PDA

View Full Version : $60 bolts

fnogger
September 22, 2017, 17:13
http://palmettostatearmory.com/freedom-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-with-carpenter-158-bolt-516446915.html

I'm not an AR guy and I love my FAL but I've bought 2 ARs this year. And with $30 receivers and $60 bolts and sub-$400 complete rifles and sub-$700 complete AR-10s I'm wondering if it is time to switch...

Love the FN-FAL, but for what I can sell my G1 for I could get a decent AR-10 and a decent scope, maybe have some $ left over. I could sell my 22 conversion kit for the FAL and get a 15-22 or a dedicated upper for plinking. I can sell my 10/22 target rig for enough to build an accuracy oriented 22lr dedicated upper or complete rifle...

Am I crazy for thinking this?

ByronF
September 22, 2017, 19:03
I still hang out here, but sold my last FAL and Garand years ago. Guns stopped being fun, now are tools for a day I hope doesn't come. So made practical decisions despite emotional attachment to things. It's not an FAL world. I got with the program. Less variety, more standardization and more practice.

I have a few AR15. And a dedicated 22LR upper. Training. Standardization. Keep something if you love it. I still have other firearms I can't part with. But I acknowledge they are not the core of my toolbox. They're toys, like my motorcycle or fishing boat. Expendable.

Louis
September 23, 2017, 07:50
I bought a couple. Noticed that the description is the same as the premium bcg just no mention of tool grade steel for the extractor. MIM extractor? We will see.

MK ULTRA
September 23, 2017, 08:44
I bought a couple. Noticed that the description is the same as the premium bcg just no mention of tool grade steel for the extractor. MIM extractor? We will see.

If it has a tool heat-treated tool steel extractor it will be mentioned. I wouldn't buy a bolt w/o a HT tool steel extractor.

hueyville
September 23, 2017, 08:55
Out of stock already and odd, not seen any 6.8 bolts since ran the sale on those a couple months ago. Bought several of the nickle boron bolt carrier groups last time on sale and noticed they are $89 now. Might add a couple as add shot peened, HPT/MPI, tool steel extractor and the nickle boron plating for $29 extra bucks. If the $60 come back in stock have five White Oak Armament and twould ARP Superbolts can swap into the carriers and put the $60 group bolts in the spare parts bin. Almost every rifle I build put a cap in pistol grip and drop spare bolt and firing pin in grip. Any bolt, even with MIM parts will beat nothing if break bolt in field.

Mebsuta
September 26, 2017, 22:45
I guess it's good they are always TOOS over there, because I would have bought one and it would have turned into a rifel.

HankC
September 29, 2017, 11:17
Back in stock

the gman
September 29, 2017, 11:29
Back in stock

Aaaand out of stock again... :rofl:

HankC
September 29, 2017, 12:02
Aaaand out of stock again... :rofl:

Sorry, different P/N, same price. 9310 bolt instead 158.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56-nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-516446953.html?trk_msg=3A2EAPJPC6F4DFDLQ2CC12OP18&trk_contact=C7L9M435BU7HEJLTFHMG151944&trk_sid=KSVD40R246T3E6CMF6AN88DVD8&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-5-56-nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-516446953.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=11%3a00+Email

hueyville
September 29, 2017, 23:32
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56-nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-516446953.html?trk_msg=3A2EAPJPC6F4DFDLQ2CC12OP18&trk_contact=C7L9M435BU7HEJLTFHMG151944&trk_sid=KSVD40R246T3E6CMF6AN88DVD8&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-5-56-nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-516446953.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=11%3a00+Email

And that link is out of stock already as well.

the gman
September 30, 2017, 09:53

No worries, I found that after I posted so I apologize for being a smart ass... :wink::wink:

However, as I get dealer pricing on AR stuff from other distributors, I'm having a hard time forking over $60 for a BCG when I can buy a complete rifle kit sans lower but with LP GB and 10" FF rail for $245... :shades::shades: Add a $30 billet lower and I'm into an OK AR for under $300... :]:]

hueyville
September 30, 2017, 10:13
My issue is when buy the lower priced Palmetto bolt carrier groups feel obligated to swap out with a White Oak Armament or ARP bolt and use the non shot peened, non HPT/MPI mystery bolt as a spare, especially when no specs are given on extractor. I do buy them but have a pile of known bolts to swap in and then they go in pistol grip of rifle as a spare.

