PDA

View Full Version : making a 2moa rifle

ActionYobbo
September 23, 2017, 17:41
With all this croc bashing I decided to see what my rifle can do so I got an arms scope mount off marketplace and stuck a used aim sports 3-9 scope on it and went to the range. Ammo was reloads with used mixed cases and pulled 147g FMJ bullets with pull marks. When sighting in I was doing 3 shot groups then adjusting the scope until I had it on point of aim at 100 yards. To my horror these sighting in groups were sub moa 3 shot groups less than an inch and as small as 3/4". Then I went to 200, 300 and 400 and had no trouble hitting the 6" steel gongs. My norinco M14s shot the same size groups with the same ammo so what are you guys doing to get 2moa?
admittedly my group sized did open up after 20 rounds but still under 2 moa. After letting the rifle cool down for around an hour it went back to shooting sub moa. I did 3 sub moa groups of 3 shots on this run but could not get out to 2moa like you guys.

:fal: is a bog stock Lithgow parts kit on a DSA receiver screwed together by me with no special anything. shooting was prone with the front resting on a 50cal ammo can with a pad.
I have has this rifle for 10 years and have always shot it with the standard sights but put a scope on it to see what it could do because of all the comments made about 2moa
M14 has a redfield 3-9 scope and has had no accurizing just a smiths muzzle brake to replace the ban era fake flash hider
I dont consider my self a good shooter you guys all shoot better than me. I was beaten by Tubb at camp perry and I dipped out of the commonwealth games and came second in the champion of champions by a full 2 points (but I was 12 points in front of 3rd)

Vulcanator
September 23, 2017, 18:41
Respectfully, 3 shot groups don't cut the mustard, did you do larger shot groups after sighting in? I shoot 10 shot groups iron sights with my L1A1. I'm good for 3-4 MOA all the way to 300 yds if I do my part.

meltblown
September 23, 2017, 20:34
Friend of mine bought a 1 moa AR10 He's very disappointed

SAFN49
September 23, 2017, 22:26
Respectfully, 3 shot groups don't cut the mustard, did you do larger shot groups after sighting in? .

You obviously didn't read the OP's post

"admittedly my group sized did open up after 20 rounds but still under 2 moa. After letting the rifle cool down for around an hour it went back to shooting sub moa."

msnyder
September 24, 2017, 08:39

"admittedly my group sized did open up after 20 rounds but still under 2 moa. After letting the rifle cool down for around an hour it went back to shooting sub moa."

I read it the same way. He's shooting 3 round groups. After 20 rounds, his 3 round groups are opening up.

Vulcanator
September 24, 2017, 14:55

I did read his post. 3 round groups are not the best indicator of rifle performance. I'll do a 3 round group to sight in, then shoot 5, preferable 10 round groups to truly see what the rifle can do. Regardless of how the OP wrote his post, it sounds like he did quite well with his rifle.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
October 08, 2017, 15:14
My C1A1 will do it, or real close to it, assuming a proper rest and dialing up the rear aperture to use the 6 hole, then sighted in accordingly.
Unfortunately, the shooter fails often. My body lets me down often now, eyes are starting to suck bigtime.
My unwillingness to screw a scope on my rifle frustrates many.

Good luck to you.
These days, I'm personally banished to fancy built big scoped 700s if I want to brag and strut around.

MAINER
October 09, 2017, 08:15
I totally disagree with you. You are a "good" shooter and that's a damn "good" L1A1 Mixmaster rifle you got there. "No brag, just facts" WS

I don't know any who wouldn't be happy shooting those groups with a pile of parts resembling an L1A1 and 2 MOA military surplus bullets that have been mutilated by a Bullet Pulling Machine no less.
Give yourself some credit AY. Jeeeeezz! :tongue:

J. Armstrong
October 09, 2017, 13:42
There are more than a few folks out there who claim results as good, usually with some super duper ultra whizbang gadgetry and I'm convinced most of them are deluding themselves ( there, wasn't that diplomatic :D ).

I think Yobo can be justifiably proud of both the L1A1 and his skillz :bow: I sure as the devil can't shoot that well with anything :(

tac-40
October 09, 2017, 17:03
I have an Aussie L1A1 I put together on a old Coonan type 1 (back when they were FAC and good). It will shoot 1 MOA all day long with milsurp and iron sights. I would probably do much better with a scope since my eyes or for chit. I might have to break out the SUITE and shoot for acuracy.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
October 09, 2017, 17:41
Agreed. My issue is the eyes. They fail me.

In service, I had NO issue with any range work at 500 yds. At 500, it was usually a 12-14" circle. not bad I think, with an issue rifle and issue Nato ammo.
The C1A1 did the job.
I always thought we had an advantage over the Brits due to our rear sight design and all.

SAFN49
October 09, 2017, 20:15
Ya gotta use the factory bipod. That is the key to improving accuracy.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
October 09, 2017, 21:29

Tell me about the factory bipod on a C1 or L1. I gotta hear about this piece.

J. Armstrong
October 10, 2017, 07:24

Ummmm, was that sarcasm ????

SAFN49
October 10, 2017, 09:40
Yes, that was sarcasm guys.....

ExCdnSoldierInTx
October 10, 2017, 09:41
Ummmm, was that sarcasm ????

Hope so, cuz otherwise, he be a dumbass :facepalm:

SAFN49
October 27, 2017, 11:04
I was installing a flash hider today on a 1960 vintage untouched Brit bbl. The FH was a little more than a half a notch off of perfect timing with no washer. I decided to crown the bbl down just enough to line up the FH.

After 10 turns of the 90 degree cutter

http://i.imgur.com/NKXnvDP.jpg (https://imgur.com/NKXnvDP)

after 20 turns before breaking it with the 45 degree cutter

http://i.imgur.com/V6UaLfr.jpg (https://imgur.com/V6UaLfr)

A factory crown this far off will not help accuracy.

The FH lined up perfectly after this

lockjaw
October 27, 2017, 13:50
10 round groups, otherwise this is a waste of time.

brunop
October 27, 2017, 21:36
Yes, that was sarcasm guys.....

I wish you hadn't said this, just to let people start frothing at the mouth and talking about how stupid you are.

I think you missed a golden opportunity here.

SAFN49
October 29, 2017, 12:51
I wish you hadn't said this, just to let people start frothing at the mouth and talking about how stupid you are.

I think you missed a golden opportunity here.

I didn't want any members stroking out. :rofl:

gunplumber
October 31, 2017, 09:57
tangentially related, I was punching timing washers out of F1 flash hiders yesterday, and noticed the ID was larger than normal Aussie - Canandian style. I had not noticed before.