PDA

View Full Version : Single shot 50 bmg build ?

falbuild
September 22, 2017, 00:03
Picked up a 50 bmg barrel. Now I'm thinking of a simple build using the barrel.
Something along the line of a single shot, maybe falling block action. Complete scratch build since all the commercial 50 bmg actions are too expensive. Use a FAL/HK/AR trigger pack.

Anyone know of a simple 50 BMG design that can be fabricated easily ?

tommygun2000
September 22, 2017, 02:48
What ever you build, build it strong.

stoicrabbit
September 22, 2017, 08:00
There is a link in a post here on FALfiles to pretty informative step by step guide for building a .50 using a 50bmg barrel. You might try searching for it.

stoicrabbit
September 22, 2017, 08:06
There is a link in a post here on FALfiles to pretty informative step by step guide for building a .50 using a 50bmg barrel. You might try searching for it.

Found the post with the links. Unfortunately the FALfiles member that posted past away and his links are dead. Maybe someone here had archived the prints.

Thomas
September 24, 2017, 15:13
I have a set of plan book for sale.
and a receiver that you might adapt.
send me a p/m if interested.
Thomas

SAFN49
September 25, 2017, 13:58
The shell holder bolt style was good for home builders. They used to sell kits but the guy making them went to prison.

blueyedfaler
September 27, 2017, 09:34
I built one based off a 700 action with a fal lower trigger group. you need at min a good lathe. do you machine skills?

falbuild
October 05, 2017, 20:25
I've looked at the maadi-griffen & the holmes plans. Also looked at other builds
at weaponsguild. All too complicated for me since I don't have any milling machines or lathes. However a falling block single shot wouldn't require all
the complications & lugs. Just a big chunk of steel with a hole in one end to
hold the barrel & a block with a hole for the firing pin on the other end. I'll start small with a .22 & work my way up.

biyf
October 16, 2017, 11:12
Unless you an experienced machinist and have built other high-pressured rifles from scratch before, I would not suggest trying to build a 50 BMG anything.

Anybody who has heard of or seen what can happen when a GI does not follow proper headspace and timing procedure with a Ma Duece will likely tell you the same thing.

Thomas
October 16, 2017, 12:04
Do you have someone who does heat treat?

falbuild
October 19, 2017, 18:13
No heat treating planned. I'll buy some already hardened pieces for the contact area. The bigger the contact area, the greater the spread of pressure & thus less need for hard surface.

Thomas
October 20, 2017, 12:31
There was a 50 upper for sale on the files the last couple of days.
No paperwork and less expensive than tooling to mill and lathe..