Since your lurking Gman, trust your opinion. Have a 13.7" Noveske Switchblock barrel to build. When thread on an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapter using a crush washer and torquing to 18 ft/lbs, using my 18" calipers (who has 18" caliper set?) from absolute rear of barrel extension to tip of flash hider is 16.15". Have had people claim measure from extension and others say from rear of actual barrel without extension. Want to keep it as short as posssible, compatable with my AAC 762SDN and 762SDN-6 suppressors but not end up in jail for illegal SBR. Find differing opinions on net and don't care to send letters to BATFE about building rifles.

hueyville
October 01, 2017, 10:35
Got email from Primary Arms selling Anderson stripped lowers for $29.99 this weekend. Unsure about shipping and how long lasts. Just got another six pack of lowers putting me at 30 which may be a lifetimes worth with what have already built. May start neckbearding though if get any cheaper.

the gman
October 01, 2017, 13:21
My issue is when buy the lower priced Palmetto bolt carrier groups feel obligated to swap out with a White Oak Armament or ARP bolt and use the non shot peened, non HPT/MPI mystery bolt as a spare, especially when no specs are given on extractor. I do buy them but have a pile of known bolts to swap in and then they go in pistol grip of rifle as a spare.

Since your lurking Gman, trust your opinion. Have a 13.7" Noveske Switchblock barrel to build. When thread on an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapter using a crush washer and torquing to 18 ft/lbs, using my 18" calipers (who has 18" caliper set?) from absolute rear of barrel extension to tip of flash hider is 16.15". Have had people claim measure from extension and others say from rear of actual barrel without extension. Want to keep it as short as posssible, compatable with my AAC 762SDN and 762SDN-6 suppressors but not end up in jail for illegal SBR. Find differing opinions on net and don't care to send letters to BATFE about building rifles.

Easy and correct way per BATFE: from bolt face to end of muzzle using a rod inserted in barrel with bolt closed will determine barrel length. Muzzle device only counts if it is permanently attached to barrel. We've hashed out what permanently attached means so no need to go further with that.

hueyville
October 01, 2017, 17:39
Easy and correct way per BATFE: from bolt face to end of muzzle using a rod inserted in barrel with bolt closed will determine barrel length. Muzzle device only counts if it is permanently attached to barrel. We've hashed out what permanently attached means so no need to go further with that.

Am short as had configured. These AAC 51T Blackout suppressor adapters been using add 1.875" to OAL of a given barrel according to AAC. From bolt face to end of device on a 14.7" barrel using no washer math comes up 16.575" but just measured four rifles with bolt dropped as hard as rifles allow and real life measement was 16.579" to 16.581". Did some digging in my specialty fastener bin and surfaced a 3/8" thick hardened steel washer, surfaced it a tad, stacked a crush on top, torqued and measured, torqued a little more and at 15 ft/lbs with bolt closed in extension have 16.09" to 16.11" according to measuring to front or rear of scribed line in aluminum rod stock from bolt face end of flash hider. Flash hider has a shoulder that hides the stacked washers so just four equidistant tack welds from it being a done deal and ready to assemble onto an upper.

This will be my first 6.8 with a Noveske barrel and expect it to give me an unfair advantage as my 5.56 Noveske barrels do. Have a deal cut for another of these and an 18" both new and never built from a reputible guy. When finish these, the last pair of ARP and the Bison (need stamps on two suppressors for one stamp welded can SBR's), will have 16 total 6.8's from 11.5" suppressed Bison (1:7 for stabilizing heavy subsonics), 12.5" suppressed ARP, pair of Noveske 13.7", big wad of mixed make 14.7", 16", 18" on up to 20" ARP 3R. Loaded another 1,300 rounds of 6.8 and have 16,500 rounds in my long term storage lockers and about 4,000 cases in the range rotation with more on the way so pretty much no turning back from 6.8 as my number two AR cartridge. Have three primary loadings, two mid weights for long barrels and fast twist barrels and one subsonic load. Just finished third 22 Nosler but with 1,000 to 2,000 round expected barrel life won't have to stockpile to feed them. Trying to promise myself that 5.56, 6.8 and 22 Nosler is going to be only AR cartridges will own (The 5.728's are my wifes) but if a 6.8 gets necked down to 6mm or 22 Nosler gets necked up to 6.5mm and gain factory support for parts and ammunition might not be able to resist.

This is a great time to be piddling with AR's because except for nice barrels, everything else is cheap. Glad Noveske, White Oak, Lothar, Wilson and other are able to keep good barrels profitable as would get really bored screwing together Palmetto daily deal barrels. They are o.k. for cheap lead hoses but not generally worthy of sniping varmints at silly distances.

jugrunner
October 01, 2017, 17:49
http://palmettostatearmory.com/freedom-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-with-carpenter-158-bolt-516446915.html

I'm not an AR guy and I love my FAL but I've bought 2 ARs this year. And with $30 receivers and $60 bolts and sub-$400 complete rifles and sub-$700 complete AR-10s I'm wondering if it is time to switch...

