PDA

View Full Version : Aussie L1A1's in Vietnam

Slater
June 18, 2002, 19:46
How did the L1A1 work out in Vietnam? Were the Aussies satisfied with it's performance?

hagar
June 19, 2002, 00:14
They had no complaints about the rifle. Read the book "When the Buffalo fight". It was the ill disciplined and spoiled American soldiers they had issues with!

BKinzey
June 19, 2002, 00:26
I read "When the Buffalo fight" and I got the impression they wanted M16s, didn't they eventually end up with them? Great story BTW.

I would think in the dense jungle you'd want a light rifle, but maybe the light round wouldn't be too effective:confused:

hagar
July 24, 2011, 21:31
Sorry to resurrect it from the dead, but I found a great video elsewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2-OOQo13c&feature=player_profilepage

Andy the Aussie
July 25, 2011, 04:09
Originally posted by Slater
Were the Aussies satisfied with it's performance? ....yes, the only complaint being length and weight. Most wanted to carry the M16 but fight with the SLR .. ;)

Abominog
July 25, 2011, 14:05
It was recently discovered that the photos of Aussies carrying L1s in Vietnam were all actually staged photos shot near Cairns, most of them in August 1968; you'll note that a lot of the guys in the photos look alike, and that's because it's the same guy.

In fact, Australians actually never did serve in Vietnam. But rumour has it that the actor hired for the photos did complain that the L1 was too heavy, and asked if it really wouldn't make a difference if he were allowed to be photographed with an M16, since nobody in Sydney would notice anyhow.

John Culver
July 25, 2011, 15:36
Originally posted by Abominog
It was recently discovered that the photos of Aussies carrying L1s in Vietnam were all actually staged photos shot near Cairns, most of them in August 1968; you'll note that a lot of the guys in the photos look alike, and that's because it's the same guy.

In fact, Australians actually never did serve in Vietnam. But rumour has it that the actor hired for the photos did complain that the L1 was too heavy, and asked if it really wouldn't make a difference if he were allowed to be photographed with an M16, since nobody in Sydney would notice anyhow.

Was a relative of paul hogan IIRC

Andy the Aussie
July 25, 2011, 15:39
He was actually my Uncle... but I told you not to tell anyone 'Nog...!!! :mad:

martin35
July 26, 2011, 17:05
According to my younger (age 65) Aussie friend who is now a American citizen the Australians formed a special unit the 8th Royal Australian Regiment to serve in Vietnam, Australia was a signatoriy of the South East Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO) and as such was obligated, the Aussies were in Vietnam early on as advisers. I'm told a few even carried the Enfield jungle carbine.
They left in the early 70's before the American withdrawal.

Andy the Aussie
July 27, 2011, 05:13
Martin, 8RAR was not formed as a special unit for Vietnam it was simply another Infantry Btn that was raised during the period. All the Btns served at least one tour along with the SF and support units etc. I think (but I would need to check) that 1RAR sustained the most casualties. Their initial tour was attached to the 173rd ABN. As you said out advisers (AATTV) were there in the early 60s. I have never seen them pictured with Jungle Carbines but they did use M1 Carbines and got some of the first M16s we bought. The AATTV is still the most highly decorated unit of the Australian Army.

Andy

martin35
July 27, 2011, 10:10
My Aussie friend always was prone to over dressing his Treacle tarts, he served in the 8th and is my source. After he became a citizen here he became a avid gun collecter and has way too many high end FAL's amoung other weaponery. He put doubt in my mind when he claimed he and others wore panty hose to ward off leaches in the jungle, he was put off when I told him that accounted for the swishey way he walked.

Abominog
July 27, 2011, 12:04
Originally posted by martin35
He put doubt in my mind when he claimed he and others wore panty hose to ward off leaches in the jungle,

Common and effective solution...particularly if you've ever seen a foot long Asian leech fatter than a hotdog.

Sailor553
July 27, 2011, 12:18
I first saw the FAL when I was in SVN at Vung Tau. They were shouldered by a small group of Aussie troopers. A few months later, I left Saigon with a group of 4-Aussies and a Kiwi for our Hong Kong R&R. I purchased my first FAL in 1975 or 76 (before the bi-centennial IIRC) becuase of this chance encounter and memories of the effectivness of the NATO round in the jungle.