PDA

View Full Version : What Is This?

scea1959
September 23, 2017, 19:30
I looked at a DSA S58 today at my lgs. What seemed strange to me was the barrel was not threaded for a brake, it had ports at the end of the barrel instead. Is this an older S58 by DSA or what?. Is there somewhere I can check the serial number to give me more info. I was able to break the rifle down and it seemed to have minimal wear and was very clean. Any help would be appreciated Thanx

K-fal58
September 23, 2017, 20:18
Could be an older gun someone shot very little and the gun shop bought it or it could be the owners trying to make some extra cash for inventory. If it is a older gun check the serial number. If it starts with Ds its a older gun. If it starts with DSA a newer gun. What was the price? If its a Ds prefix buy it.

Gunfighter45
September 23, 2017, 20:32
Sounds like a "ban era" fiFal from your description of the barrel.

scea1959
September 24, 2017, 07:31
The shop wants a 1000.00 for it. The serial number does begin with a DS. Would this be an inch pattern or metric? I see there are Thermomold mags available, how reliable are these? Being a M1a, AK, AR guy I am a complete newby when it comes to FALs. Thanks again to everyone:)

Johnaski
September 24, 2017, 07:46
Seems like a bubba job on the end of the barrel. For 1k you can do better.

meltblown
September 24, 2017, 08:02
Basically yes a ban era rifal. There is a picture of one here when you log in on the start up page.

4markk
September 24, 2017, 09:20
Barrel with integrated muzzle brake was an option DSA did during the Clinton Assault on Weapons Ban.

The lower one in this pic is one of those:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ceotjd.jpg

DS prefixed receiver is a forged metric and one of their better ones. Probably made by LMT.

THermomold FAL mags are crap. Avoid.

As for the price, it is near top dollar for that rifle. I'd offer $900 with a couple milsurp mags.

gunplumber
September 24, 2017, 09:22
yrp, and it can be chopped off and then threaded. Just need to cut it foward of the 16" mark. Will have an interrupt in the threads but it is fine.

gw104
September 30, 2017, 17:20
yrp, and it can be chopped off and then threaded. Just need to cut it foward of the 16" mark. Will have an interrupt in the threads but it is fine.

So are the DSA barrels made like that known to be good one?

gunplumber
September 30, 2017, 21:19
They are no better or worse than any other. There is a lot of voodo in barrels. Some look good and shoot poorly, and some shoot great and look like shit. Heck, I had a Springfield Armory Galil (remarked Action Arms) with no rifling in the first third of the barrel that was considerably more accurate than my new Magnum research.

Only point I was making is that the threads will be interrupted, but you can still thread at 16" for a standard FAL device. The integral brake was a product of the 94-04 AW ban.

tdb59
September 30, 2017, 21:58
There were some with medium contour barrels and integral brakes as well.

http://i.imgur.com/g7YthE4h.jpg

FALonious
October 01, 2017, 06:00
There were some with medium contour barrels and integral brakes as well.

IIRC most of them use the Grayslake receivers yes? Must have been just in the right time frame.

gw104
October 01, 2017, 06:51
The reason I ask is that I picked up a PAC Imbel with this barrel and was wondering if it was built by PAC with this barrel or if it is a private gunsmith build. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Rifle appears to have very little wear looks almost new.

nwobhm
October 01, 2017, 07:08
IIRC most of them use the Grayslake receivers yes? Must have been just in the right time frame.

The integral brakes were on SA58 up to 2004. The earlier SA58 Grayslakes had NOS Steyr and Argy barrels with soldered brakes.

tdb59
October 01, 2017, 12:32
The reason I ask is that I picked up a PAC Imbel with this barrel and was wondering if it was built by PAC with this barrel or if it is a private gunsmith build. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Rifle appears to have very little wear looks almost new.

Pacific Armament did not build any rifles.

ghf
October 03, 2017, 09:30
I had a DS prefix serial no. DSA factory rifle w/ integral brake. That rifle had a chrome lined barrel.