Love the FN-FAL, but for what I can sell my G1 for I could get a decent AR-10 and a decent scope, maybe have some $ left over. I could sell my 22 conversion kit for the FAL and get a 15-22 or a dedicated upper for plinking. I can sell my 10/22 target rig for enough to build an accuracy oriented 22lr dedicated upper or complete rifle...

Am I crazy for thinking this?

Yes, you are crazy for thinking this .. :uhoh: .. why "settle" for "decent" (your words) .. ?? .. when you have the best .. ??

your little .22 cal bullet is 10 ft to the left @ 350 yards in a strong wind .. (maybe a stretch .. ?? .. 5 ft .. ??

just sayin' ..

Back to Topic: I just purchased a "Nickle/Boron" plated B&C from Stag Arms .. $89.00 and maybe some change .. it's super slick .. !!

hueyville
October 01, 2017, 20:44
Add an AR to your battle rifle as a poodle shooter will never be a battle rifle as the troops in Iraq and Afganistan learned fast.

the gman
October 02, 2017, 22:15
Huey, one of the things we used to do on the 14.5" barrels to make length while using a standard A2 flash hider was machine up extended crush washers from pieces of old barrels we'd chopped up. Pretty much like you did with your hardened washer. We used silver solder to perm attach rather than welds or blind pins with welds but each to his own.:shades:

Am I missing something with your measurements? You reference 16.575 and other measurements in excess of 16" so color me confused because all you need to be is 16.1" from bolt face to end of muzzle device. Don't make life any harder than it needs to be... :biggrin:

hueyville
October 03, 2017, 10:00
16.575" is math on my 14.7" barrels with the manufactuers stated length device adds to barrel. My 14.7" barrels with the AAC 51T actually measure 16.579" to 16.581" from bolt face. Have removed blind pins and "tack welded" devices on many occasions. Tack welds are easier for me and save putting a pin through threads at thinnest part of muzzle area at times and moves the permanent attachment point to thicker shoulder area or with AAC device about a half inch behind it. With proper tools and care, once the welds are snipped, barrel just needs some touch up on a wheel and shows almost zero blemishes on it, especially after finish is touched up. Device shows a little as do my cutting into the device rather than barrel but when reuse weld at same places used first time so devict loops same when reused. Have purchased rifles (many factory done) that by time grind into device to find both sides of pin so able to drift it out, device is mangled. Then when pin driven out and device removed have a big mangled up mess of threads. (Springfield SAR 4800's were not fun to swap over) As always your feedback makes me feel better as gives me an idea can Google and confirm opposed to other opinions that get mix of opinons both supporting and opposing.

For anyone who wants a Franklin Binary Optics planet is same price as others but free shipping.

FALonious
October 06, 2017, 04:59
Back in stock

Cosmo
October 21, 2017, 14:28
Salad Days, my friends.

HankC
October 21, 2017, 14:49
Seems like it is regularly on sale at $60 shipped now. PSA is dumping 5.56 ARs?

fnogger
October 22, 2017, 08:25
Seems like it is regularly on sale at $60 shipped now. PSA is dumping 5.56 ARs?

Not just PSA, prices are down everywhere.

My bet is that companies ordered heavy anticipating a continuing panic and now they have to pay for and/or store all of those parts. So discount 'em good and get the cash flowing.

hueyville
October 22, 2017, 12:53
One LGS has stack of over dozen Smith M&P 15's priced $479 out the door. Melonite 20,000 round barrels, all good components. With $9 in springs and some time with hammer/sear jig squaring all mating surfaces and hone/polish can get trigger to crisp 3.25 pounds and 100% reliable igniting even hard primers. Have lot more in back, plan to wait till after Christmas but before December 31sf inventory taxss due and see how many can get in the $400 to $420 range like I need more new in box Smith's.

Louis
October 22, 2017, 15:51
Primary arms has the Anderson lowers for $29.99, ordered three w/ shipping @ $99.89.

I received the bcg from palmetto. Extractor is tooled steel, no mim. Key is staked well too. For a beater range carbine/truck gun, I'm fine with it.

Louis
October 24, 2017, 08:56
I ordered a couple when they first went on sale. They arrived and looked good to go. The last order I placed was about a week ago after they went out of stock and came back up, the one I got in this last order is much different. The carrier is not a standand fa carrier, it has the blocked off side contour like the AIM carriers, gas key was kind of staked, not to standard and the bolt was roughly machines. Definitely not the same source on that last one. I'm not disappointed really, just reporting what I found.