PDA

View Full Version : so are all scope rings crap

panchop
June 18, 2002, 19:47
or just the ones i buy..Ok the leapers tacticial rings fall apart and i got to expect that. there cheap. but the leopold QR rings. sheard the tightining screw, no way to repair i see. guess there all garbage. i'm a little irked. guess i'll sell this damn scope and stick with iron sights.

stargazer
June 18, 2002, 20:15
You are not having a good day! Try some Burris "zee" rings. All steel and not much else to break. The new see thru style of "zee" rings looks promising also.:)

GSF1200
June 18, 2002, 21:20
I broke the screw on a set of Zee rings!

kotengu
June 18, 2002, 21:21
I've had good luck with Millet Angle-Loc rings so far......

Michael64
June 18, 2002, 21:57
Your not using a torque wrench on those are ya? :p

AR-45ACP
June 18, 2002, 22:44
I have had good luck with the ARMS quick release, Leupold QR , and Leupold MKIV rings, You should be able to atleast send yours back to leupold and get a free one.

MK ULTRA
June 18, 2002, 23:20
I don't like the Anglock's. Theres no good way to tell if there straight with the barrel and in the middle of the barrel.

At least standard rings should start out straight and in the middle of the barrel.

You have to have them somewhat straight and in the middle before lapping.

Send those QD rings back to Leupold and they will fix them or send you some new ones.

jim
June 19, 2002, 01:37
you really need to crank down hard to break a screw on the burris rings.
i too agree on the z-rings but also take a look at I.O.R's rings

aleph_beth
June 19, 2002, 11:02
panchop,
go with the burris, all steel and will kink the scope if you torque 'em too tight. torx screws on the clamps .

Stranger
June 19, 2002, 13:19
Originally posted by panchop
but the leopold QR rings. sheard the tightining screw, no way to repair i see.

:eek: Wow. I think I would have to take a wrench to my Leupold QRW rings to get them to strip out. Speaking of, I would recommend the QRW rings. They use an adjustable lever mechanism to lock the rings securely to the base. I can purple my fingers tightening them with no stripping. If you had trouble with your Leupolds, stick them in a little box and ship them back to Leopold with a "WTF" note attached. They should be good for sending you new ones.

ricochet
June 19, 2002, 21:44
Leupold produces pretty good scopes, pretty good rings, and great bases (in my opinion). I do prefer Burris or Recfield for my rings (an opinion that I have taken from my gunsmith). The one thing that I will always prefer from Leupold is their warranty, they do stand behind what they sale. I gladly buy Leupold often because of this fact, but I still do not prefer their rings.
But, leapers and Leupold are worlds apart on their metalurgy, and their quality. Cheap rings give cheap results, cheap scopes usually offer the same results (BUT not always). I have fired many rounds, have busted several scopes, and sheared rings a few times. I have never sheared or stripped the rings I advised, I have stripped or sheared the ones I didn't.
I can not advise Redfield scopes, but I have had great luck with torture tests on their rings and bases. Burris rings, scopes, and bases held up in all tests, but my Leupold tests showed the rings to be their weakest points (I did screw up a couple pair), but their warranty has been the best (and I have used that several times). I am hell on optics/mounts. And the warranty people know me. I have one particular rifle that I can test anything on, it will let me know what works and doesn't pretty quicky.

wkinma
June 20, 2002, 10:37
Have you considered scope rings such as Badger Ordnance?

They are from bar steel w/ matching #'s to keep the pairs together. The cost is around US$ 150.00 to 160.00+, S&H extra

http://www.badgerordnance.com/

sixplusone
June 20, 2002, 13:41
Panchop; throw that 1/2" breaker bar back in the toolbox!
FWIW I love the leupold DD Dovetail ring on a bolt gun. Mouse gun just got the Weaver 4X4 rings on handle mount. I don't torque them that tight. Need more generous eye relief----5"?
Burris 2X7 Compact anyone?

Edit: Where I used to work there was the infamous story of the hard nosed plumber who used a 10" pipe wrench on a 3/4" pipe. He tightened it bracing himself against a vertical Hvy. pipe on his chest , he broke his sternum plate pulling on it. Sound familiar?