PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum G3 magazines

Moody
September 21, 2017, 09:48
Hello all,

I've noticed something peculiar and I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I was doing wrong myself.
The overwhelming majority of times that i shoot my PTR91 I use steel magazines, however I got a good deal on some aluminum magazines a couple of years back back and I used to shoot them on occasion. The ones that I used were NIW. I have noticed that after a while of shooting,200-500rds, through them the lips on the top of the magazine will protrude up, very slightly further than they did to begin with, and the bolt will scrape on the magazine every couple of rounds or so and not seat all the way causing the firing pin not to strike the primer hard enough to set it off.
This is the only problems I've ever had with my rifle and when I switched to only using steel mags the problem ceased.
Has anyone else ever had a similar problem with aluminum magazines?

lew
September 21, 2017, 11:53
I only use aluminum mags in my PTR and have not had this issue.

wanneroo
September 23, 2017, 21:21
Nope haven't had that problem. The Germans considered the aluminum ones disposable in a 1980's conflict, which is why they had 60 million of them on hand and why they are so cheap surplus today. If you are having problems with a particular magazine(s) I'd just chuck it as these are plentiful to find and will be for a while.

superjc
September 24, 2017, 22:49
I have a ten rounder made from a chopped aluminum, my main PTR mag for 7-8 years, if finally wore out. It's like the feed lips bowed out and the follower retainer tabs also outta alignment and it doesn't feed right at all.