PDA

View Full Version : Higher viz front sight post?

Slaughter
September 24, 2017, 10:37
Tried searching and failed. Tried "google-fu" and failed.

Anybody here know of any front sight post that is more visible for tired old eyes? Shooting under the shade against dark targets, the front sight post tends to disappear.

I can put a bit of white paint on the post but would really like to find something more robust.

fnogger
September 24, 2017, 11:23
I used a DSA railed top cover and installed a Bushnell TRS-25. Cowitnesses perfectly, can't miss the red dot on top of the front sight :D

W.E.G.
September 24, 2017, 11:52
Modify a front post to take a threaded fiber-optic post for an AK.

Or give up the notion that iron sights make any sense in an era where excellent optical sights are available for any gun.

Iron sights are dead.

klaus486
September 24, 2017, 14:47
Modify a front post to take a threaded fiber-optic post for an AK.

Or give up the notion that iron sights make any sense in an era where excellent optical sights are available for any gun.

Iron sights are dead.

Until your battery dies or the scope takes a shit. Then the guy with the zeroed iron sights wins the day. They still make COMPLETE sense to me.

I wish I could recall where I read it but the gist was a Special Forces instructor who took great delight in "killing" his trainees with a bone stock 1917 Enfield bolt action .30-06. Skill and will beat gadgetry.

Personally I will be shooting iron sights until the day I am too blind to do it anymore.

Clint Smith once said, "30 days after the balloon goes up, iron sights will rule the world". Nuff said.

Eyeguy
September 24, 2017, 14:55
You didn't specify metric or inch but odds say metric.

No help for metric but I like this on my L1A1. Don't know that it would be to any advantage in low light but overall did help tighten up groups.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-11906-kns-precision-l1a1-fal-inch-pattern-front-sight-post-standard-crosshair.aspx

Slaughter
September 24, 2017, 17:08
You didn't specify metric or inch but odds say metric.

No help for metric but I like this on my L1A1. Don't know that it would be to any advantage in low light but overall did help tighten up groups.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-11906-kns-precision-l1a1-fal-inch-pattern-front-sight-post-standard-crosshair.aspx

OOPS - yes, metric.

I have access to a machine shop so could rig up something... but hoping to find something more to my liking that I could buy and not have a machine-shop experiment.

jhend170
September 25, 2017, 08:18
I have touched mine up with a glow-in-the-dark paint I found on eBay. Did this to pretty much all my open sights that aren't tritium. Nice thing is it's fluorescent yellow in daylight, and glows bright in the dark after just 20 seconds or so with my tac flashlight on them. I did my complete front post so that I can pick it up nicely.

As others have sais though a RDS is just as good as irons these days, and far easier to pick up with old eyes. Additionally, unlike irons, if you aren't perfectly behind them that's ok, where the dot is the projo goes.

As for battery life that's more up to your research. Aimpoints go like 50,000 hrs on a battery. Most cops that have them on their patrol rifles just leave them on, knowing it will be a couple of years before they have to worry about it. A second option is a variable power scope with illumination, which is how I prefer to roll. I put the Primary Arms 1-8x on mine, and 1x is a true 1x, and the reticle is visible illuminated or not. On my AR I have the Leupold VX-R 3-9x. Again, normal crosshairs with a single illuminated 1moa dot at the + to make low-light shots with. I use that dot day or night and it really helps with specific shot placement.

So you really can have your cake and illuminate it too...

Invictus77
September 25, 2017, 10:13
Link to successful glow in dark paint?

Slaughter
September 25, 2017, 20:18
I used an Armson OEG gun sight in the 80s and loved the way it worked. Like the idea of tritium not needing batteries. I have 2 SUIT sights but i still like the simplicity of the irons.

Probably just paint the post and go with it.

jhend170
September 26, 2017, 08:18
Link to successful glow in dark paint?

Here's the one I used. I filled all my 3-dots, even the front blade on my little NAA .22mag. It's very viscous so I build layers with it to get it good and thick. It seems the thicker it is the better the glow and the fluorescence in daylight. I pocket carry that little NAA with keys, change, etc, and it's held up nicely here for probably 3 yrs now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SiteGlo-Glow-In-The-Dark-Gun-Sight-Paint-Now-Improved-/272622440329?epid=734270538&hash=item3f79904f89:g:hL0AAOxydlFS0xG8