the charging handle to check for interference with the handle.
Replace top cover and manually cycle bolt to check for top cover interference.
Check rat tail for straightness and/or shiny marks indicating any rubbing.
If all the above check out, the problem is in the lower. Disassemblig and cleaning and lubing the recoil spring assembly is advisable. Check for any wear or shiny marks on the bolt or carrier which would indicate interference with a lower receiver component.

johnnybourbon
September 25, 2017, 13:42
I built a para recently that did this exact thing. Using the stock imbel charging handle there was no issue but when I replaced it with the DSA charging handle the fit was tight enough to cause binding under pressure. With no spring resistance it would slide forward and back no problem but if you put a little pressure dragging it as you slowly charged (no spring still) you could feel where it was binding against rough spots. Solution was to take a hand file and gently clean up the channel where it was binding (mostly the last couple of inches).

FN FNG
September 26, 2017, 15:33
I built a para recently that did this exact thing. Using the stock imbel charging handle there was no issue but when I replaced it with the DSA charging handle the fit was tight enough to cause binding under pressure. With no spring resistance it would slide forward and back no problem but if you put a little pressure dragging it as you slowly charged (no spring still) you could feel where it was binding against rough spots. Solution was to take a hand file and gently clean up the channel where it was binding (mostly the last couple of inches).

Is literally everything they make junk?

Top cover was the first suspect. It binds with or without it. I've shot the rifle before this so its a new issue. I'm going to mess with it a little more. Also where would be a good place to buy a bolt rat tail?

lew
September 27, 2017, 11:55
Is literally everything they make junk?

On the contrary, most of what they make is very good. And, to be fair, a couple of their CS reps are tops. The problem is that, when issues are pointed out, they- management and their rep here on the forum- attack those pointing out the problem areas and do nothing to correct them. This applies mainly to their receivers, some para top covers- known shitty welds- and, if I recall correctly, an older batch of barrels. There may be more that I am missing, but, most of their equipment is solid, and, they're basically the only name in the new receiver game since Dan Coonan told his customers that what they buy is what they get. Got a problem with a Coonan receiver? Tough shit.

gunplumber
September 27, 2017, 13:44
I have run into several recent Coonan and DSA where the charging handle would move smoothly, until the lug was installed AND it was under load. I do not think your lug is too long. I think there is a lack of parallel in the channel the lug rides in. I usually chase this with a thin file when prepping a receiver. The front left coroner is usually the area most in need of attention.

Interestingly, on some DSA L1A1 receivers, there was no binding on the lug until I drove the retaining pin in. I speculate there was a bit of wiggle and without the pin, it could find it's happy spot.

Anyway, on the FAL, I just reduce the width of the lug a few thousandths. I use a grinding wheel in the mill, but have previously done it with a file.

On the L1A1, I do the same but also increase the length of the flat toward the head, by .005-.010". Not sure why it has friction there, but a newly refinished part, the friction at that spot was readily apparent.

1911Ron
September 27, 2017, 16:47
The rat tail rivet is super easy to drill out. Replacing it with a new one and riveting that in place is just as simple.

Yeah I didn't think about that. :facepalm:

FN FNG
October 04, 2017, 08:50
Rat tail is bent and has a rub mark. I'm not sure what caused this